Just got my defensive ammo

Well, since I can’t find much for defensive ammo, I had to order it directly from SIG. Their guns are great, and man, oh man, the ammo is superb. 9mm 124 gr V-CROWN JHP. I ordered 100 rounds for the time being and loaded up. You can see my YouTube video unboxing it.

On a side note, SIG has gone bankrupt in Germany thanks to all the regulations.

8 Likes

Yeah, Firearm production in Europe is a tough business. Almost impossible to survive without Military or Government contracts.

Sig gets nice slogan, which matches to current situation:
Born in Europe, Perfected in America

6 Likes

Well, maybe they can just move lock, stock, and barrel, to the USA. It’s not like there aren’t 150,000,000 customers here. Minimum.

8 Likes

Switched to Sig v crown a couple years ago and haven’t looked back. Love their fmj offerings as well it’s just a little pricey.

4 Likes

With the FMJ,I just make my own to save money. But the mushroom of the V-CROWN is consistent and very good for the intended purpose.

4 Likes

If I’m not mistaken, they ar totally American now, which makes sense. They have the military contract and I have heard some police are starting to switch away from GLOCK to them.

4 Likes

Oooh that has such a nice ring to it.

4 Likes

What makes it so good?

3 Likes

I’ve bought a few boxes on this and seen some videos. I think their 9mm is actually pretty good. The larger they seem to get the more trouble they have with expansion. I almost bought it in 45, but according to lucky gunners ballistics it didn’t do much (it was also fired out of a small barrel, so that could be it).

I’ve scene videos where this ammo struggled to expand through clothing. (This is 10mm).

There are two reasons it’s really good ammo. It’s usually way cheaper, and it is a hollow point that shoots. My home defense ammo was Sig V-Crown for some time (40 cal) I recently switched it to HST (this is my typical carry ammo).

I’ll just say this. For me to get HST I’m paying about $25 (at a retail store). You can get V-Crown for around $15 (at the same store). 9mm seems to be a good choice, 40 is okay, I personally would not buy the 45. From my experience, the stuff feeds and shoots. I would confidently carry the 9mm. Over penetration is slight concern the larger the caliber (this could be because some of the tests I’ve seen where done with smaller guns).

5 Likes

@Brian_J Sig v-crown is my defense ammo of choice as well. :+1:

4 Likes

All ammo is defensive ammo. Some are just better at being defensive ammo than others.

4 Likes

Is v crown better than Hornaday? I was able to get a couple of boxes of v crown for a good price but a friend of mine said to buy the Hornaday which was considerably more expensive.

3 Likes

Hornady is an excellent choice and has a proven track record In real world performance up there with Speer. I personally went to the Sig V-Crown for a couple reasons. First it has proved to be reliable for me as far as feeding in my weapons and I trust that it will perform based on testing reviews. Secondly, it closely mimics Sigs FMJ round and I can tell no difference when shooting the V-Crown vs FMJ in the same grain weight. It also doesn’t affect the zero of my red dot. I’ve also noticed a lot of consistency with the 124gr V-Crown and 124gr federal and Fiochi FMJ rounds I use at the range. I feel like it allows me to train more realistically. This Consistency is the main reason I personally switched from Hornady to the Sig V-Crown.

5 Likes

The fact that the mushroom of these hollow point is uniform, from the first on… that equals reliability… that equals dependability.

3 Likes

This is really cool :+1:.

3 Likes

Ever since they came on the market m carry ammo is only DRT rounds (Dynamic Research Technologies) Nickname for the is dead right there! They are frangible Rounds that penetrates non liquid and regular FMJ rounds until it hits liquid areas like the body and they then explode and don’t pass through to any one else.They are very similar to the 308 rounds We fixed in Cambodia/Laos,we would drill a 1/8th hole in the end ok a bullet and drop one drop of formulated Mercury in the hole and close the hole with a drop of lead or wax and apply Brasso to polish the bullet.Then we would be ready for the next mission,I have DRT Rounds for all my weapons,most especially my carry rounds.

2 Likes

My UPS guy hated me today. I finally got my ammo for my .300 Blackout AR. 1200 rounds total, 200 for range tomorrow, 1000 to keep ammo stock equivalent to other calibers. I see either a bigger safe in my future or another same size as I have already.

4 Likes

Been trying to get my hands on some Federal HST or Speer Gold Dot in 9mm, but I have only found, and currently have, Sig V Crown. Ran some through last time at the range with no issues, and felt about like the range ammo I am using.

4 Likes

It’s nice that there ammo performs great and shoots and feels, like you said, about like other ammo. No surprises, just dependability.

4 Likes