Looking for a Small(ish) Gun to replace P11

I thought I would banter this question about the group here and see what shakes out. Perhaps someone else out there will read this and get some information.

Short story: Thinking of a new carry gun to replace my Kel-Tec P11 (had about 20 years), and would like some ideas. Partly since I really detest shooting the darn thing, and… new gun!! Maybe, if I choose right, it could become an EDC and not be just a few times a year gun… maybe.

Longer story: For my carry lifestyle over the last 30 years I have carried quite a few different platforms. Full size and Officers 1911’s, CZ’s, Beretta, Glock, and XD9 Service (mod.2 version as well). All of those platforms I have competed with also, usually about 10k rounds per year. I carry the P11 maybe 5 days in a year; deep concealment when needed. If I do shoot the P11, I tend to short stroke the trigger; not a surprise there considering what I normally shoot.

Currently carry either a G19, or the Beretta PX4 (full size). I am competing with a G34 the last couple of years, so the 19 makes sense. The PX4 I picked up last fall just to see, and I shoot it great. I can shoot DA/SA guns as good or better than I can striker ones.

In general, I don’t like small guns. I have larger hands, and broke my fingers a lot, so small narrow frames are harder for me to maintain a grip on. My fiancé has a P365; great gun, just a tad too small for me to hold on to. About the same size as my P11, just a bit thinner. Far better trigger!! So far, not a fan of short frame guns either. Perhaps I have not met the right one? Really, if you are going to put a pinkie extension on your short frame gun, then just get a bigger frame… Every extension I have ever encountered has pinched me while firing.

I have been thinking about a PX4 Compact from LTT, maybe a Sub-Compact (have to hold one). Nano? Perhaps a small Sig I have not thought of? A SCCY CPX-2? Revolver (my only one is black powder, so no experience)? Glock 48? I really would prefer at least 10 rounds, and 9mm (I have gobs of practice ammo). Wilson Combat EDC X9? No experience with the small Glocks, just 17,19,34, and 41. I have not fired any Sig’s, outside of the P365. Not too big, or too small!!

1 Like

If you can find one, a ruger sr9c might be just what you’re looking for. Decently compact but will accept full size sr9 mags giving you 17 round mag capacity.

1 Like

Sig 365XL. Run a 12 round mag thru the 365 and that’s the standard size of a 365XL

2 Likes

I will see if I can find one. The length may help, however narrow is a large issue. Perhaps if more of my hand is “on the gun” the narrow would not be as much of an issue? My fingers are mangled! :smiley:

1 Like

If its only the thickness. Hogue grips seem to add just enough for me. My wife 938 and it’s tiny but I added a hogue grip and it gives me enough to feel a good grip on it

1 Like

How about a Glock 26? You seem to have an affinity for Glocks. Add a Magpul 12 rd mag and you don’t need a pinky holder.

1 Like

I will take a look at a 26 next chance I get. As for the affinity for Glocks, that gave me a great chuckle! Actually, I do not, per se. I do recognize their potential, and popularity. I got the G34 to compete with since the girlfriend wanted to compete, and liked the G17 (purchased both) (she has since moved to an XDm). The G19 was a promotional win (thanks USCCA!). Overall, just hardware. My preference is really for DA/SA type guns, or 1911’s. :smiley:

2 Likes

For “sub-compact” DA/SA (my preference as well), I really like the CZ or IWI, but they are a bit bigger than the P11. For that size DA/SA, have you looked at Springfield XD-E? Has 8 and 9 round single stack mags, and the latter adds a bit of length for grip.

1 Like

My wife has small hands. The first gun I got her was a Rossi 5 shot .38 snubby. Too big and too heavy. She picked out a Kahr Arms CM 9, 6+1. Might be too small for you. I switch between a XD9 belt carry and S&W 5906, which I wear in a shoulder harness. Damn thing is all metal and HEAVY! I’m thinking of selling the Rossi and the 5906 and get an MP9 Shield or P290RS.

1 Like

I own 2 Kahr PM9’s. IWB or pocket carry. 9mm. 6+1 with 8 round mag backup. Just disappears on me. I’ve dinged 10" steel at 80 yards with it. At self defense ranges it’s a beautiful thing. Carry Winchester Ranger T 147 grain in it (politically correct version of old Black Talon.) That ammo is issue for LAPD and LASD. Check it out. Pistol is DAO only with trigger like a very smooth revolver. I have large hands and adding Talon Grips (rubber version) made a real difference.

1 Like

Myself like you have extra large hands and the smaller micro guns don’t work for me. I recently picked up a Glock 43x and it has become my new best EDC. The perfect balance and a remarkable shooter.

1 Like

We got my granddaughter the G43, it’s an awesome little gun! @MarkinMT we shoot it with a couple different extended mags and have had no problem with pinching.

1 Like

Thanks all for the ideas. Guess I will get over to our new indoor range and see what they have on rental.

I am thinking a Desert Eagle in .50AE would work? Any excuse right? LOL

1 Like

I am certain the Desert Eagle .50AE will work for whatever you need it for.
Killing flies? it’ll work.
Driving the same dead flies through a concrete wall? It’ll work.
Waking the neighbors… two neighborhoods over? It’ll work.
:laughing:
I miss our Desert Eagle .50AE :cry: I don’t miss what it cost per bang, but the bang was pretty sweet.
Just ask every person down the shooting line, even at the outdoor range. You can ask them all at once because they will ALL be sticking their heads out to see What The Heck Was That?
:sparkling_heart:

ETA: and just in case you think it’s not suitable for concealed carry, :laughing:

:joy::rofl::rofl:
I just love that gal. :laughing:

1 Like

@zee That is a riot!! Never shot one, just though it might be cool to have one some day. :smiley:

1 Like

they are really really fun to shoot :heart_eyes:
ok, not everyone agrees but it is actually one of the ones I love shooting.

BTW, just in case you’re considering it, the Dene Adams Carry Corsets kick butt. :wink: They absolutely vanish my full sized Glock G21 .45. If you did want to carry the 50AE, that’d probably be the way to do it.

I would take a hard look at a Glock 43x. That’s probably going to be my next carry gun.

1 Like

I have one. I love it. Easy to shoot and clean. Ambidextrous design. Sights are fully adjustable and replaceable. I pocket carry comfortable with an Alabama Holster pocket holster. It also has a small picatinny rail (1 inch).

Here’s the sights I have:

Here’s a flashlight/laser sight that will fit on the rail:

Here’s a few pics of mine and some accessories I got for it.

2 Likes