Manual safety, trigger safety, grip safety, or no safety?

Welcome aboard @Greg69

Correct you need to be ready when the fit hits the shan!

1 Like

Welcome to the Community @Greg69 .

I will agree … and disagree :wink:

With proper training we do minimize chances of making mistakes. But we never get to perfection.
That was posted several times, so I don’t want to discuss it again… I just want to remind all of us that mistakes happen all the time.
Train and practice, but also choose wisely and adjust your tools and gear to avoid mistakes.

The great example is AIWB carrying, when we already had at least two confirmed negligent discharges of polymer handgun during reholstering. It happened because there was no manual safety on these firearms. Yes, of course it wouldn’t happen with PROPER reholstering technique, but that is my point - we all can do mistakes.

3 Likes

Yep, this. The range of projectiles and uses for the 10mm is greater. Not putting down the venerable .45. Just making a point.

2 Likes

Image.png

1 Like

Yup. The 10 gets way up into .357 mag territory. If there was a medium capacity pistol in 10 mm, that isn’t a Glock, on the market, I would think about switching carry guns. Right now, I’m thinking of going to a revolver, in .357 mag.

3 Likes

A-yup. If you have practiced properly a safety is no hinderance, but it is a Murphy minimizer. :innocent:

2 Likes

This was a valuable lesson for her.

Farcebook. No thanks.

1 Like

Novice hand gunners are unlikely to be aware of any of the listed options, and will buy whatever a gun coounter clerk shows them. Stores I frequent are more likely to have handguns with manual safeties, even for models that are also manufactured without. A knowledgeable clerk at Academy told me that is because they know many customers are new to handguns, and they think will be safer with a safety.
I think it likely that almost all first handguns will have manual safety, definitely so for 1911 pattern guns, and highly likely for modern striker-fired or DA/SA semi-autos. Even the M&P EZ always has a grip safety and the manual safety is optional, but my brother had to search a lot to find the 9mm EZ without manual safety.
Those of us who have taken the time to seek training and investigate the market often migrate to no-safety models, especially for EDC self defense use for competition at IDPA and USPCA. That option is less necessary for plinkers and range guns.

2 Likes

This :point_up_2:t4: was true for me. Novices don’t know what they don’t know.

1 Like

And people who know what they want will have to argue with the salesperson, if what we want to buy isn’t what they want to sell.

4 Likes

@Ouade5 you’re correct!

2 Likes

My 2-cents:

For a range gun, doesn’t matter. Whatever.

For EDC I have no issues with built in safeties (trigger and/or grip), but no mag safety. In a SHTF situation I want to be able to fire my last shot without a properly working magazine and mag safeties are just another thing to go wrong. Had one on my S&W 4006 – hated that gun (for a host of reasons).

For an EDC firearm (Rule #1): In the hand, ready to run.

3 Likes

The most important safety is always located in the same place: your mind. Is it on?

4 Likes

Explanation, pro’s & con’s of a mag safety:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=what+is+a+magazine+gun+safety%3F&view=detail&mid=E7C1AA9B7AD98D73F5ADE7C1AA9B7AD98D73F5AD&FORM=VIRE

Be carful out there.

I found myself in the same situation you mention.
When I decided to full time carry in 2015, I bought a Glock 26 at the suggestion of a friend. I always felt strange carrying the Glock in battery. The Glock was also difficult to rack (I am 80 and have a touch of arthritis in my hands) I recently traded the Glock in on a S&W 9mm Shield EZ. It is a great pistol for arthritics and it also has all sorts of safetys. I feel comfortable carrying in in battery. I won a gun raffle and won a Ruger LCP 380. It’s a nice little piece good for concealed carry at formal events when one wears suits and such–still not my preferred because of a lack of a safety. I was brought up with revolvers and shot competitively with a S&W .22 Masterpiece (Which I wish I still had) I bought a Ruger LCR 38SP and a Ruger LCR .22. Both weigh the same and have the same trigger pull. I spend lots of time at the range with the .22 and its less expensive ammo. I found a S&W Model 66 357 Mag in Stainless with a 5" barrel and a Ruger SP 101 357 Mag with a 2" barrel at a small gun store and bought both. The Ruger 357 Mag has become my favorite daily carry. The Model 66 is a great gun for target shooting and home defense. I think that I have all the handguns I’ll ever need and am happy that I came back to revolvers. For hunting I have returned to lever guns. There is something to be said for time tested.

5 Likes

I carry DA/SA guns exclusively so a manual safety for me to grip onto is what I’m used too. Anyone own the new Beretta APX A1 curious about that one only striker fired gun I at all am interested in.

2 Likes

Recently leaning toward DA/SA, and models with thumb safety’s. A little more piece of mind.

1 Like

I don’t want my mind to be too peaceful or complacent when handling a firearm:)

I personally prefer no safety on my pistols but can understand the possible advantage of a safety when reholstering as long as people aren’t relying on it as a substitute for good trigger discipline.

I have one DA/SA pistol. It would take me a lot of training to get completely comfortable with the difference in trigger pull between the first and second shot. And even more training to guarantee I remember to lower the hammer automatically after a stressful event before reholstering.

4 Likes

My Berettas have decockers. I believe as long as you have the same routine, you will not “forget”, as it will be “routine”. I always decock after loading, even when practicing at the range. The reason I do that is because I carry decocked (hammer down). When holstering, the same routine, decock, ensure there are no obstructions to holstering, and in it goes.

100%

3 Likes