January 2023 CCM, Page 93 Cane Usage Issue

As I read the January 2023 CCM article titled “Victim to Victor”, I noticed an inaccuracy about cane usage. It caught my attention because last week I finished therapy from right hip replacement surgery. On page 93, the last paragraph in center column states to place cane in right hand for bad right leg. That is incorrect from what I was taught and every search I just did.

6 Likes

@DES57
I understand what you are saying is that you were taught that for a bad right leg you put the cane in your left hand. Is that what you are saying?

4 Likes

I would think that the cane would go on the deficient side to augment.

3 Likes

Yes. It seems logical to support an injured right leg with a cane in the right hand, but that is wrong. You place the cane in the opposite hand and move it in conjunction with the injured leg.

3 Likes

Yes. Right leg, right hand. The nurse tried to tell me the same thing. I tried it and didn’t like it.
Do what is or feels best for you.

5 Likes

I am not a PT expert but when I had my knee replaced, the PT insisted I used the opposite side with the cane.

4 Likes

I can’t disagree with doing what works best for you. I use to be in that camp also. However, as I trusted the professionals and tried their prescribed method with an open mind, I was able to move around more safely, coordinated, and comfortably. I’m 70.

3 Likes

If your right leg collapses, are you going to catch yourself on your left side, probably not, you will fall to your right and you will catch yourself with the cane, been there, done that. I don’t think the article is wrong, it’s just an opinion.

5 Likes

I have twisted my ankle so bad while running and the doctor gave me instructions to carry the cane on the injury side. The article in the CCM states if you have a bad right leg, proper cane technique would put it in your right hand.

Quote from page 93 CCM-
because you have a bad right
leg, proper cane technique would
place it in your right hand.

4 Likes

If you read on it also states- However if you shoot right-handed, this can pose a
problem. Assess your ability to draw and shoot without using the cane for support.

4 Likes

If your injury is so bad that your are in danger of collapse I’d prefer to be on crutches and not relying on a cane in either hand.

3 Likes

I think you’ll find every medical professional/journal recommends left (errored typing right) hand for right side injuries if you’re able to do reasonable weight burying. Ankle injuries might be crutch advisable versus hobbling on a cane. Bad limping habits develop that way.

3 Likes

From the Mayo Clinic, your cane should be held in the hand opposite your weak or painful leg.
From the Cleveland Clinic, use your cane in the hand OPPOSITE your injured leg.
Health Line, hold your cane in the hand that’s opposite the side that needs support.

5 Likes

What if it’s a right handed cane?:grin:

5 Likes

What if it’s a short barreled cane (SBC)?

7 Likes

A cane gun??? What a novel idea, I like it. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Short barreled canes must be registered with the AMA, and you will be sent a $200 doctor bill

6 Likes

Interesting post. If we wear a shoulder bag, which has only one strap, not two, not a traditional book nag, which side shoulder should we carry it on? On our non dominant side? If we are right handed, carry it over our left shoulder? If left handed, carry it on our right?

I had read somewhere to do that in case if needing to have your dominant side free of any restraint, have its full strength and full range of motion, so that a one sided bag does not slow it down or interfere with reach or strength.

Buyer, beware, some bags are built/sown to be worn on one side only and do not give you a chance to wear it the way you want to, while other bags are comfortable on either side. Test it out or read the fine print description carefully.

2 Likes

Thank you Dave!!! I reread my post at saw my error. Fixed it.

2 Likes

Lol, roger that!

4 Likes