Let's talk about road rage - open discussion

When you find yourself in a Road Rage situation while driving, IS ROAD RAGE CONSIDERED A THREAT TO YOUR LIFE? WHAT WERE YOUR REACTIONS TO YOUR SITUATION?
DOES IT WARRANT DEFENDING YOURSELF?
WHEN DOES IT BECOME NECESSARY TO DRAW YOUR WEAPON FROM YOUR VEHICLE?
WHAT DO YOU DO IF SOMEONE STARTS SHOOTING AT YOU FROM THEIR VEHICLE WHILE DRIVING?

2 Likes

Road rage is not a situation you want to find yourself in, however, it does give you a means of escape. Do not engage with the other driver and remove yourself from the situation.

The criteria for the use of lethal force in self-defense is imminent, unavoidable danger of death or grave bodily harm (in most states). In your vehicle, you can drive away.

14 Likes

But what if the Road Rager follows you to your destination?

4 Likes

I am a city driver. So I am around a lot of crazy all the time. Pretty much have seen everything. And I agree completely with @Dawn that you just have to drive away from the crazy. It’s going to happen cause people live in a world now where they are always in a hurry and will do whatever it takes to get there and get pissed if someone or yourself is in there way. See it seen been in it and drive away from it

5 Likes

IS ROAD RAGE CONSIDERED A THREAT TO YOUR LIFE?

Can be. If they’re just hanging their head out the window, screaming and yelling…I’m not too concerned. The minute they become violent, meaning using physical force to cause grave bodily harm whether by the use of a weapon or otherwise…then yes, it certainly could be considered a threat to my life.

WHAT WERE YOUR REACTIONS TO YOUR SITUATION?

Only experienced words…words don’t get me too excited most times. The right answer is to wave, smile, and drive away. I can neither confirm nor deny waving with a middle finger, tossing about some witty colorful language and catch phrases upon occasion. However…I’m pretty sure there was a smile involved most times. :smiling_imp:

DOES IT WARRANT DEFENDING YOURSELF?

If a weapon is involved from the perpetrator, and I’m put in a situation I can no longer avoid them, yes. A vehicle by definition can be considered a weapon, as well as a deadly weapon in certain circumstances.

WHEN DOES IT BECOME NECESSARY TO DRAW YOUR WEAPON FROM YOUR VEHICLE?

When all else has failed and no other option(s) exist.

WHAT DO YOU DO IF SOMEONE STARTS SHOOTING AT YOU FROM THEIR VEHICLE WHILE DRIVING?

Attempt to escape and evade as much as possible. If that is no longer an option…primarily my vehicle and my phone will become my weapon(s) of choice. If that fails me, I elevate my posture to a level necessary to defend myself, hopefully without becoming a statistic

6 Likes

That’s a very good question @Vince763. That happen to my daughter when she was just 16 years old. Luckily for her she was not far from my gym and I took off and pinged her and got to her and I was able to handle the older man who thought it was cool to pick on a young driver… I also taught her to not stop no matter if she had to go into a parking lot and drive through it or turn whatever she needed to do. And call the cops if they got her pinned in but never ever come home and show those individuals where you live.

9 Likes

Then your destination needs to become a police station. Assuming you are paying attention and see them before you stop at your house, workplace, etc.

16 Likes

In that case, my destination has been - and will, in the future be - a police station or sheriff’s station.

12 Likes
3 Likes

If being followed, make your destination the nearest police station.

6 Likes

Or if you have the time and gas just keep driving around in circles.

4 Likes

@Alexander8 and @OldGnome beat me to it. The other option - and one I would do no matter what - is to call the police if someone is following you. Head toward the closest police station and call the police to alert them you are being threatened.

I’ve actually had to do that (minus calling the police because I didn’t have a cell phone, yes I’m that old) when I was in my early 20’s. I pulled into the police station in a town not too far from where I live now and the guy following me just kept going.

7 Likes

Taking the other side for a moment. You may want to consider why you may have annoyed someone that much. A sorry gesture so a fellow motorist can mean so much for de-escalation.

5 Likes

How one’s life could change and very quickly from Road Rage. I was on a three lane road making a left turn onto a feeder road with three lane as well. Everyone knows the left lane is a turn lane only, the middle can turn or go straight, but the right lane is straight only. We’ve all seen them the Bad Boys with a Big Truck, well I’m in a 18 wheeler ( Mines is Bigger & all trucks are not slow ) he decides to turn with me from the right lane & I wasn’t looking where he wasn’t supposed to be. I was looking at my trailer left side so not to cut off anyone, when I become aware of him he was climbing down off of the cube. At this point it gets interesting he jumps in front of me as we are getting onto the 4 lane Highway then he starts to stop in front of me so I had to lock them up & he seen that I was going to hit him so he gave me some room & he did that two more times. Well we got stopped in the right lane & he gets out of his big truck & he is walking back to me in the second lane & a car hit his arm with there mirror as they went by him, at that time he began telling me how stupid I am. My reply was you stopped in the Highway in Rush Hour Traffic & me with 10,000 Gallons of LP Gas strapped on my you know where & I’m Stupid. The good news is he didn’t pull his & I didn’t pull mine.

7 Likes

Hope you don’t mind I moved your thread into this thread that’s already going about Road Rage, @DavidMc. I think it’s a great example in this conversation.

2 Likes

Welcome to the family! @DavidMc sorry about that crazy situation! Glad you’re okay!

4 Likes

@DavidMc. Welcome to the community, train hard and stay safe. :grinning:

2 Likes

Welcome @DavidMc!

1 Like

This :point_down:t4:

3 Likes

Welcome aboard @DavidMc. Thanks for sharing. I’m certain most of us have experienced a Road Rage situation at one time or another. With everything going on in our country these days this topic has become more prevalent in my community (Las Vegas, NV). Therefore, I thought it necessary to open up this topic just to keep our USCCA family on their toes.

1 Like