Long Rifle Shooting - Getting Started

Looking to get started in long gun shooting. Need some info on getting started please. Mike_T :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Obvious first questions:

1-What do you want to do with it (or want it to do for you?) This could be anything from zombie defense to teaching a young child, to cheap ammo (22.lr), to hunting. I don’t have a place to shoot outdoors , won’t likely hunt, and hate expensive ammo, so for me it is 10/22 type stuff.

2-How much are you willing to spend? Back to #1, cheap 10/22 and cheap 22lr.

If you aren’t tied to rifle consider a carbine. I did and never looked back.

3 Likes

Long range, or rifles in general? Some guys are really starting to reach out with .22’s. I myself can hit an 8 Oz bottle all day with a 150 dollar Marlin, with a cheapy Simmons 3x9 scope. Now that I’m coaching 4H rifles, I’m getting more into rimfire rifle shooting.

2 Likes

I should have been more specific. Two part answer, 1- Long range like hundreds of yards out to 700 yards so I can teach long range shooting. 2 - Thunder ranch has a long range shooting class, this is where the certification would come from. I should have added I have shot 30-30 Winchester out to 200 yds. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Sounds like fun! I would assume that at 700 yards you’ll have to learn about things like the Coriolos effect, earth curvature, wind speed, humidity, density, bullet shape, related trajectories, etc. Let us know what you find out!

2 Likes

Be VERY VERY careful when you get around that long range bug. It will suck the life right out of your bank account. 20 years ago if you would have told me that putting a $2500 scope on a $900 rifle would be where I’m at, I would have called you Bat $h!t Crazy. Yet here I am. I can get any fool who can follow instructions on steel at 1000 yards most any day of the week in less than an hour. To get that fool to be able to pick up a rifle and hit the same on a CBS (Cold Bore Shot) is a horse of another breed. If 700 yards is your limit (for now) I would start off with a good 308. The barrel will last you long enough to learn the game and the ammo is relatively inexpensive to buy and or make. On the topic of ammo, unless you are independently wealthy and can afford FGMM (Federal Gold Medal Match) or Black Hills Match you WILL reload and that is a whole 'nother rabbit hole.

Once you start walking yard lines and get competent you will get into UKD (Un Kown Distance) and then you start learning math all over again. Then you will get into ELRS which is Extreme Long Range Shooting where you buy and build guns that let you play at a mile or more. Oh, more math.

There is a saying in my circles “Snipers (Precision LR Shooter) are not the most dangerous people on the battlefield because they have the biggest guns. It’s because they learned how to weaponize MATH.”

Don’t say I didn’t warn you. That said I am here to help with your soon to be new addiction :smiling_imp:

Cheers,

Craig6

6 Likes

@Mike_T

Pretty good quote from @Craig6. For a good solid beginning, I would recommend

“Long Range Shooting Handbook
A beginners guide to precision
Rifle shooting”
By Ryan Cleckner

It’s a very easy read, as far as he doesn’t bury you under @Dawn dreaded TLA. (3 letter acronyms)

5 Likes

Well @Craig6 I am looking to put a $1500 to $2000 scope on a $6000 rifle. Barrett 338 lapua with a 308 backup barrel. Maybe even a 6.5 creedmore. I already have a reloading outfit. Thunder ranch wants me to use a horus reticle scope which gives much more precision without always cranking the knobs. Mike

1 Like

@Mike_T well if you have a Barret with swappable barrels you are good on the gun side. I forgot the guys at Thunder are into the H reticles. I never really liked them. I prefer IPHY but I speak MOA and Mil-Dot also. What scope platform are you putting the H reticle in? There aren’t that many options but it’s been a while since I had to look. In general I prefer to dial elevation and hold wind but am not adverse to either or both depending on the circumstances. Dunno that I would like to learn on a 338LM but hey everybody has to start someplace :smiley:

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

Agreed. Great book to get going. Also like a .308 to start. 6.5 CM obviously another option, but a bit more expensive.

2 Likes

Leopold scope is a little bit less than others I looked at. I need to get a grip on the ins and outs of being able to read the scope !! :crazy_face:

1 Like

@Craig6 - I fully understand what you are saying about the cost, it is mind blowing how fast you can burn :fire: through money. I think faster then I did with my wife. :grimacing:

2 Likes

I did not know that Loopy was doing H reticles :thinking: That said unless they have REALLY stepped up their machining of turrets you may want to look elsewhere. I did a sniper course for LEO down in York County, NC where we verified the “click values” of all the scopes and Loopy was consistently off on EVERY optic in the class. NF was good, Hendshult (sp) and USO were spot on. I can A$$uME that you know you need a FFP scope to make the Horus work right.

LOL, the two best and most expensive mistakes I ever made were marrying my wife of 30 years and getting into long range precision.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

That would be a yes. Thank you for all your insight.

1 Like

To all that have commented - thanks for your insight and please keep the insights coming.

1 Like

I put about a $600 optic on my AR-10. It’s good to 1000 yards plus.

@Craig6 is telling you the truth it can get real expensive fast. But for fun a good AR-10 with a decent to good optic is plenty.

3 Likes

Thank you all for the feed back. Yes I realized some time back it would get expensive. My wife and I had long conversations before she passed and I promised I would move forward. I am not rich but shooting is a passion and I like shooting at things far away.

1 Like

@Scotty - I will do that. Have to wait for the virus to clear up, however I will keep everybody in the loop.

1 Like

When you get to trying to figure out how to do optics shoot me a PM with your e-mail. I have some power points you may find enlightening from when I was a scope rep. It may ease your learning curve.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

@Craig6 - thanks I will do that. Thank you for all you do. Great job with info.

1 Like