Lead toxicity from shooting

Are y’all concerned about lead exposure from shooting?

According to the study, for every 10% increase in the number of households that report owning a gun, there is an approximate 30% increase in cases of elevated pediatric blood lead levels.

“Typically the places where the firearm-related lead collects, such as in carpets, are places where young children spend a considerable amount of time,” said Hoover, who is a co-investigator at the Harvard Injury Control Research Center.

Personally, I intend to take advantage of the RKBA subject to any restrictions I may have as a new immigrant. That said, risks may be mitigated with awareness + responsible behavior.

With firearms in general, it is with things such as good trigger & muzzle discipline and responsible ownership. With lead exposure, things such as preferring outdoor ranges, keeping shooting clothes separate and washing them down separately, washing hands thoroughly, etc. should help.

Other avenues of lead exposure from shooting could be:

1. Breathing in the lead oxides from primers after shooting
  2. Exposure to metallic lead from bullet fragments on the range, or from firing non-jacketed (e.g. home cast lead bullets)
  3. Taking home lead residue on clothes, shoes, guns, gun cases, bags, etc.
  4. Lead residue from spent brass for those who collect it to recycle
  5. Lead exposure from any of those who refill ammo, especially those who cast their own bullets (probably a big topic on its own)
  6. Lead residue in game, e.g. fowl killed by birdshot
4 Likes

I only use an outdoor range so I don’t worry about it.
Get home, change clothes, wash hands and face, relax.

7 Likes

I prefer well ventilated ranges, go when it’s not busy (for many reasons), wash my hands, don’t hang out in the same clothes, and tend to wear older/lesser shoes to the range that stay in the garage

7 Likes

The article admits it need study, which means they don’t know crap. I’ve been shooting for over 60 years, shot with literally hundreds of fellow competitors and have not seen any health problems with those I’ve keep up with. All of us reloaded as well as shot lead, and haven’t seen them dropping off any faster than any other group. On another note the people I know that are up there in age are shooters. It’s just another back door way to scare people into questioning guns. Now I agree that when you directly handle or load lead you wash up afterwards. No different than cleaning up after working on your car, especially brakes. But for a vast majority of people this is of no concern. They buy a gun, shoot occasionally with jacketed bullets, and are not bringing home hazardous material on their clothes. You want to talk hazardous substances, read the labels on the foods you’re giving your kids.

16 Likes

I doubt Brown Univeristy is unbiased. :person_shrugging:t2:

I honestly don’t shoot enough to worry about it.

We have zero carpet in our home and our kids are no longer crawling. I’m more worried about my son getting it off of the ceiling than the floor at this point.

And yes, I shoot outdoors and at well ventilated indoor ranges.

The lead off soap is a good idea if you are concerned about exposure.

And welcome to America! I would be happy to hear your immigration story if you are interested in sharing.

4 Likes

I never thought much of it, nor did my Dad when I was growing up. He was one of those that cast his own shot. I can remember playing with the lead when I was a kid and he would get mad because the lead would end up all over the shop, but it never occurred to us the lead was actually bad for me.

Now here I am in my 60’s and lead poisoning is a real thing. My boys always wanted to collect spent casings and shells when we went to the range when they were young, but Mom and I didn’t let them. Still don’t.

Rag wrench across the weapons, wash hands, change clothes and don’t let the grandkids cut anymore teeth on the magazines.

I am surprised with all I went through I am still in as good shape as I am.

Really, I’m fine. BIP
Really, I’m fine. BIP
Really, I’m fine. BIP

5 Likes

I believe this article was in the USCCA magazine some time back.

2 Likes

Truthfully I’m way more concerned about my kids being exposed to this administration! There’s more toxicity in lies, than the amount of lead my kids will be exposed to during a few days, months or years on the range.

It’s called soap and water! As long as they are not eating my ammo, I’m good!

Over 35+ ( not including childhood ) years on ranges, indoors and outdoors, 3X a week and I, I, I, mmmm, tttttotally ffffine, no ffffu0kin exposure here!

There’s more to worry about than lead poisoning from a few days on the range. Holy crap, California everything known to man causes cancer! Everything from popcorn to playdoh!
Sounds like another scare tactic!

12 Likes

I always wash my face and hands with soap and water after shooting but other than that, no, I’m not worried. Men (or women—trying to be inclusive haha) with beards should pay extra attention to that.

5 Likes

Same Same Here Brotherrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr…I’m Fine. (Pause, turn card over)
I’m honestly more concerned w/ all the Lead, Phosphorous, Grenade fragments
that punctured my body than I am Loading my mags (Gloves), Handling ‘Hoppe’s’
(I love the smmmmmmell of Hoppe’s in the morning!) Ventilator’s in my Indoor Range
The RO’s won’t even let you take drinks to your Lane for the Horror’s of Lead particles?
I don’t get that one because the sh** is flying up my nose anyway—maybe a shmagh huh?
I’m more concerned with what I Rrrrrrrread about my beloved Diet Coke’s yesterday.
Aspartame is directly linked to DDDDDDDementia and all sorts of Internal issues. Stopped that cold now.
(they better not find anything wrong w/ Waffle’s!) But I don’t care if they do! I’ll happily pass away w/ Syrup on my lips than a shot to the noggggggggin’…

7 Likes

As a once upon a time university teacher in statistics, I told my students stats don’t lie, but liars can sure use stats. Brown University, in this case, is as liberal as they come and one of the Ivy Leaguer’s. Nuff said. And my response to the question is Nope.

8 Likes

Since I shoot at outdoor ranges, and giving the Brown University “facts” more than the consideration they deserve, I offer a well known quote from Harry Morgan (Colonel Potter of MAS*H fame) : HORSEHOCKEY!!

11 Likes

IMG_5625

7 Likes

ALSO a good one!!

3 Likes

For when Col Flagg shows up.
IMG_5626

6 Likes

I have the MAS*H boxed set. Clearly, I’ll have to watch them again soon. I forgot that one. too.

5 Likes

Robert1025 - I like how you have defined this comment. It is a scare tactic trying to make it more expensive for shooters to give up the lead ammo they use. I asked my doctor about this one time, and he told me you would have to be exposed continually for years for it to leach into your body enough to affect organs. Unless you ingest it you can remove lead from your skin by washing it off.

9 Likes

That is such a bs move, notice the weasel word may that right there in academic speak. Means we can not replicate anything based off of the study, so we are going to toss out a scary story and add children so it will get some play amongst those who are inclined to not like guns anyway.

This is the exact playbook that the Democrats use on Republicans. Tie them up answering bs accusations so the Democrats can skip in while the Republicans are tied up, answering a bs accusation.

11 Likes

Absolute B.S., which is why it’s no longer found on Browns website. It probably wasn’t a peer-reviewed article, and funded by (put name of gun control whacko group here).
Unless you are an extremely untidy reloader or let your children play with un-jacketed rounds like marbles, for decades, it’s highly unlikely what they are talking about has any kernel of truth.
First, these geniuses would have to sucker tens of thousands of households that own and don’t own firearms (control group) to participate in the study, including submitting all of the family to extensive bloodborn metals testing, eliminating evironmental exposures, and singling out the vector for entering the bloodstream.
The exposure levels of lead from paint, gasoline, PC electronics and other materials were sky high going into the 80’s and have been at historic lows since the mid 2000’s, so trying to extrapolate exposures to lead from shooting vs normal environmental exposure would be nearly impossible.
I’d be more concerned about our exposure to processed foods and sugar, contributing to endemic diabetes, obesity and it’s related causes of mortality, but what do I know.

10 Likes

Politically motivated research :roll_eyes:

6 Likes