Leather Holster care

Greetings, what is/has been the best way to care for a Leather Holster? When i was young in baseball (70s) and beyond, Mink oil was recommended for Leather items - of course i didn’t own any firearms then but had ball gloves, boots & dress shoes of leather etc

What is best for the exterior? I realize it would be crazy to do anything to the interior of the holster, just seeking advice, TY

3 Likes

I use mink oil on mu Urban Carry lock leather.

5 Likes

I exclusively use Muddy River Tactical Leather IWBs. I saddle soap them when I get them, then I do nothing. I let the oils from my body take care of the rest. So far 5-6 years in, they seem to be weathering just fine.

3 Likes

MInk Oil is the best.
Recently I bought a big bottle of Ballistol and this one is ok for leather holsters as well.

4 Likes

Don’t oil leather holsters, especially don’t use Neatsfoot oil compound, which will not only soften the leather, but rot the stitching as well…
Use a good saddle soap for cleaning, and a wax, like Piccard’s for preserving/weatherproofing.

5 Likes

I hope nobody is thinking about soaking holster in the oil :joy:

Leather holster should be only soaked once with water to fit to the firearm and then only light touch of “something of your choice” to preserve the exterior.

Holster is not a glove to be soften. :wink:

7 Likes

With that being said do you know of any optic ready leather OWB holster makers? :thinking:

5 Likes

I dropped leather holsters idea the moment I started using red dot for my EDCs. Kydex manufacturers always been faster with all new features.

But I used Craft Holsters as my first source of leather accessories and I’m pretty sure they have holsters with optic cuts.

4 Likes

How is the finish on your ‘S’ holding up using a Kydex holster?

2 Likes

I got tired of the prices of leather holsters so, I decided to make my own. Fits like a glove and secure. I use the same thing I used to spit shine my military boots, old school style spit shine. I also made my own holster belt with two layers of leather glued and sewed together. Twice as thick as a Hanks belt.

7 Likes

I do what my buddy, a world class saddle maker, told me to do years ago and has worked for me for decades.

A quick wipe down with a clean rag and olive oil once every few years. No way I’m using any other oils or anything synthetic on my great leather holsters. They make the leather too soft.

9 Likes

Surprisingly no signs of wear.

My first pure Kydex was used for M&P9 and once I found it completely fine I never came back to leather / boltaron combo holsters.
All my new or replacement holsters are Kydex now.

6 Likes

I have liked Urban Carry, but they are a bit generic. I really like Hidden Hybrid Holsters. They are leather against the body and kydex for the firearm. Custom made in Ohio.

4 Likes

I use Neatsfoot Oil

2 Likes

Let’s the see the difference, so nobody is confused…

Neatsfoot oil is pure oil, derived from the hooves and shin bones of cows.
Neatsfoot oil compound is neatsfoot oil mixed with synthetic oil, usually petroleum-based. (some people say compound contains sulfur… which is not good for leather)

5 Likes

Pure neatsfoot oil makes leather more supple, which is why it’s used on tack (saddlery) which needs to be supple—who’d want to drive a horse with stiff reins? If a holster needs to be supple, then pure neatsfoot oil is your Huckleberry but it’s critical that most all leather holster designs need to retain rigidity.
I’m not sure what legit use there is for neatsfoot oil compounds other than it’s cheaper than pure neatsfoot oil, but it will eventually harm any stitching. Good leather holsters deserve better, IMHO.

3 Likes

Absolutely correct. But a lot of this depends on the amount used. You can oil leather to the point where it’s limp as a noddle or just use enough to keep the fibers healthy and supple. This usually means a quick wipe down with a rag that has oil on it. You never apply the oils directly to the leather.

I love vintage leather and I have a very nice collection of old holsters from many makers. When I get a holster that has been overoiled, especially with synthetics (god you can smell that petroleum :face_vomiting:) I actually soak them several times in lukewarm water with saddle soap to leech the oils out if the leather. When they finally come back to a place that will allow them to be stiff enough to retain shape they get a LIGHT wiping of a natural oil, usually Olive oil, but I have been known to use pure meats foot oil (which by the way I buy by the gallon to use on my saddles and tack) SPARINGLY!!!

Also for those that don’t know. If leather has any visible cracks or cracks when bent it has degraded well past the time when oiling and conditioning will restore it for actual use. You might want to stabilize something of significance or vintage for display but cracked leather will fail its purpose when you least want it to.

5 Likes

Once again everyone has offered up great advice and experiences. One leather clip on belt holster i have is black and bought in '09, i tried to find a tan holster like it but the company stopped producing them so i decided i better learn how to make this one last.
Thanks Everyone :v:

2 Likes

This was a link from a topic back in March of 2021 on What is the best way to take care of a leather holster.

4 Likes

I use the pure neat’s-foot oil. It has served me well with leather holsters(I don’t use much at all) and has served me through my younger years with baseball gloves and boots.

4 Likes