Lightest hard shell riffle case?

Looking for a lighter hard shell case setup. Not the basic thin lined cases at a gun store. But a durable lightweight hard shell, instead of dragging the usual heavy luggage cases to the range. Figured to ask the community. Thanks.

3 Likes

Hello and welcome @Ronil
Soft sided or hard shell case?

4 Likes

Hard-shell.

2 Likes

Welcome to the family @Ronil and you are in the right place at the right time.

3 Likes

Is it for a traditional style rifle or a more modern style? If it’s for a traditional style rifle, I have a case that attaches to a fourwheeler that seems pretty durable and relatively light. My more modern style firearms are hauled around in soft side cases with solid reinforcement around where the optic sits.

3 Likes

Modern ar15. I was thinking of maybe a Pelican. But what are you using? The 4 wheels sounds interesting.

3 Likes

My atv has a mount, and the case attaches to it. When it’s not a season I like, I take it off the atv and use it to haul around some rifles or shotguns. This is one similar to the hard case I have. It won’t work for an AR though.

3 Likes

Welcome to the Community @Ronil

3 Likes

If you are referring to weight, then it is probably Plano. The trade-off is strength. For a really heavy case, you can possibly drive over it without hurting anything inside. For an extremely lightweight case, if you drop it the contents are more susceptible to damage.

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice.

1 Like

Standard Plano cases are about the lightest out there and considering the relatively thin shell I’ve never managed to break one under normal use. I still won’t trust the to baggage handlers for that I use my Pelicans but there are other brands that are pretty good too. Actually Plano has a higher level nice travel hard case that is not quite Pelican but pretty darn close.

4 Likes

My soft case is a Rangemaxx from Cabela’s. I got my wife to pull the stitching on the inside, inserted rigid plastic reinforcement/liner around where the optics sit, and she sewed it back up. It was cheap and keeps my optics safe when I need it.

2 Likes

Im planning to getting the new magpul foam organizer thing to put on either a plano as people here commended or a pelican. But i will also look into your suggestion.

3 Likes

You talking about the DAKA organizer?

2 Likes