Norma Non-eXpanding Defense Ammo

Just got an email from Norma introducing their new Non-eXpanding Defense (NXD) Ammo. this is it in 9mm: 9mm - 65gr - NORMA NXD - Self-Defense - QTY 20 - Norma Shooting

Looks like initial supply has already sold out!

It also looks very similar to this: 9mm Luger 68gr. Xtreme Defender Solid Monolithic Hunting & Self Defense Ammo (underwoodammo.com)

6 Likes

This is a welcome news where expanding ammo is prohibited, or if your EDC weapon does not eat expanding ammo happily. Paul Harrell has a positive review of this type of ammo, I think it was a .380 though.

2 Likes

I have been searching for any ballistic test of 9mm NXD.
I will take a look at Herrell’s review then.

NXD seems to be good choice wherever HP is prohibited, but I’m wondering what is that ammo’s pressure used to gain 1,730 fps. :thinking:

1 Like

I will add, the NXD name is also legally-friendly, if you will. Smart marketing.

1 Like

Defensive ammo that should feed through a PCC. Interesting.

1 Like

There is a YouTube video on the Norma link, however they shot into gel only, no FBI clothing, but since it doesn’t expand it probably doesn’t matter.

1 Like

I worry that these fast but extremely light for caliber bullets will be much more likely to deflect off of bones and other hard surfaces that they don’t hit straight on. Though the velocity is perhaps high enough (at least at the muzzle) to maybe produce somewhat rifle-like Hydrostatic shock damage if it doesn’t deflect.

1 Like

And I don’t believe in manufacturer’s tests.
I want to see independent tests which confirm the original ones.
We’re talking about self defense rounds and I’m long way away from putting this round into my handgun without knowing the facts and making a trust to it.

4 Likes

I’m with you. Except for me, saying I’m a “long way” from putting this round into my defensive firearm is an understatement.

Unless I lived where I could somehow legally possess a defensive pistol, yet expanding/JHP ammunition was illegal (the fabled legal handgun in NJ?), I wouldn’t even consider these.

We have decades and tremendous volumes of evidence and real world results on all kinds of existing JHP designs, spending more money for limited supply boutique stuff that is brand new…I just don’t see it. Like, at all.

Unless using the known-good JHP is literally illegal

4 Likes

This “NXD” looks very much like Lehigh’s “Xtreme” series of projectiles (Underwood’s link uses the Xtreme Defender) or Inceptor ARX projectiles.

I’d imagine there should be some gel tests coming soon from the guntube crowd. There are lots of gel tests of Lehigh and a fair number of the ARX available on youtube.

The theory of it, is the channels/fluting offer similar performance in terms of damage and penetration as a comparable hollow point by pushing/deflecting material to the sides. These all seem to be light & fast projectiles so I’m guessing the physics of how they work depends on that velocity. I’m not sure how they’d work at extended distances or out of short barrels.

While i don’t think they offer you anything “more” than a good hollow point, they offer an excellent alternative to FMJ in those states (cough * new jersey * cough) where hollow points are not allowed.

Here is one video (MAC goes on some tangents, resulting in longer video) on LEHIGH’s Xtreme Defender, which is similar construction to the NXD. @Shamrock around 18m mark, he shoots through some ribs (beef? pork?) without affecting performance.

4 Likes

Yup, just a copy of Underwood, I bought these for my .32 ACP. and 9mm, (Underwood) very accurate in both calibers. :+1:

1 Like

So, are you saying that Xtreme Defender 90gr / 1,475 fps and NXD 65gr / 1,730 fps will work same way? Same penetration, same cavity wound and deflection?
Did anyone find if NXD is “+P”, “+P+” or just regular pressure ammo?

I have not found that answer in print. Underwood produces “standard” pressure as well as +P with 68 grain bullets. As you pointed out, Underwood does not produce a +P+ version with the 68 grain bullet.

The standard pressure Underwood compares very closely with the Norma, 436 ft-lbs vs. 432 ft-lbs. Of course, we don’t know their test parameters, very importantly, what length barrel was used. However, being within 4 ft-lbs of each other, I would expect the Norma is closer to standard pressure than +P (Underwood +P is 489 ft-lbs).

@BRUCE26 might be able to answer my main question - how “snappy” is the recoil on the “light” bullet zipping out at 1,700 FPS? Does it make reacquiring sights for follow-up shots slower due to muzzle flip?

2 Likes

Yes, and in New Jersey, filled HP are not HP under their law. I don’t know of a state that prohibits expanding bullets. New Jersey does not prohibit HP because they expand, per se. They prohibit them because they are supposedly more lethal rounds - and only LE are “allowed” to carry them. However, we all know that the point, no pun intended, of HP, is that they are safer, as they will less likely go through multiple targets, and more of their energy will be expended in the intended target, making it more likely the threat will be neutralized.

1 Like

The only vid I could find from Norma. :us:

@Gary_H
The XD from Underwood is the 90grn at 1475fps it does have a bit more snap but not uncontrollable and are very accurate, I bought them for winter carry where I may need more penetration. :us:

1 Like

I don’t think it would be the “same”, just “similar” because they have similar construction.

Like hollow points from different manufacturers behave similarly (expand on contact), but that doesn’t mean the performance is the same in regards to penetration, expansion, wounding, etc.

3 Likes

I agree with HP bullets. Expansion stops the projectile pretty quick. That’s the idea of “mushroom”.
I’m not sure if I can trust in “similarity” when the bullet travels with really high velocity and that velocity is different, plus projectile’s weight is also different.

Why should I use shape similarity to Xtreme Defender instead of speed similarity to 22TCM?
And that will make a huge difference how the ammo works.

Anyway. It’s how I see it. I won’t use this ammo for my firearms, so won’t dig for specs anymore.

4 Likes

Agree 100 percent @Jerzees. I have to check it out myself.

2 Likes

Watch the video carefully. You will see the projectile yawing back and forth. I was expecting it to tumble but it didn’t. A short, light-for-caliber projectile is unstable, especially when the twist in a standard 9mm barrel is optimized for 115-147 grain bullets. I’m not sure I would trust my life to this design, but that’s just me.

4 Likes

Here is a link (Super Slow Motion - Hollow Points Hitting Ballistic Gel & Food - YouTube) to gel tests of various hollow point calibers and type. Just looking at the shockwaves it seems that the hollow points are making bigger cavities throughout their path. We need cimparison tests with its penetration through winter clothing and recoil vs. std hollow points to see if it is worth it.

2 Likes