Manual safety, trigger safety, grip safety, or no safety?

Welcome aboard @Danny54

XDS is my latest acquisition and first semi w/o a thumb safety. It will be my EDC until I find something that does a better job of blowing my skirt up!

Personally have manual safeties on mine. That’s what I’ve pretty much always had. Just my thing. Like George98 there’s no wrong answer. My biggest problem has always been finding I can feel comfortable with a left handed shot.

2 Likes

I have all of them
1st pistol was a CZ P-07 Duty with a decocker
Next was a shield with manual safety
The 1911 is a manual with a grip safety

I prefer the decocker over a safety,
However I regularly practice with the manual safety on my EDC

My least favorite is a grip safety, like the shield 380 EZ

2 Likes

My 1st handgun had a 3 position thumb safety - safe, fire, and decocked. I would load it with a round in the chamber, point in a safe direction, decock, and leave the thumb safety in the fire position. It had a heavy dual action (DA) first shot trigger pull so I never worried about it accidentally going off.

1 Like

I am not a big fan of the mag safety. Makes the gun completely useless during a tactical reload. I know the situations where you might feel comfortable enough to perform a tactical reload but still might need to fire before you are finished are limited but I prefer to keep my options open.

No safety or trigger safety are my preference. Though I am open to a manual safety on a SA pistol. Just haven’t found the right one to empty my wallet for yet;)

2 Likes

I ran across a Colt 10mm Delta Elite today in great shape and not too bad of a price. My problem in closing the deal is I’ve never shot a 10mm and the only rental I have found near me is a not so comparable G20. The Colt is a couple of states away so not available to try out :-1:

I do have a gun comparable to the weight of the G20 in a 40 short and weak. I will admit I don’t like shooting a whole range session with it, so figure a similar weight Glock in 10mm would be brutal.

2 Likes

I would buy that gun in a heartbeat!!! There is 10mm ammo available commercially with just about every level of power/recoil you might want. Mine is loaded right now with 135gr +P and the recoil is lighter than my .45s.

2 Likes

Maybe this will help you decide?

5 Likes

Thanks @Enzo_T and @Harvey, I appreciate the feedback about recoil.

In the meantime I am waiting for feedback from the seller regarding shipping and handling and any other fees they might think of. At $1,200 the price isn’t so great that if they get greedy with extra fees they could force me into continuing that search for a reasonably priced Springfield TRP, yeah, like that’s ever gonna happen :rofl:

I should know something in a couple of days …

2 Likes

My EVO SP has a trigger safety, my LCR has no obvious safety other than a loooong trigger pull. I alternate them for EDC. My .380 is the only compact I have that has both a hammer and a safety “Switch”.

Sounds like a great excuse to join the manual safety club! If you aren’t already a member.

I’m a very happy 9mm kinda guy though I just picked up .45 at a price I couldn’t refuse and maybe could convince myself of the “need” for a 10mm someday. I think it is a more convincing step up than the .40 and .45.

1 Like

Keep your hand off the handle until ready to bang the nail. :rofl:

Here’s a few: Hammer block, half-cock, and/or a rebound system; on SAs, a “safety notch”, or the Webley-Fosbery that had a manual safety, it was also a self-cocking revolver.

1 Like

The two internationally recognized safety apparatus on the planet!

7 Likes

OR
10 mm = 0.39370079
.45 = .452

3 Likes

My first pistol had a manual safety on it. I have two with manual safeties and one with a trigger safety. I feel safe carrying any of them. All my holsters protect the trigger from being pulled by accident.

2 Likes

I like a Shield with thumb safety, so I can carry chambered with confidence!

3 Likes

The wife’s Shield EZ9 is the same. To be honest, although I don’t carry it, I do enjoy shooting it and I would have no qualms with carrying it. My only concern is the round limitation with the 8 round magazine capacity.

Stay safe out there.

1 Like

i carry a p938, which has a thumb safety. locked and loaded

…although my eye is on a striker fire PERFORMANCE CENTER® M&P®9 M2.0™ 4.25" PORTED BARREL AND SLIDE :eyes: :drooling_face:

1 Like

If you have trained properly a safety isn’t needed. All that you do in a high stress situation should be shelved in your subconscious ready to apply when the poop hits the fan. Proper training is essential!

3 Likes

Welcome to the community @Greg69

1 Like