Man shoots intruder and goes back to bed

Imagine someone tries to attack you with your own pickax from your backyard shed, you shoot in defense and he runs away. The homeowner went back to bed.

This happened recently in Texas - my dad shared the article with me without any commentary, just a link.

Is it ever OK to go back to bed without calling the police about shots fired? What are your thoughts about this situation?

1 Like

This should be surprising but I mean come on, it says Texas, and of all places Dallas at that. Sometimes sleep is just a bit more important to some.

1 Like

I don’t think so.
Hopefully one of ours active / former LEOs or Attorneys will give some legal explanations.
I cannot imagine how he could sleep after shooting :dizzy_face:

Texas :grimacing: Like old good western movie.

But seriously, everybody knows that “call 911 and your attorney” is the first thing you have to do after using lethal force.
In this case, perhaps he thought he just scared intruder.
He unnecessarily did take another two shots, once the burglar dropped the pickax and run away. (Doesn’t look like justifiable use of deadly force )

3 Likes

No…….

Heck, based on all the USCCA training and past stories, even if I don’t fire a single shot, if I draw my weapon in public, I’m getting on the ph with 911. (and then calling Dawn/USCCA :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

@Dawn
can you give us your cell phone #, please :wink::sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Ha, there’s about as much chance of Dawn doing that as her voting for Beto……aka Francis. :grin:

2 Likes

Wow. Much fail here (in my opinion).

Don’t get me wrong, I am all about defending my property, but… So, I get woke up, and see a guy breaking into my shed. Simple, get gun, call 911, stay in the dang house. Why leave the relative safety of my house to protect my shed… Now, if the suspect tries to use the pick ax to enter my house, different situation.

And then drew, fired shots, and did NOT call the police? WTF… Then call 911 hours later and say something is in progress? Heck, I have seen CSI, time of death ain’t gonna match this.

Sorry, nothing right here to me, I suspect there is more to the story. Or just total stupidity, making responsible gun owners look crazy.

4 Likes

4 Likes

I question the reason why he was even shooting an intruder in the back-yard…

The prosecution is going to have a field day with that poor old man! The only reliable defense that he may hold is suffering from mental-illness with a combination of medication he takes.(That’s not justification though, but maybe could put the man in a hospital for the remainder of his years)

1 Like

Don’t call me! I’m definitely not the one who has the answers in those situations. I would give you our number 877-677-1919 and say follow the prompts to get to our Critical Response team! They’re who you want to talk to at that point, not me! :stuck_out_tongue:

I share that opinion, @Fred_G. Shooting after the guy was leaving… supremely bad decision. :frowning:

3 Likes

There is NO WAY I would be able to go back to bed after an incident like that-I’d be too wired! With that said, there is no way I would confront a man in my back yard. If he wants the stuff in my shed, he’s welcome to it! Naturally, I would call 911 and USCCA immediately. If he tries to gain entry to my house, then it’s time to draw and challenge.

2 Likes