Minors and handguns

can my 16 year old stepson shoot my handgun under supervision at a range assuming the range doesn’t have a rule against it?

4 Likes

FYI I’m in Wisconsin

1 Like

Different ranges have different rules based on their insurance. You’d be better off asking the range you plan to go to whether it’s allowed or not. Chances are they won’t have a problem, but best to check with them.

I called a couple ranges and found one that allowed my kids when they were under 10. They were happy to have younger shooters get involved. The ones who didn’t allow younger kids ONLY did so because of insurance limitations otherwise they too would have liked to have younger shooters come in.

5 Likes

I’ve been taking my boys to one range or another for handguns and rifles since they were 13 and I was sure they understood and can practice the basic rules of handling a firearm. I made them practice trigger discipline, loading, unloading, clearing, etc. at home with dummy rounds before taking them to the range.

I did a quick search of ranges in WI and the couple I clicked on definitely allowed minors accompanied by an adult over 21.

4 Likes

I don’t see any reason why not. At that age anyone can go to a range. That’s a perfect age to start learning.

7 Likes

Cool thanks

2 Likes

A few months after I bought my first gun, I introduced my daughter to shooting when she was 17. The indoor range had me sign a waiver.

3 Likes

It is legal, unless the range has a rule.

When I was 16, I carried a handgun and a long gun while hunting. I simply could not purchase the handgun, and am still unclear if I owned it or my father did… but it is mine now… decades later.

3 Likes

At Hoover Tactical in Al. you can.

1 Like

From what I understand FEDERALLY you can, in most STATES you can in Certain LOCALITIES it may be a criminal offense. God help you if you put it on Fakebook, Twitterpated or Instawoke.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

In the real world, maturity means more than years. I know nine year olds who can responsibly handle guns and thirty years olds who can’t. Just sayin’

5 Likes

The range where I work (in WI) allows children over the age of 7 to shoot with a parent/guardian next to them.

At 18, individuals can shoot by themselves on the range but cannot buy handgun ammo or rent handguns, rifles and rifle ammo is OK.

4 Likes