Michigan Knife Preemption

So knife preemption is in the works and i couldn’t be more excited! @Zee lets hope this goes the distance!

3 Likes

That is one thing I wish Alabama would do. As they let municipalities make their own knife laws.

3 Likes

Right now Michigan does too. I have a big fixed blade i can carry anywhere in my county, but if i go downstate the laws vary from town to city to county. It’s really dumb imo.

4 Likes

Better than ours. We literally can not carry Bowie knives in Alabama, because our legislators in the 1890’s would duel each other with them. True story.

3 Likes

Cool, I travel to Da UP often, will keep an eye on this one. Thanks. :wink:

2 Likes

@BRUCE26
Most of the UP is cool with whatever knife you want to carry. As a bonafide Yooper I enjoy this freedom. Would be nice to be able to carry my knives wherever I want in the State though.

2 Likes

@Spence I am from Da UP to. I was a Corrections Officer at the Iron Co. S.O. for nine years. I saw two people get arrested and serve time for having cheap made in china so called swords. Of course this was the State Police. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

MSP is always a toss up. Some are cool and some are ridiculous. All of them hate being proven wrong.

3 Likes

Who would have thought this would ever be necessary?

3 Likes

Look at London. Pointed knives are banned.

It took the Americans With Disabilities Act to legalize “automatic” opening knives, aka switchblades, in Michigan. However most local jurisdictions still ban them. The hodge podge legal here but not here is a bunch of crap.

3 Likes

Soon to be followed with any pointy object and any motor vehicle larger than a scooter because they can all be used as weapons. Let’s not forget rocks.

3 Likes

@Spence

Learn something new everyday. I had no idea that it was the ADA that made switchblades legal.

I remember getting my first one in a knife of the month club. I about stroked. Called and dropped my membership.

Switch blades were serious time, when I was young. I still get nervous when I’m at a forge store looking for something unique, and they show me a switchblade.

2 Likes

It wasn’t the ADA itself, but one of the big arguments was that many disabilities prevented the proper use of a normal folding knife and any laws banning said knives were putting undo burdens on disabled individuals. It ended up being a big help in that push.

3 Likes

Not true.
Cannot:

• sell a knife to anyone under 18, unless it has a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62 cm) or less
  • carry a knife in public without good reason, unless it has a folding blade with a cutting edge 3 inches long or less

There is more at: https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

1 Like

Currently Virginia has fairly reasonable knife laws (https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title18.2/chapter7/section18.2-308/). Open carry most knives, any length, except “prohibited” knives, such as switch blades, and conceal carry any length folding knife, as long as it isn’t one of the “prohibited” knives.

We are working on the switch blade law. However, spring-assist and finger-flippers are legal. Apparently, just like with firearm laws, the anti-rights legislators don’t have any real-world knowledge of knives, either. The legislators probably get their knife knowledge from watching West Side Story before each session.

1 Like