Most important 2 steps to shooting good

If a person was to say, what is most important to shooting accurately many things will be said.
If I asked what the two most important things are to shooting accurately then the arguments start.
I watched this video and I have to agree with him. What do you think?

15 Likes

Good grip and trigger finger manipulation for sure. I’m gonna hit the weights more to build bigger guns, and workout the forearms more! :sweat:

7 Likes

If it wasn’t midnight, I’d be on my way to the range!

4 Likes

The one think he said that I totally 100% agree with. “As long as it hit’s the target”. To me that’s what matters. Is it pretty, is it technical or is it effective.

11 Likes

If you have your sights and finger pull down, then it can get all better from just that!

7 Likes

OK, this may sound creepy but here goes.

Did you see the size of the guns on that guy? I’m not talking about the Desert Sand colored one…

8 Likes

He’s got the hands of an iron worker.

7 Likes

He is absolutely right about trigger finger isolation. This is the key for accuracy.
However lack of good stance may work for him, it won’t work for shooter who weighs 120 lb or so.
Everyone can shoot with two fingers, with closed eyes, standing on one foot… if you know basics… But the basics are the same :

1. Stance - it doesn’t need to be great stance, it just has to counteract the recoil
  2. Grip - must be firm for multiple shots
  3. Sight picture and alignment - you need those unless your natural point of aim is perfectly learned and consistent
  4. Trigger finger isolation - the key for accuracy, that’s the most important part of speed and accuracy.

But 4 cannot be perfect without 1, 2 and 3. It can be only as good as you know the basics.

10 Likes

Moving off the X and shooting being the best plan for survival the stance would not be practical while moving.

7 Likes

Yes… Moving is important in self defense situations… but if we still considering accurate shoots, in most cases we move, then stand still for a shot, then move again. Stance still plays a role.

2 Likes

At Tactical Defense Institute they say that 90% of shooting is in the trigger press (or whatever word you want to use for manipulating the trigger.)

For a Smith and Wesson pistol, unload it, balance a dime on the front sight and manipulate the trigger without the dime falling off. Do that until you can do it ten times in a row. It’s much harder (not impossible) to do with stock Glock sights because the front sight post is so small.

There are different theories for grip (crush grip, 60/40, etc). Different stances. Different things your supposed to do with arms, etc. So, I agree with TDI that 90% is in the trigger.

9 Likes

I was enjoying the video until he started the talking the ads. Blah, blah, blah hate listening to them.

6 Likes

I don’t have time to watch the video right now, but here are the two most important things for shooting a handgun accurately

1. Front sight on the target
  2. Press trigger without moving front sight

If you do those two things on any given shot, it should generally hit the target

Other things tend to matter for rapidity of follow up shots or other non “shooting good” stuff like “not getting shot back” etc, but, for any given shot, it’s those two things

13 Likes

@Nathan57 That is exactly what the video was all about.

4 Likes

.Nice.

3 Likes

i have been using pretty much this same technique to teach trigger control and grip hand isolation for a while. granted i usually use a spent 9mm casing instead of a dime because its easier to get it to sit to begin with lol

and i have one andendum to make, because hes claiming this is aimed at the novice shooter, and in my experience, the novices shooters biggest issue is fear of the gun in their hands. the biggest hurdle i usually experience with truely NEW shooters is breaking them of shot anticipation, which is usually 80% what causes both slapping/yerking the trigger and involuntary hand clench

8 Likes

100% agree. I usually find dimes in my home quicker than spent 9mm casings. :grin:

Also agree on the fear of the gun. I took some friends shooting. Big tough guy persona. His dad was actually a police firearms trainer (who shot himself in front of a class of students, BTW). He was scared to death to shoot. He actually wanted to shoot the Ruger Single Six first and had to work him up to 9mm.

4 Likes

you know the fear of the gun when you see it. they try to get every part of themself as far away from the gun as possible while still holding it to shoot it

i constantly have to remind people that the GUN shouldn’t be feared, it should be respected, but not feared. you can’t build skills confidence on top of fear. understand what the gun is, how it functions, how to use it, clean and service it. understand the consequences for its misuse and the finality of its purpose. with understanding we conquer fear by removing the unknown.

11 Likes

Quote-worthy.

3 Likes

you can steal it if you want, im pretty sure i stole that from an instructor somewhere along the way lol

5 Likes