MantisX Daily Challenge for Community Members

Well done. Congratulations @Frank73!

2 Likes

Thank you! @Alces_Americanus

1 Like

Good work, @Frank73! :clap: :clap: Let us know how that t-shirt offer works for you. I never got a coupon — maybe I wasn’t gushy enough. :worried:

I got some MantisX tips from @Alces_Americanus to get me shooting like a regular Tier 0 operator :skull::

Really ups my game, man! :crazy_face:

Used to be, I could only shoot the regular way:

That’s five free points just for “adjusting” my grip.

3 Likes

Very happy with tonight’s dry fire. Left is P226, right is P365.

@techs: No bench vises were harmed during the making of these sessions.

2 Likes

Geez, Bullwinkle — don’t point that thing at me. rocky
I’m awe. :astonished:

1 Like

Really looking forward to today’s Daily Challenge!

I’ll be working with the P365 again today. Post up your best score.

Stay safe out there.

1 Like

Well, that wasn’t easy at all. I admit that it took me probably 10 tries to get this score. This is one that I would like to try on the range in live fire.

Stay safe out there.

2 Likes

Geez, @Frank73! You’re gonna make me work hard for this, aren’t you?

Sweating bullets… Well, snap caps maybe. :rofl:

1 Like

Well done!

1 Like

I think I got lucky on the shot.

It took me many shots to accomplish a higher score with low time. So, luck was with me as well. Scored some in the 80’s with higher times.

But to be honest, I learned more about my new P365 and how, if need be I could cut the time down for reassembly by paying attention to several things. For starters, slowing down the reassembly actually yielded a faster time overall.

Some of the daily drills are a little far fetched at times. This is one that I really enjoyed.

Stay safe and keep practicing!

1 Like

Looked interesting, but I didn’t get home until late today…

Obvious that this is not an exercise I practice for time — esp. not tired and in crummy light. Not sure the exact “course of fire” — I started with loaded gun, safety off. Unloading didn’t take but a second or two; rearranging my hands to pull the slide a bit longer. I didn’t think to capture the screens at the end of drill, so these are from History.

M&P9c — I’m going to claim that pulling the tool and fiddling with the disconnect ate at least 10 seconds.

Kimber Micro380 — time-eaters here were getting the disconnect pushed down on reassembly and getting the guide rod rotated correctly in poor light. I’ll claim ten seconds there, too. :wink:

The Kimber trigger was easier once my hands got all trembly. No idea what kind of challenges your guns presented. I think getting my times down on this one is not a high priority in my defensive practice. :+1:

2 Likes

If you’re serious @Frank73, I would throw in a comment that administrative handling is a common theme in unintended discharge accidents. Personally, I don’t see a value in live fire speed stripping.

Breaking a gun apart and proper reassembly is a valuable skill, and doing it smoothly is a path to doing it correctly. If a person felt doing it fast was a path to doing it smooth, the value of the MantisX exercise is allowing you to run a stopwatch on yourself with a clear stop and end point for progress assessment.

I’m not sure whether there is a regular MantisX exercise you could use for that — I think most of the timer-based sessions have a fixed max too short for this purpose.

1 Like

I personally think that having one round in a magazine, removing it setting it aside and and then field stripping, reassembling and inserting the magazine and firing one round is safe.

To be honest, tactical and emergency reloads would also fall under the category of administrative handling. But, to each their own. On a controlled range, with one round I don’t see the harm.

Stay safe!

Your choice. I just think it introduces hazard into a time-pressure manipulation which has no apparent application to a real world need for speed under threat of lethal force.

The way I did this last night required at least two rounds — one to be ejected prior to disassembly and one which remained in the magazine for the shot following reassembly. I suppose the first one could be dummy, but it’s the management of the shot to be fired which seems to present the hazard. Even for practicing malfunctions and flinch assessment, mixing live and dummy rounds gives me the willies.

Really? I think that loading and unloading are administrative handling, but reloading is a component of firearm operation — if you carry a reload. The one you can do at any time and any speed which promotes safety (like holstering or field-stripping); the other you must perform within the time constraint of a shooting activity (like unholstering, recoil recovery, or trigger press).

Kind of getting away from MantisX and into general shooting practices. But we’re shooting in separate lanes, so good luck!

I’m not here to argue with you. You do you and I’ll do me.

Some of the daily challenges I find to be ridiculous honestly. Like shooting a firearm with winter gloves on or, doing 10 burpies and then picking up your gun and firing it.

Al I stated earlier on is that the challenge in question (field strip) was something that I would like to try on the range. Now we’ve gotten into semantics. It’s tiresome and not constructive.

Stay safe.

2 Likes

Yeah, different strokes.

I skip challenges which seem silly or problematic. I do winter gloves, because we do winter in Oregon. I’m a couple decades north of when burpees seemed like a smart idea, but I think the idea of trying to do a good hold while tired or out of breath is a good one — so I’ll try jumping jacks or hold my breath. There are others I can’t be bothered with.

A shortcoming of the MantisX daily challenges is that they go away and you can’t really practice them. A strength of the daily challenges is that they go away and you can’t really practice them. :wink:

2 Likes

Heading to the range this morning with a friend. I’ll try today’s Daily Challenge on the range in Live Fire Mode. I will be conducting this challenge at a distance of 5 yards from the target.

Keeping in mind that 86.2% of self defense uses of a firearm have occurred between 9 and 15 feet. So I will see if I can get some good defensive accuracy hits at some decent times.

Stay safe out there.

1 Like

Well, the numbers are disappointing to me personally. I saw a good deal of “finger tipping” on the trigger (pushing up and left or just left). I ran this exercise multiple times and the best result is shown here. Very humbling with regard to MantisX.

Now, as far as “defensive accuracy” for concealed carry and self-preservation, I am personally satisfied with the results. Pictured below is the target that I was using for this exercise and all rounds fired. I’m confident that my hits would have been sufficient.

I also ran the MantisX3 on a friend’s firearm while he fired rounds during open training. His grip was solid and his trigger press/reset was very good. However, as I mentioned a few times that his rounds were striking low on his target because he was “pushing” and breaking his wrists during his firing sequences causing all of his rounds to hit lower than his POA.

As expected MantisX picked all of that up clearly and he was able to watch his sequence and understand his shooting errors. Overall, I like this system for dry firing practice. It keeps things interesting each say and helps reduce the cost of “trigger time” by saving on range trips and ammunition costs.

I’ll probably use it again during live fire for clients as well as for myself with the Compressed Surprised Break exercise.

Stay safe and keep practicing.

2 Likes

Stopping the BG is what counts, and the proof is on the paper. I don’t think he’ll be getting up and saying “Haha, you only got 81.8!”

FWIW, I think MantisX has its limitations. I may have posted this elsewhere, two screenshots from the app after 8 rounds of rapid fire. Look at the variance and scores on the app vs. the actual hits; the plate is 7”. It appears the MantisX can’t keep up.

This is just a P226 air shooting .177 pellets:

2 Likes