Lasers on firearms as deterrence, as a primary sighting system or as a territory backup sighting system?

This is funny. When I posted this, I responded to some aggreable and not so agreeable coments, and I said I guess in the end everything has it’s place or something similar to that! YOU just proved that!

6 Likes

Absolutely correct! I helped a 85 year young lady rig a fanny pack to her walker and found a pistol she could work with. She was brutally effective and fast at short range at whipping out a .25acp Beretta out of that pack and landing every shot in the juicy part of a bad guy in seconds! This is a combination that most would scoff at and yet for her it worked very well and was pretty much her best alternative to being totally defenseless :+1::+1:

11 Likes

I LOVE that! I am a personal trainer and often help those with a disability to work around it in the arena of life and mobility. You took it a step farther!

6 Likes

If the laser/light is on my firearm, Ill still use my sights. Better deterent than aiming point imo.

3 Likes

For home defense, both our nightstand hand guns are equipped with Crimson Trace Railmasters.

7 Likes

Looks sweet

2 Likes

I don’t find it necessary to have a laser on my EDC. In the past, I have carried with a laser & determined that I really won’t use it. All my sights are tritium & I have a Streamlight on all four of my EDCs. I do have a S&W bodyguard 380 with a built in green laser which was my wife’s EDC until her arthritis became problematic for the trigger pull on a double action pistol. We ended up buying the Ruger Security 380 lite rack. She loves the fiber sights & does not want a laser for it.

5 Likes

in many states no powers of arrest???

whatever happened to the citizens arrest powers???

not sure using them is a good thing BTW with the law suites n such now a days…

but was a time if you announced a citizens arrest the law was required to respond immediately IIRC???

2 Likes

[I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice]

Generally speaking, on the topic of citizen’s arrest: No / Avoid. Fraught with peril both physical and legal

5 Likes

And in many states it’s actually illegal.

5 Likes

In my state, citizen’s arrest may be considered false imprisonment and / or kidnapping, or it could be viewed as holding the bad guy at gun point until LE arrive. One will land you in jail for a very long time, and the other will likely get you thanks from the county sheriff for helping them do their job. Entirely dependent on the circumstances and the prosecutor.

6 Likes

that can be true , hard to spot in those conditions, since most self defense encounters are at fairly close range. for when I don’t have the time or might have a slower time picking up the sights at closer ranges I have practiced point shooting with my EDC to aid both speed and accuracy don’t get me wrong, I do like my laser for low light conditions.

4 Likes

I plan on getting better at point shooting but a green laser on my P928 always puts me right on target. I can see it on cloudy days but I always use sights during the day. Low light and pure dark times is to me the perfect time for a laser sight. I am planning to get one for my new pistol Sig 365 XL if anyone has any recommendations.

3 Likes

Streamlight TLR-4 compac rail light with atac Light w laser.

Veridian C5L universal Green Light Laser, the high end professional option.

You could also go to www.sig-guru.com

2 Likes

I don’t know if I would likely use a laser as a de-escalation tool but I really like them in close to dark or dark conditions. When I took my CCW course the laws were a bit different in my state and we were told never to pull it unless you were going to fire. I think now with the Castle Doctrine and stand your ground laws, we have a little more flexibility. Not much, but a little. I would think if you are in a situation that you need to shoot, you will be the only one in the fight that sees the laser. The other guy will be looking at you. If he is seeing the laser and thinking about that, he is not pinpointed on you, which is a good thing. Gives you a little more time. I know what you mean about the laser bouncing around, but you have to look at it this way. If the laser is bouncing, so is your firearm whether or not you are looking through the sights or looking at a dot. In most cases, if you use your firearm, you are going to be in a close situation with little time to aim. I like having a green dot on the target and I wouldn’t care where it is at on the target because that is the fastest way to stop him one way or the other, and it doesn’t matter whether you have gotten the gun to your eye or maybe only to your side. If you can see the laser, that is where the shot is going to go. I love mine for low light or total darkness. The only thing I like more is the day/night scope I have on my AR.

1 Like

I don’t see how a laser can give away your position. A flashlight I can understand it causing problems with that but I see less chance with a laser. I have never seen my laser except as a reflection on the target. Of course, I’ve never looked from the other end or the side. I will check when I get my new one and see or get another battery for the other one I have.

1 Like

Beats the hell out of a pointy stick!!

3 Likes

Damned right it does! And it beats the hell out of screaming for help.

2 Likes

If there’s any amount of dust in the air, you’ll be able to see the line.

1 Like

If you even have the time to see my dot on you you’ll never have the time to stop the hole that will happen immediately after that, never mind follow a laser back to me.

3 Likes