Most important 2 steps to shooting good

As I was once told:
The front sight will move around as you pull the trigger. Do your best to time it so that the gun goes off when the sights are aligned and on target.

PS we were shooting revolvers and could see the hammer. Don’t know how to do this with a striker fired pistol.

Most important 2 steps to shooting good
ARGGGGHHH!

Most important 2 steps to shooting good well

(Not goodly? No, WELL)

3 Likes

That is a sub category, yes, absolutely.

There is going to be some wobble. Generally in a figure eight/infinity sign shape. For defensive shooting, generally, instructors will say to ‘accept the wobble’, but some will also teach, if you’re going for a very precise shot, apply more pressure to the trigger as you approach the center of that wobble (the target) and hold your current pressure as it wobbles off.

4 Likes

So step #1 is to use good grammar? :joy:

4 Likes

I tend not to think too much about the wobbling and work on a quick draw and hitting center mass point shooting. I found for me if I practice dry fire draw and aim it directly transfers to actual draw and fire. I set up a tea cup and draw until I can look down at the site and it’s on the tea cup.

1 Like

So step #1 is to use good grammar?

Nope, good grammar is step 0.
Of course, also having a good grampar does make the early training better.

3 Likes

This is what I call “Minute-of-bad-guy” accuracy and is what I train for. Sure, it can be fun to stack holes in the X ring, but for practical shooting I want to make multiple hits in the center mass region with confidence.

8 Likes

Absolutely, in the target thread you can see once I started to get dialed back in from not shooting all winter- I started doing dbl taps with the holes over lapping or just touching. Now to work on hitting dead center instead of spraying the torso.

3 Likes

I just remember no matter what I do or how I act my gun is going to shoot straight. where the bullet impacts is where I was pointing at, as long as I have my sight alignment and sight picture, I am going to hit where I am pointing it.

5 Likes

There’s a 3rd that too often gets overlooked. I’ll use the following. I used to shoot high power with an individual that was one of the best shooters I’ve seen. My father in law talked him into joining us on a deer hunt. He’d never hunted before. You know where this is going. There was a nice buck about 350 out. He was the newbie so he got first shot….he missed! When I started shooting competition, targets I could hit every time, I would occasionally miss. The 3rd factor is the stress that certain situations bring into play. The idea of learning the basics cannot be underestimated. But there’s no substitute for competition to bring stress into play. It’s like the person who can shoot free throws like nobody’s business, but when it means the game, then what. As people who carry firearms, the game, when the time comes, will not be forgiving. Practice 1&2 until it’s 2nd nature, but however you decide, give #3 some consideration.

3 Likes

Thought you were going to say he bagged one 500 yards out.

1 Like

I’m guessing about ‘95 we were in Utah outside Monroe, and Elmer, if anyone shares this with you, Elmer got an elk with his 300 Win.Mag at 700 yds per our primitive GPS.

2 Likes

I totally agree with doing anything you can to introduce some stress and variety into your practice. I was at the range this morning. Before I go I always have a list of drills I’m going to practice. Maybe its reloads, maybe draws, maybe point shooting, whatever. In any case, I always have a shot timer running to add the stress of time and random start delays, and seeing how I compare to past sessions. Basically, I compete against myself. It’s not much, but always shaking things up can’t hurt, I figure.

I was shocked that, at a full range with 8 lanes, I was the only one doing drills or with a timer. Two lanes had brand new shooters getting lessons. That’s awesome. The rest were full of guys standing in perfect isoscelese stance burning through magazine after magazine at targets 10 yards out. Okay, that gets expensive fast.

1 Like

You might already know but does the range allow for movement in your lane? One of the reasons I built my own range. I know how to be safe and I set the rules.

1 Like

Good question. I never saw anything in the range rules restricting it. I’ve always practiced all kinds of drills there and the RO is fine with it. It’s a small family owned place and I’m pretry regular there, so maybe they let me get away with more than people they don’t know, but generally they seem pretty cool with real life practice. The owner is a USCCA instructor and he’s who got me involved with the USCCA.

2 Likes

I don’t think I have ever once gone to an indoor range and heard the beep of another person’s timer, or seen another person with a shot timer, outside of going to a structured competition

Not many people train on the clock.

3 Likes

What about “gooder?”

2 Likes

Even bestest!

3 Likes

Hmm, gooderer would be betterer.

6 Likes

Good grammar is important if you’re trying to present something and appear knowledgeable in that topic.

1 Like