Mossberg Shockwave 590 Firearm

Will replacing the Raptor Grip with a tactical brace on the Mossberg Shockwave 590 legal?

3 Likes

It’s a pump action shotgun, so it’s got that going for it. The Shockwave iirc identifies as an AOW which allows for the short barrel, so thinking a brace is going to change that identity…not worth the mod imo. Fun gun for 2 rounds, then the novelty wears off
Fwiw, I have the Mossberg 500 “tactical persuader”, ATI 6 position collapsible stock and pistol grip, 18.5" barrel. Slugs at 100 yards, yet good larping as a room clearer.Totally legal even in my commie state. My son has the Scorpion, newer version same gun.

3 Likes

No it’s not legal, that will make it an illegal SBS “short barrel shotgun”. :thinking:

2 Likes

I’d say it’s best to leave it as it comes. The awful grip gets it over 26” and under 26.5” from my understanding.

Someone let me fire theirs a few times. It was fun shooting from the hip but painful to the firing hand when shooting, trying to hold it where you could look down the barrel.

1 Like

Thanks to all for your replies. I will try the mini shells and see if they reduce the
kickback.

3 Likes

You may want to consider an adapter with the Minnie shells. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks Bruce, it was delivered this afternoon.

3 Likes

Don’t change the grip - doing so will make it illegal without the tax stamp. I have the Tac14, same size, different maker. I don’t find the raptor grip hard to shoot at all; much better and easier to control than a standard pistol grip shotgun.

They are a challenge to shoot accurately because you have to look straight down the barrel, risking your teeth if it’s too close to your face.

I added the Crimson Trace Sidesaddle and can shoot quickly and accurately from any angle out to 25 yards. Haven’t tried any further than that.

PS: Low recoil rounds are ideal, under 1200 fps.

3 Likes

I challenge you to a box of 3” magnums then. I’d much rather have a standard pistol grip and the 18” barrel vs the 14” barrel and raptor grip. The guys I saw couldn’t physically hold onto it with 3” magnums while trying to aim. It actually came out of his hands and hit the ground.

1 Like

Challenge accepted. Send them to me.

4 Likes

I love shottys, but definitely want a real butt stock set up.
As much as I enjoyed Mad Max with his double barreled pistol shotty I don’t think I would enjoy shooting it very much, let alone something like the shockwave.
Even shooting from the hip I utilize the butt stock by sandwiching the side of it between my hip and arm.

3 Likes

I’d like to but unfortunately they are out of stock. Only three inch I saw are lightweight steel loads that nobody wants.

1 Like

I have no practical use for 3" magnum loads anyway, but thanks for the offer. This is for home defense and travel, not hunting elk.

3 Likes

I did see a couple of different flavors of mini shells in stock at midway yesterday.

I always add a box of ammunition to my order during the free shipping offers, so they can’t send my order through the postal service. The mini shells showed up near the top when I sorted from price low to high. I believe it was 10 round boxes though.

Looking forward to an update on the effectiveness of the device for feeding the minis!

2 Likes

There is a strap available that goes on the birds head. It keeps the hand from slipping and make it more controllable.

4 Likes

If you plan on using Mini Shells you’ll need an OpSol miniclip. It rides in the elevator that lifts the shell from the magazine to the chamber, otherwise the round will drop in the slot in the elevator and and not chamber.

2 Likes

Thanks again Berry. I found 4/0 buckshot and #8 bird shot at Bass Pro yesterday.

2 Likes

Free ship on $149.

1 Like