Media - gun violence

I was watching the news last night and the theme was INCREASE GUN VIOLENCE,

First of all I feel for all those who have lost their lives unnecessarily / Children / Innocent bystanders etc , its a tragedy,

It does bother me that guns have been associated to those crimes / deaths

with the significance of losing someone I do understand the emotional pain and trauma

My feelings are that 99% of these unfortunate circumstances were/are related to illegal guns

Overall this has a huge impact on Guns, Gun Owners and Ammunition to those against Guns

I also recognize that many Gun Organization like this one do their best to fight for the rights given to us

I worry due to the focus / Media that this becomes a extremely difficult battle -

I wonder what can Me/We do to help win these battles

I live in a State that I a humble to - No Registration / No Permit / Open Carry / CC is a little challenging and I was going to fight some of those requirements / but decided I was already ahead of the game compared to other states so I didn’t rock that boat

But surely there is something we can do ? / I am sure if guns were not involved it would be another weapon. but the facts are it is Gun Violence, by criminals / not gun owners - well there are some related to owners which defeats the cause

Just curious on what is the though

5 Likes

More deaths by sweetened drinks, meat filled with chemicals, and junk food but no one cares about that. Those things also put folks at much higher risk for other things, including COVID but no one cares about that. Firearms are the least of American’s worries and we’re wasting resources arguing about it. What we need is smarter people. Smarter people would ignore the Oprah/Springer folk out there calling themselves journalists and get on with their days. It would solve itself.

5 Likes

It’s not a lack of caring. It’s the immediacy of the death for the purported cause than it is a matter of caring. You’re just as dead either way, but none of us get out of this life alive, anyway.

2 Likes

Perhaps. But if people were healthier, many would not be dying or even getting sick from COVID. And people who live a long time with health issues are a major drag on the system. How is this better? Maybe outlaw crap that folks put in their bodies and watch health care costs go down…

2 Likes

It’s a choice, like so many things in life. You can not outlaw choice.

3 Likes

You can’t legislate choice, but you can improve the quality of food sold.
Hormones to increase growth rate, milk output, egg production
Preservative to make packaged good last longer than some new houses will stand.
Artificial sweeteners, super sweeteners.unhealty oils used for ‘texture’
Etc
Etc

2 Likes

We outlaw choice all of the time.

2 Likes

Agreed, sort of. I would have probably strangled a few people by now if that choice wasn’t illegal. But I still made the choice not to choose the choice that was illegal.

1 Like

Guns are the scapegoat of inept leadership. I hate to say it, but look at the leadership of the cities where this is happening. They need to find something other than their own policies such as defunding police, no bail, etc that have directly reduced the consequences of actions. We all know that a gun is a tool, and it is the person wielding the tool that is good or evil. If someone snapped their fingers and all the guns were gone, right now, the violence would not go away. You would see it committed with cars, knives, hammers, bombs, you name it. The evil in a persons heart does not go away simply because a mechanism of that evil goes away. If I wanted to bore you all, I could write a dissertation on the hows and why’s, but I will save you the boredom. We all know it intuitively.

There is also a huge effort to villainize guns. Why? Simple. Look at gun sales numbers. Record sales month after month after month. And this is with record numbers of first time gun buyers. If gun control is going to be a viable topic in the future, they must be painted as evil. These new gun owners must be made to see the errors of their ways.

7 Likes

…it’s the path of least resistance in terms of the blame game. Gives most politicians, hell anyone for that matter, an easy out for their lack of accountability and piss poor decision making.

4 Likes

I think the question is what we can do ?

I understand all the opinions / it turned into foods - but as gun owners do we sit back or do we do something

1 Like

Its all about voting and education. Unfortunately, at this point, I dont think anything is going to turn around in regards to coverage and action, but it has to be long game. It is talk to people, friends, neighbors, etc. in a respectful manner and in a way that people will listen to the message and encourage people to use other media outlets. The problem is that this is political, and the democratic politicians who are doing things like defunding police which is creating the increase in violence, are getting cover from a liberal media. That is hard to fight. So, people have to understand there is more than just what is said on mainstream media outlets. If you know someone who does not own a gun, offer to take them to the range or to do something to expose them to one. Take that fear away. In the current environment of political and social unrest, as we are seeing in gun sales, people who never thought they would be interested or have been strong anti-gun are suddenly finding themselves re-thinking their position.

In all honesty, the solution to “gun violence” is more guns. Legal guns in the hands of law-abiding citizens. If the people in these communities had the tools and training to defend themselves, you would find that crime and violence would go down. After all, an armed society is a polite society. So, in order to create that, its got to be a grass-roots effort from all of us to teach and create new shooters and gun owners, who then share with other friends. What better way to convert a gun hater than a former gun hater who is able to find a reason to become a gun owner? We are not going to change the media or political narrative, so we have to work at a different level to counter that narrative.

4 Likes

educate, lobby, vote…about all anyone can do.

3 Likes

We already tried all that, now I’m thinking, shoot, move, communicate???. These are citizens gone wild, it’s not the guns fault. It’s mainstream media and certain elected officials, they are empowering the evil. It’s good for their ratings. There’s only one way left to go and that’s federally. We can’t keep this up til the election. Too many people will have to suffer. If cities want to implode, let them. We can’t afford to lose anymore law enforcement officers or young innocent lives! But this is what you get when you support defunding.
What I have a real problem with, is how is this explained to children? How do you bring them up in an anarchist world?

2 Likes

Gun Violence, while less accurate, gets better attention than Gang Violence.

1 Like

I’m tracking. I certainly hope it doesn’t come down to that. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best, anything else is a pleasant surprise.

Absolutely, I’ll sit back and watch them burn. Unfortunately, their actions…and politician’s lack thereof has a direct impact on those of us trying to mind our own business and make a life. Fortunately, I live far enough away.

I wouldn’t even know where to begin on that. My kids are old enough I can speak to them a bit more candidly. Young children…that would be tough. I do know I would make every attempt to shield them from it the best I could. But at the same time, I certainly wouldn’t explain it away, either…simply would not be reality. As far as bringing them up in an anarchist world…best thing we can do is teach them right from wrong, spend good quality time with them, and for the love of puppies…keep them off social media.

2 Likes

Opioid Addiction and deaths are what needs to be looked at. Too many deaths are related to Opioids. • Drug overdose is the leading cause of accidental death in the US, with 52,404 lethal drug
overdoses in 2015. Opioid addiction is driving this epidemic, with 20,101 overdose deaths
related to prescription pain relievers, and 12,990 overdose deaths related to heroin in
ASAM - 2016

2 Likes

@DavidM58, don’t despair!

Think about your world as two circles, a smaller one within a larger one. The smaller one is your Circle of Influence. That’s your spouse, children, best friends, mom, dad. These are the people you can influence. Never miss an opportunity to share the truth with people in this circle. Truth that it is violence, not gun violence. Truth that guns aren’t the problem, that the 2A is a bedrock principle. Focus on your Circle of Influence. Teach them to shoot. Share your world view in a winsome way.

The outer circle is your Circle of Concern. These are coworkers, people you meet at the store, etc. People you know but don’t interact with in an intimate way or regularly. Don’t spend as much time sharing truth with this group, it isn’t time well-spent.

Avoid social media arguments at all costs. They are a rocket sled to h_ll.

4 Likes

@Todd30 100% agree with you. I personally know of no one that was killed by a firearm. I do know of a person that died because of opioid addiction… my eldest son in 2015.
Here is a face to put on that fact… my late son Austin. He is but one of thousands…

4 Likes

Ruined my marriage of 27 years.She passed away last Dec.

4 Likes