Maryland restriction on rounds

Hello. I’ve been reading the information for concealed carry in my home state of Maryland (a.k.a., the Independent Republic of Maryland) and see that there is a limitation on number of rounds in a magazine (10). How then can, as I plan to do, purchase a Glock 19, which is 15+1? Would the weapon came in with only a 10 round magazine and I would have to purchase a larger magazine from a dealer in another state? Thanks in advance to all who respond.

5 Likes

If you buy it Maryland, it will likely come with a 10round magazine. Glock sells G19 and G17 mags that have a factory plug on them that limits to 10rounds so its 10rnd capacity but the same size as a standard mag.

If you import the magazines from another state (which is what you are doing if you buy in another state and bring it into MD), that is very likely against the law. I do not recommend it. I am not familiar enough with MD laws, I assume possession, importation, buying, and selling, are all illegal.

If you are limited to 10rounds, you may consider getting a larger caliber like .45 instead of 9mm to make better use of the 10rounds you have. Or look at the Glock 48 which is a slimmer (single stack) variation of the Glock 19.

8 Likes

Similar situation here in CO. When I purchased the firearm, they gave it to me with no magazine, and told me I would have to purchase a legal, new one. They did discount the price of the weapon, for what a new magazine would cost, so that was nice.

4 Likes

Shared with CloudApp

You can find this information ^^^ on our Reciprocity Map here:

5 Likes

I am at guns shows in Virginia often, well pre-mask era, as part of rights groups I belong to. Frequently, we see people from Maryland buying mags and other equipment. I asked about their mag limit law, it only restricts purchases in Maryland. They are allowed to possess mags in excess of 10-rounds, they just cannot legally purchase nor ship them into Maryland, but they can buy them in other states and bring them in. It’s just one of those “common-sense” gun control laws that we hear about. If that law makes any sense, you must be an anti-gunner.

Ironically, I had read that after the ban, MD police began finding more “high” cap mags at crime scenes. Apparently the criminals did not understand the law. I believe they need to write more “gun control” laws, eventually one of them will work, right?

My apologies to Jeff Foxworthy for the following:
If you believe your blue state governor, after early release of violent felons cares about your safety… you might be an anti-gunner.
If you believe the police you want to defund will protect you… you might be an anti-gunner.
If you believe the NYS “SAFE” Act made you safer… you might be an anti-gunner.
If you believe requiring law-abiding citizens to register their firearms will prevent crime… you might be an anti-gunner.
If you believe taxes on ammunition will prevent crime… you might be an anti-gunner.
If you believe a firearm “buy back” will take guns off the street and make you safer… you might be an anti-gunner.
If you believe guns shoot themselves… you might be an anti-gunner.
If you believe black guns are scary and should be banned… you might be an anti-gunner.
If you believe a ghost gun is an evil spectral entity… you might be an anti-gunner.
If you believe a Unicorn gun shoots rainbows… you might be an anti-gunner.

6 Likes

Thank you for the clarification, Harvey. Yes, I believe you are correct as to the laws restricting buying magazines from another state. I’ll just have to buy additional magazines and load them as part of my concealed armament.

3 Likes

Thanks Adam for that information. If I run into that problem, I’ll be sure to have them reduce the price accordingly. No need to pay twice for the same thing!

3 Likes

Oh, and I am looking at the Glock 43x as well; slimmer. I will also look at the 48, per your suggestion.

3 Likes

Thanks, Dawn - that’s EXACTLY where I was looking! I’ve heard the 10 round limit thrown around but also heard some other stuff. Just want to make sure I’ve got things in order. It’s a long process to get the CWP here in MD so I don’t want to run afoul of the law and lose it.

3 Likes

Hi, Dave - Thanks for the information, and the humor! You are spot-on; just look at what is going on now! I’ll keep it in mind should I be in VA for any gun shows. I was at the Nation’s Gun Show recently but none of my paperwork has completed processing, so it was just a look’n’see event for me.

4 Likes