List your favorite historical quote here!

If we don’t learn from history, we’re bound to repeat it. Words I find myself regularly thinking of. So with that in mind, I wanted to share two famous quotes that are permanently housed in my head.

“Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary,” Karl Marx said in his Address of the Central Committee to the Communist League.

"You won’t get gun control by disarming law-abiding citizens,” Reagan in a 1983 speech.

How many people knew Karl Marx was pro-gun?

3 Likes

I heard the speech from Reagan live. But the statement from Marx is a surprise.

1 Like

Marx was a militant revolutionary, naturally, he wanted his side well armed. So did Mao(“Power is born from the barrel of a gun”), Hitler and the rest of them.
The opposition they wanted disarmed and hauled off to labor camps. Did you think Marx would allow reactionaries he wanted to rob of their businesses, houses, personal property to own guns? So, he was only 50% pro-gun LOL.

I wouldnt quote Marx and Reagan so close to each other. Reagan wanted to protect the law-abiding citizens, Marx wanted to attack and destroy the very fabric of society.

3 Likes

9 Likes

This forum is public so it’s nice to post quotes by those we might admire, and those our counterparts on the other side of the aisle might admire.

I’d say Karl was more than 50% pro-gun. Something I read recently implied he felt owning a gun was closer to an inalienable right rather than anything else. Sparked me to order a book about him so I could see if there was any truth to that.

1 Like

Marx’s idea was not the same as Reagan’s idea. Perhaps “pro-gun” speeches looked familiar, but the meaning was different.

The time when Marx wrote his words was the time he wanted proletariat (working class) to be armed and have necessary tools in his revolution against the bourgeoisie, he hated.
Marx knew that firearms were a way to get power, but his followers realized this worked the other way as well - firearms were a thread to their own power.

Reagan told the words that all of us had been telling all the time. This was not about fighting against other class, other people. It was about keeping the rights of defending ourselves.

[…] you won’t get gun control by disarming law-abiding citizens. There’s only one way to get real gun control: Disarm the thugs and the criminals, lock them up, and if you don’t actually throw away the key, at least lose it for a long time […]

11 Likes

“It’s good to be the king!

—King Louis de Brooks. :laughing:

4 Likes

Don’t harass me, can’t you tell
I’m going home, I’m tired as hell
I’m not the cat I used to be
I got a kid, I’m thirty-three, baby

Chrissie Hynde, the Pretenders

2 Likes
2 Likes

“Chicanery” - Joe Biden

:us: :us: :us: :us: :us: :us:

2 Likes

William Shakespeare quote “To be or not to be, That is the question.”

3 Likes

Sic Semper Tyrannis (Thus Always to Tyrants)=George Mason

4 Likes

“What Indians?”
Gen. George Custer

6 Likes

The Voter's Self Defense System. JFK said a few things

1 Like

“History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.”

Maya Angelou

4 Likes

Walk softly and carry a big stick T Roosevelt :us:

2 Likes

Ask not what your country can do for you ask what you can do for your country. JFK

2 Likes

Give me liberty or give me death.
Patrick Henry

3 Likes

Eleanor Roosevelt once said "You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do."

1 Like