Motor home or any travel staying safe

We purchased a new Tiffin motorhome last year and I had a ‘experience’ I had never had. Since I did not know exactly how much I would spend and there was a branch of the bank I use only 2 blocks from the dealer my plan was to get final price, go to bank, and have them cut a bank check from my account. When we finished the paper work I told the dealership I was headed to the bank and would be right back. It was then I was asked, “are you packing”? I was completely taken off guard by this but then they explained, “lock vehicle doors, park in front, go straight inside, return and quickly leave, no stops anywhere.” This was in Memphis, TN.
This last week we drove very near the same place and with things being as they are I made sure I passed through during bright daylight hours. Now I find while that helps, it may not be enough since they are dragging people out of vehicles in Santa Monica. Motor Homes are "targets’ since the people in them are often older and tend to carry more cash. I’m doing my best to avoid bigger cities by taking longer state highways and bypassing the city interstate route well before I reach it. That’s not as easy near Memphis since I needed to cross the Mississippi River. I never thought I would see the day in America where I thought it prudent to carry more than my pocket pistol and to avoid whole cities. These sewer rats are going to grab the wrong person, in the wrong state, in the wrong city, and I’m thinking that time is very near. I will not post exactly how we were armed, but it was a tad bit more than just my pocket pistol. I refuse to be a easy victim.
Anyway my point in this is plan your travel routes and be prepared for that which you thought only happened in 3rd world countries. Stay safe my friends.

5 Likes

We have a travel trailer and pretty much never stray to far from the freeway getting gas or food, until we get to our final destination. I think with the Marxist revolution that is going on now it is more challenging to be able to identify higher risk areas.

Even before these times we are in now, I wish there was a map showing high risk or higher crime areas. They have this on the game SimCity. I’m sure your local department of public safety has this but it may not be PC to publish it publicly.

1 Like

With freeways getting blocked (see Atlanta) I’m planning to avoid them around bigger cities. I’m happy traveling backroads anyway and usually not in a hurry to be anywhere. The WAZE app works pretty well for early real time heads up.

3 Likes

Staying on, or close to, the interstates does not make you safer. Certainly can give you options, at the same time you could end up trapped with no escape route. It is hard, especially if you are in unfamiliar areas.

We had planned a Washington Coast trip this fall, with a trip on the side to see Seattle. Completely nixed that trip, and don’t know if we will plan that one again. Doubt we will do Oregon either (CCW laws at the minimum are a reason why). Instead we are planning on doing ND and SD, mostly the western side. Lots of little things to do before we get down to Rushmore/Deadwood/Black Hills.

2 Likes

I pheasant hunt each year near Aberdeen SD, both SD and ND, which means I normally drive through Memphis, Springfield, Kansas City, Sioux falls and Sioux City, on my trip. This summer the wife wants to go to SD and ND so I plan to change my route from Tuscaloosa and go across Mississippi, Arkansas, and into Oklahoma, before going up.

1 Like

We’ve traveled here, and the Badlands. Super fun and we ran into zero crime. Have fun, post pix.

1 Like

One of my sons is working in Memphis right now. He does a lot of traveling for work. We’ve reviewed a lot of safety and self-defense concepts lately.

Have you considered reinforcing the doors, @William220? Would there be a way to beef up the whole door area?

1 Like

The simple answer is yes you could improve door security. As it sits it has 2 locks with one being a dead bolt. The biggest issue to me is the lack of maneuverability with a large vehicle or one towing a trailer. Your turning radius is very large. Also these vehicle have a high center of gravity which makes rollover a issue. I feel it to be prudent not to get into a situation where you are stopped so I lean on avoidance.
Back to Memphis. The RV dealer was located a short distance south of Graceland. When we first pulled in I noticed the very high chain link fence topped with razor wire / concertina wire. What really stood out was the HIGH Voltage security fence inside the chainlink a few yards. I forget the voltage, but suffice it to say it wasn’t your cow pasture electric fence.

1 Like

William, Southern Idaho is a great peaceful place, and recommend a stop in Cody, WY. If you get to Idaho, we have plenty of parking, garden hose, power, etc.(not many trees on the parking area) AND our own range. PM us if you come this way, and you’re most welcome! PS also recommend Island Park area outside of Jellystone park…

2 Likes

William, also recommend Teddy Roosevelt Park, and Medora. We do some work in Dickinson, ND, every year. Jackson, WY is another tourist trap, but the country is gorgeous!

Speaking of bird hunting, we lost a great fellow, family, and customer in SD last year in an airplane accident. Tragically sad. But they all had a great hunt!

1 Like

Thank you vary much!!

On another forum we were discussing this staying safe while on the road topic. One poster gave me some grief about my being ‘afraid’ and taking actions to avoid trouble I might never encounter. They pointed out that I was in far more danger from a accident. Of course they were completely off target. It occurs to me that maybe I did a poor job explaining my point in here as well. I have carried daily and traveled for many years while armed. It is as natural as having my wallet on me. I do not even think about it, I just do. I operate under the personal rule of avoiding trouble. It is my thinking that there is no good outcome from using force other than pure survival. It will screw with your life and I’m fine with taking reasonable precautions to avoid it. I’ve nothing to prove. What I consider to be reasonable may not work for you. So in answer to my friend on the other forum I said this, “The risk of a crash is always there. The risk of being forced to defend not so much.” I’m not afraid for myself, I’m afraid of being forced to harm another and the results after such action.

1 Like

There’s nothing wrong with discrete. I agree.