Lawmakers approve plan to have schools display 10 Commandments

I’m not opposed to Ten Commandments but my life was not shaped by them.
My Parents taught me to be the person who I am, not religion.
My kids have free will. I’m doing my parenting the best way to make them good people. But religion has nothing to do with it.
I would say… Religion didn’t create good man. The man created religion based on his good deeds.

1 Like

Is it fair to say, your parents taught you same principles, as the 10 Commandments, in a form that was easy for you to understand when you were a child?

3 Likes

Yeah, sure, Texas. That will solve all the problems in our schools.
Our kids can read or write, but at least our kids will see “thou shalt not covet they neighbor’s wife” behind their trans-woman teacher’s desk.

Well, it does and it doesn’t. You can’t deny the Judeo-Christian fingerprints that are all over our founding documents. They also emphasized certain rights that come from God, not gov’t. Too many kids are coming out of school believing the gov’t is our caretaker and terms like liberty and freedom are to be defined by gov’t. You have to include the religious experiences of the founders to get the best understanding of what they wrote. While you don’t want to violate the 1st Amendment by including to much about dogma, you also don’t want to sterilize history and try to keep “religion” out of a discussion on our founding; which was rooted in Judeo-Christian principles.

3 Likes

man created religion??? hmmm…

based on his good deeds???

hmmm… there are IMHO so very many big holes in that statement…

challenge? Prove Jesus never existed?

1 Like

I see what you mean. I forget that I am unique and appreciate other religions and their beliefs because I feel as though your relationship with God is personal. So, me explaining my beliefs are just me. I do not expect anyone else to believe like I do because I am more of a realist. I know everybody is different and a person who thinks they know is only misguiding themselves. Your perspective and understanding of things are based upon what you already know and since you do not know, you can only guess.
So, with all of that, nobody likes forced religion.

1 Like

Yes. There is true in that statement… but that’s why we chose that religion over another. It just fits the life we live.

If I were born Buddhist I hopefully would be the same man, but Ten Commandments wouldn’t apply to me…
The behavior mentioned in Ten Commandments would somehow describe my life… but I wouldn’t believe in them as religious principles.

We don’t talk about Jesus. Each of us has own believes.
We talk about the way we, the Parents, want to teach our kids to live a proper life.
Even the religion can be used to show the kids how to live, it is something that stays at home. School should be out of religion. Religion should be out of school.
As @Karacal mentioned… If you want to educate your kids the Catholic way, you sign them up into Catholic School.

To me, the 10 Commandments written in modern English appear pretty non-denominational. They dont mention Jesus, nor Moses, nor any rituals.
I am not familiar with Buddhism, and cannot say if there is anything in it that would make the 10 Commandments problematic.
Followers of polytheistic religions without chief deity, may take an issue with the 1st commandment, but frankly, a lot more people have been subjected in public school to the teachings of Church of Climate, and Faith in 72 genders.

1 Like

they will see “thou shalt not bear false witness”. It helps with good Grammar, nouns, pronouns…

1 Like

When politicians decide what should and should not be displayed or taught in public schools, it’s time to look somewhere else for your childrens’ education. Vote with your feet.

3 Likes

Agree. If you read Jefferson, Adams, et al you will find that it seems every paragraph they wrote contained at least a couple of references to God.

1 Like

To a certain extent, yes. But as an absolute, I think not. I wouldn’t want a public school teacher trying to explain the theological differences between Anglicans and Roman Catholics, for example. But learning that a king denounced the pope and declared himself head of the church, imposing his beliefs on all his loyal subjects, even to the point of publicly executing dissenters, really says a lot about the 1st Amendment.

1 Like

A copy of the Constitution wouldn’t be hurt either.

2 Likes

actually if you look at our history prior to about 1950 or so the Bible was in many of or school…

and to some extent was taught… and read…

the original charter of some colleges contained references to biblical principals…

and in some case it was taught as well…

in at least one college it was required… Harvard IIRC…

hard to find the original Harvard charter now… and there have been some changes there…

2 Likes

Unfortunately, it’s written in cursive, and kids in school aren’t taught to read that, anymore. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

4 Likes

I agree with that statement, however, as an Atheist, I take no offense at the Ten Commandments, and do not believe a display of such is forcing religion on me. I do agree with others about displaying the Bill of Rights is good, too. So would be actual teaching of those and our Constitution and what it means and why those documents were created.

I don’t care what religion, or not, you are, the Ten Commandments are solid values, and if you do not believe in one God or Gods, ignore that part and get on with your life. Jefferson only stated that our government should not establish religion or favor one over the other. He did not state that those in government could not have religious beliefs or that the Supreme Court building could not display Moses and the Ten Commandments.

This is only the first of many sites I found on this topic, excerpt:

Joseph Loconte, a religious expert from The Heritage Foundation, said it’s clear America’s Founding Fathers intended to create a secular constitution for the young nation.

But while the “the body of the Constitution is a secular text,” Loconte said, “it was perfectly natural to them to have the religious roots of the republic represented in symbol form to remind people of those religious roots and connections.”

Today’s liberal left, Loconte asserted, believes that the Constitution gives them the right never to hear religious speech they find offensive. "That is not at all at what the First Amendment protects…the First Amendment protects the right of all individuals, religious or non-religious, to express their views.

“This idea that you have a constitutional right never to hear religious speech that you find offensive is madness, absolute madness,” Loconte said.

But Robert Boston, assistant communications director with Americans United for Separation of Church and State, believes the figures of Moses and the Ten Commandments at the Supreme Court are merely there in a historical context, along with many other depictions.

5 Likes

And I believe Jeremiah was a bullfrog… :rofl:

1 Like

Yep also a good choice! :us:

Hey Jerzy, last part of your comment on what would be achieved by the display of the 10. By how things are it won’t make any difference. Only to us who believe and care, i think. :us: Others out there it’s going to take a near death experience to change their thinking. I was raised a Baptist; My Army Dog tags say protestant. But I consider myself Non-Denominational Christian. I have met many good folks of wide variety of beliefs. I do believe also the absence of these principles are what’s happening in schools today.

4 Likes