Mag extenders?

I’ve seen some different mag extenders. I believe one of them was Hyve. Any opinions on them? I’m a little concerned with tampering with my name brand mags because I trust them as they are.

3 Likes

I’ve got a few. Some come with a new spring. No problems yet. I’m not dropping them on a regular basis though. I’ve got a thing tomorrow that I’ll be using and dropping mags with +2 bottoms. We’ll see how that goes.

6 Likes

Maybe for the spare mag, but not the in-gun.

3 Likes

I would really like to hear how that goes!

2 Likes

I bought Taran Tactical mag extensions a while back and popped them on my G43 magazines. The bases are better made than the original base plates, and the replacement spring has held up as well. I do not see an issue arising from using a reputable company like HYVE. Maybe try one out and drop it, and abuse it a little to see if you want to replace all your mag bases.

6 Likes

I have used Pachmayr grip extenders and mag extenders on my Glock 26 and 42. The grip extenders just give you a pinky grip and the mag extenders are +1 or +2.
I currently have grip extenders for my factory mags but switched to Magpul Promags for 12 round magazines. The Magpuls are easier to disassemble and reassemble and seem more durable. I have worn out some factory mags (at the magazine lock) but not any promags yet.

2 Likes

I’ve used Taran Tactical extensions on my Glock43. +1 for in the gun use (it is literally just a few mm longer than stock) and +3 for the spare. I haven’t torture tested them (and have no plans to), but they have run 100% flawless in my use. I trust them.

I picked up a Hyve extended a while ago, but havent gotten around to installing it. They have a pretty good reputation though.

3 Likes

Have you tried MagGuts? They make Shield options. I’m still testing mine on 2 different Kahrs. No issues so far with the 6-7 rounders, but I had to send back the 7-8 for newer ones because of a spring position issue. Haven’t had a chance to test the new 7-8 rounders I received.

In all honesty, I don’t really know if it’s worth it or not to deviate from stock, but I could think of worse things to spend my money on.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if it’s worth it either. Most extenders are for the 7rd mag, which would only give me 1 more round really, along with a greater risk for malfunction.

1 Like

My TP9SFX came with 18rd mags with +2 plates for 20rd mags…

2 Likes

I’ve used some in the past without issue. Modify one mag and try. If you’re happy with it after a couple hundred rounds, modify any others you want to (same model). Always try about a mod to verify consistent reliability if using for serious purposes ( for range toys who cares😊)

2 Likes

@Scoutbob The bad… These mags will not drop out when empty. I assume it’s because of the base plate. I bought these used off Arms list, but they appear to come this way from Midway. Not sure what brand the bottom is. Also, they claim to be +2, but they only +1. I’m guessing the +2 is for the 9mm mags these will also fit on.
The Good… Since they don’t drop on their own, I had to “strip” them out. I get a little excited during these classes, so I was pretty much throwing the mags on the ground (concrete). The mags didn’t care one bit, they fine.
Not my best picture…

1 Like

Huh I guess that would be a way of practicing having to strip a mag out that’s being stubborn. I’ve seen good things about these

I was toying around with extending my shield mag so I could use it in the place of my current HD gun (m&p 2.0 40). I think I’m going to leave it the way it is. Can’t complain with having 15 rounds of 40. I just shoot my shield better.

2 Likes

I have Taran tactical +2 for my G43 as well as +1 for a little more concealability. I do also have a mag guts spring for the stock g43 mag too. All work flawlessly. I also have huge technologies +2 and +3 for my other glocks and my p320. They all work flawlessly.

1 Like