Legal consequences of firing your gun when your life isn't in danger

One cannot obtain firearms in any state, once convicted of a felony, it is also a federal law since the 1938 FFA.

3 Likes

Not sure what the problem is here? He was just following Biden’s self defense recommendations to the letter. Except he used a handgun instead of a double barrel shotgun;)

Wonder if the shooter could sue Biden in civil court since he is being arrested for following the legal advice of an elected official?

Seriously though. Know the laws and don’t endanger innocent people!

4 Likes

Yep! I represented someone in a similar situation.

2 Likes

Years ago I defended a young man who worked at a retail business in a high crime neighborhood. Some “customer” was threatening him, although the aggressor was unarmed. My client pulled out a gun from under the counter and told the guy to leave. A few minutes later the cops arrived and arrested my client. His charges were eventually dismissed after 3 trips to court, but the city of Chicago melted down his confiscated gun, which, the time, was considered contraband, per se. I always had the impression that the arresting officer was reluctant to cause my client trouble, and purposely found excuses to miss court dates.

4 Likes

From an attorney’s perspective, it is disturbing at times what some people consider self defense. I had one shoot a couple warning shots in the ground as the alleged assailant was walking away.

3 Likes

Did the shooter at least order the person to dance, like Old West movies?

5 Likes

We could probably have a whole discussion on this site, regarding carjacking. On one hand, it usually involves 1-2 criminals pointing a gun at you. On the other hand, if you hand over your car keys, do you still have a reasonable fear for your life? Plus many of the Chicagoland carjackers are 16 years old, or even younger! I’d sure hate to shoot a kid, even one brandishing a Glock. I have a feeling that it’s only a matter of time before some high profile self defense against an attempted carjacking case ends up on national news stations.

3 Likes

You’re right @Gary35! I feel what you are saying about kids with guns, but that very subject hit home for me a few years ago. A friend from a sister church, Jason Spencer, who lead the security team at his church, was walking Cherokee Triangle in Louisville with his new bride on November 5, 2017, the day after they got home from their honeymoon. While they were walking, a car came to an abrupt stop in front of them and a few kids piled out with guns and held him up. He gave them his wallet but they still shot him. After being shot, he drew his gun and returned fire to protect his soon to be widow, which he did.

There were (3) 15 year olds and a 13 year old involved in the murder who were driving a stolen car.

3 Likes

Just horrible. I wonder what sentences the young thugs received? I’m assuming not enough.

3 Likes

This is a sad story @MikeBKY and it just makes me angry that these thugs took a good mans life.

4 Likes

I was taught to NEVER to fire in the air,you might injure an innocent person,firing in the air the bullet coming down will and can kill a person and It has done so,what is the point any way,if you fire make sure you have and hit what you are firing at!

3 Likes

I have had a cartridge that didn’t fire after I pulled the trigger. I heard the “click” of the hammer striking the firing pin, but no “bang”. I pointed the rifle at the ground and kept it there for 30 seconds in case the cartridge was doing a slow burn. After 30 seconds, I ejected the cartridge and saw that it had a solid strike on the primer. Diagnoses: bad primer. I was out 30 seconds but nobody got hurt and nobody got a bad surprise.

2 Likes

How common is a slow burn? In gun safety class, we received the 30 second instruction, but does it happen often? Just curious, if anyone knows.

1 Like

In the words of notable Winchester ballistician Glen Weeks:

“Based on the SAAMI-specified drop test, statistics will tell you that our primers are 99.9997 percent reliable. That means that when struck with sufficient energy and properly centered, they will go off 99.9997 percent of the time. A lead-styphnate primer is probably one of the oldest and most reliable devices on the planet.”

30 seconds are not that long to invest!

3 Likes

I would invest 30 seconds at the range, for sure. In the unlikely event it happened during a self defense scenario, I’d have to take my chances.
Now that I think of it, I did have a defective bullet at the range, a few years ago. Not old ammo, either. A dry fire, but not a slow burn. But that’s the only one I can remember not working correctly, so Mr. Weeks might be right.

1 Like

No reason to wait 30 seconds in self-defence situation. Tap-rack and don’t even think about that bad round anymore.
If this one turns out to be a hang-fire, common physics takes over. Loose round has not enough energy to be a real danger.

4 Likes

Good point, although my most common carry is a revolver, so I’d just keep pulling the trigger and hope a slow burn didn’t go off while out of barrel position. However, the odds are massively against such a situation, considering quality ammo, not too old. Stay safe!

4 Likes

Wow… in that case, I don’t wanna think about hang fire… :scream: That might be a bad day without waiting extra 30 seconds. :grimacing:

2 Likes

Certainly a good argument for using high quality ammo!

3 Likes

We used to see it in shot gun shells when we used reloads, not real common but certainly not unheard of. We’d wait the 30 seconds and every once in a while one would fire several seconds after the trigger pull.

2 Likes