Lead toxicity from shooting

As an option,I noticed there is some good ammunition available that’s not lead, and some forests require their use when bird or small game hunting. CCI makes a copper .22 ( I read somewhere “it’s the fastest .22 ammo in existence”; So we got a kick out of out when our youngest took great great grandpa’s old rifle to the range and used that ammo).

When used, I noticed my firearm and hands are cleaner as well.

I understand some animals do eat bb’s by mistake. Personally, I don’t mind non lead ammunition when hunting.

I’d use non lead for EDC, but there aren’t that many brands. For range, the lead ones are more plentiful and costs less. Lot’s of other reasons to enjoy an outdoor range as well, there again, not so many, especially where I live. I found one "a ways a way?, looking forward to checking it out, and “making a whole fun day of it”.

Enjoy.

3 Likes

Thanks for all the input and feedback folks. Lots of knowledgeable people here.

First off I think it is really great that many in the US understand that it is a God-given right to be able to defend yourselves and carry the means to do so. It’s one of the reasons why I am moving from Europe to the USA. People here have not only been disarmed physically but also mentally/ideologically as well.

Defend yourself in your own home from robbers entering your home? “Oh that’s what the police are for.” A sorry state of affairs.

I’ve turned in my firearms as I prepare to emigrate but saying you intend to use your firearms if the need arose, for self-defense, is a big no-no. Your license application would be rejected and the applicant would (probably) be blacklisted. Welcome to a disarmed state.

It may be naive but as someone with a scientific background my first instinct is to give the other scientist the benefit of the doubt because that’s what I’d do if I report on something…put my personal feelings aside and report objectively based on the data.

I note some posters said that one would need excessive exposure to lead for it to matter, but note the FDA (and other places) would say that there is no safe exposure level for lead.

https://www.fda.gov/food/environmental-contaminants-food/lead-food-and-foodwares

Because there is no known safe level of exposure to lead, the FDA monitors and regulates levels of lead in foods.

That said, life is 100% fatal and while we pursue “Life, liberty and happiness” it is all about sensible and proportionate mitigation of risks. Even the risk averse are going to find that staying in bed to avoid danger, also entails health risks of its own :wink:

If I ever get to casting my own bullets for example, I’d look into working with molten lead in a fume cupboard, possibly work with pure copper bullets, lead free primers, etc. if the intention is to use it to shoot game.

For scientists this is our way of saying “We need more research funding.” :shushing_face:

Yup, I know the demographic well. In the shooting clubs and competitions I’ve been to in Europe, it’s mostly older ex-Army types. Always impresses me how they can hit a bullseye with iron sights from 300m away.

Thanks, I enjoyed reading the article.

Yup, there’s truth in that too. Lies are indeed poison to the soul.

9 Likes

11 Likes

In a way, I can see “other” benefits from the hygiene though, washing, cleansing one’s self, home, carpet - from other debris of everyday life, especially if little ones crawling around. I carry extra indoor-only sandals in my car for when entering some’s home. :blush:

3 Likes

@Jay89 It appears that you’re already an American citizen! :thinking: :rofl: It’s great to hear from you, and stay involved.

4 Likes

@Karacal - Yeah, that’s shocking. It’s like them petting us on the head telling us that we can’t be trusted to review the data ourselves.

Thanks Ronald :sweat_smile:. I have a bit of de-brainwashing to do but fortunately I never have fully subscribed to the concept that our governments should have a monopoly on the right and means of self-defense.

The way I see it, many European countries, even the Republics of today, are descended from monarchies where the people were subjects and revolutions (usually violent) were a historical fact. So the ruling classes were skittish about the peasants being armed.

When America was having its revolution against British rule, France helped with weapons shipments. So it is baked into American DNA that well armed citizens are a check against tyranny.

At the moment I’m doing research into American business culture and negotiation style. I could do with general pointers as well as regional tips for Texas.

5 Likes

I remember a story of an avid squirrel hunter who was sick. The doctor did an x-ray of his stomach and found a pound of lead shot. Instead of spitting out the lead shot he would swallow it. It settled in his stomach and never passed through his system.

3 Likes

they really need to check the house wares imported from China
the glazing is loaded with lead so that’s a bigger danger to children

4 Likes

I don’t balance my own tires. I figure that way it all evens out!

1 Like

More fear mongering from ■■■■■■■■. L I b T a r d s. (Forgot, on this platform you can say that Trump supporters on J6 raped America, but can’t correctly describe people who are mentally ill) Brown university is one of the wokest propaganda centers.

1 Like

Reminds me of a story I heard. When I was on a tour of Israel, I had a chat with an older guy in a Druze village. He said back in the 1960s or so, it was not uncommon for houses in his village to use kerosene for cooking and heating.

One day his mum thought he was old enough to go fetch some kerosene. Back then they used rubber tubes as siphons which needed to be sucked to start the oil flowing. He took a suck but didn’t stop. Swallowed enough to put him in a coma.

Doctor at the hospital told his parents if he made it through this, he would probably be brain damaged and with lifelong chronic illnesses.

Over the course of the next few days, the boy made a full recovery. Doctor changed his prognosis to “This guy will never get sick.” :smile:

3 Likes

There’s a few god folks on this site with some business acumen. I hope you get good help.

Texas is a great choice!

1 Like

Life is a terminal disease and we all know how it’s transmitted. :rofl:

1 Like

After I got hurt, I went back to school to get a professional certification degree. I chose Accounting, specifically Forensic Accounting. Turns out I was really good at it, our Accounting Chair was a world renowned Forensic Accountant with over 150 published papers and involved in 300+ Federal cases for the Prosecution. So, she is well known and respected in Academia, Law Enforcement, and the Academic Profession. She became my mentor and through her I became the Resident Scholar Researcher for the Southeast for one of the largest Accounting Firms in the world. I was published 3 times, as the secondary or tertiary author. Lehman Brothers was the largest fraud I published on. Through my mentor I learned an incredible amount about publishing Academic papers.

I mention all of this to point out one immutable fact of being a published Academic and publishing Academic research papers. When you use words such as may, could, maybe, might, or other synonyms in your conclusions. You remove any validity to your conclusions. To be an actual scholarly, and an academically accepted paper. You have to submit your data, and then a minimum of 3 other independent Academic Researchers have to be able to achieve the same conclusions that you posit as your theory. If otherwise it’s not an academically accepted provable Academic paper. It’s just an opinion, but the average person doesn’t know that. They see the authors names, the fact that it’s published and thinks it’s authoritative. At least that is how it is as ademic research for Accountants.

It’s nothing but an opinion, and opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one.

5 Likes

William191 - that is amazing. I don’t understand why the man didn’t spit the shot out. To me it would hurt your teeth when chewing.

1 Like

I’ve only personally known of 2 people that got lead poisoning from shooting. Both were from excessive shooting at indoor ranges with inadequate ventilation.

The first one is a friend of mine that was working on a small arms electronic detection design. Basically the system detects the sonic boom as the bullet passes over it and determines where it hit the target. It was a new technology at the time that Uncle Sam was funding for military ranges. Anyway, my buddy spent 8+ hours a day shooting an M16 seven days a week for months on end. I don’t know how many shooters there were, but he was not the only one. As far as I know he was the only one that got lead poisoning. He fully recovered.

The other was after I retired. A group of us retirees would meet every Wednesday morning at an indoor range with 12 lanes that were almost always full. We hated it when someone would bring smoky ammo. The smoke would fill the bay. Anyway, we would shoot for an hour and then go to lunch together. Unbeknownst to me, one of our group was doing this 5 to 6 days a week for years. I don’t know how many years, but when he didn’t show up one Wednesday, we were told he had lead poisoning. COVID hit around that time and I lost contact.

With that said, if lead poisoning from shooting is rampant, then one would expect that almost every Range Officer that works at an indoor range would eventually get lead poisoning. It is my observation that is not the case.

4 Likes

@Gary_H … Happy anniversary! :tada::tada: Here’s to another year in the books.

2 Likes

I read somewhere that, in ancient Rome, lead was used as a sweetener.

Happy Anniversary @Gary_H

2 Likes

… specifically Lead(II) acetate [Pb(OAc)2 …

Lead(II) acetate - American Chemical Society.

" …an inorganic salt with several uses, notably as an ingredient in dyes and mordants. Even though it is highly toxic (see the hazard information table), in the past it has been used as a sweetener and preservative in wines and other foods."

You peaked my interest so I had to look

1 Like