January 2023 CCM, Page 93 Cane Usage Issue

I am quickly approaching the need for a cane so all this information is useful. Thanks guys

4 Likes

Remington used to sell them.

11 Likes

Talk about concealed carry in the open Larry! Lol

5 Likes

In the last 2 years, I had both knees and one hip replaced. Among the things I learned was to do whatever works for you to get up and moving…

8 Likes

Literally a bang stick. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

They are not legal in CA, of course. I think even the federales might have some rule against them. However, real bang sticks for use against fish that like to snack on people are legal and still available.

2 Likes

I’ll bet they’re worth a pretty penny. Just don’t let your kids play with your cane…

1 Like

Cane guns are a real thing. They fall under the “All Other Weapons (AOW)” and are NFA items.

2 Likes

What about Cane swords?

2 Likes

They are real, but are not NFA items.

2 Likes

I have this one, very nice. The price went up $70.00 since I got mine and it’s out of stock.
In WI. I cannot find where it’s legal or illegal.

• 23" Damascus steel blade

• 36-42 HRC; folded 828 times

• Leather wrapped handle

• Hidden blade release mechanism

• 23" Damascus steel blade

• 36-42 HRC; folded 828 times

• Leather wrapped handle

• Hidden blade release mechanism

1 Like

“Fashionable Canes” has a great assortment of sword and other “tactical” canes, including stun canes and good old-fashioned Shillelagh’s. https://fashionablecanes.com

2 Likes

You are correct. If you need a cane I would want one you could take anywhere even on an airplane. That said I just ordered a 1 in round hickory cane. Not only legal anywhere that must be recognized as that by law enforcement.

2 Likes

I found no reference to swords in the WI code. There is a reference to knives, wherein it states they are not considered dangerous weapons.

941.23 Carrying concealed weapon.

(1) In this section:

(ag) “Carry" has the meaning given in s. 175.60 (1) (ag).

(ap) Notwithstanding s. 939.22 (10), “dangerous weapon" does not include a knife.

2 Likes

Thank you, Sir :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like

Because the back issues may be incorporating this into my EDC over the next few weeks. Going to have to get some serious thought on how to integrate. Only difference between this one and the one I ordered is that the grip texture does not exist at the bottom of the cane. It is 1 in round hickory stock.

2 Likes

Some are legal to own but cannot be openly carried, due to the fact that their construction makes their blade automatically concealed; this category includes sword-canes and disguised knives such as belt-buckle blades. From knife laws wisc

3 Likes

Can’t address the issue in WI. but in CA sword canes are strictly verboten! So are knives concealed in your belt buckle, knives disguised as hair combs, knives disguised as lipstick, throwing stars and all other “ninja” weapons are felonies to possess. If the cops have cause to get a search warrant for your abode and they turn up throwing stars or num-chucks, those are additional felony charges in addition for whatever reason the cops are searching your house. Apparently the CA legislature has a real thing about ninja weapons. Possession of a shoji-zoe is a felony in CA. A What? you may ask. Yeah, I thought I was familiar with Japanese weaponry but that was a new one I had to look up. I will let you look it up. There is an exception by the CA Supremes. In their wisdom if you claim an agricultural use for your shoji-zoe, you are in possession of a get-out-of-jail-free card. OTOH, you can walk around town with a sheathed Nipponto in your belt and you are legal. There is a bum who wanders around town with about a 12-inch bowie belted to his lower leg. I am sure he has had numerous discussions with the officers in town but he is legal. It is not concealed. It is clearly visible on his leg. He is careful in the winter to have it on the outside of his trousers. Everything I have said only applies in CA. Your state IS different and in some states even different cities have different regs, so don’t read the state penal code and think you are home free. You fine burghers in your town may have their own ideas about what kind of steel you can carry. The Knife Assoc of America — that is not their official name, but it is close enough so that you should be able to find them, has an extensive listing of the knife laws in various states. That is a good place to start your search for what is legal in your state and city.

2 Likes

By the way, I have an agricultural use for my shoji-zoe. I use it to probe gopher runs to determine where to lay the traps I use to ensnare errant gophers eating up my garden. So I have my get-out-of-jail-free card. Thank you, CA Supremes.

It always pays to check the legal references listed below each penal code section. If I had just read the penal code I wouldn’t know about the g-oo-j-f card. Maybe I will just abbreviate that the g-o-o-f card in the future.

2 Likes

Much easier to state what’s legal in California. I truly wish you well. Such a beautiful state ruined by the woke. Take care

3 Likes