It's the little things

Lately I’ve noticed things like I haven’t in a long time. My friend’s son bought his first truck. It lost oil pressure on the highway, so he picked it up for $100. I was asked to help show him how to pull the motor and transmission, as I’m also going to go through the trans. I went out to his house yesterday to advise (I love working on cars. I worked for several dealerships doing engines and drivability, but I was unable to keep doing it for medical reasons.). It was truly enjoyable to have the opportunity to teach someone something I love. It’s been a long time since I’ve been able to experience that, and I’ll always remember it. Then, today I was sitting outside on the porch, and it started raining…I forgot how much I like the sound of rain. Lately, it seems like I have been experiencing things like this a lot. Has anyone else had what I call “oh, yeah!” moments recently?

13 Likes

Listening to the rain is very relaxing. There’s video on youtube I listen to sometimes to fall asleep if I can’t get the real thing.

One of my favorite things to do to disconnect is explore the woods. When I am out exploring, I like to find a nice quite spot to just sit and listen. Listen to the wind blowing through the trees, the birds singing, bugs chirping and if there’s a creek nearby…all the better. Not tactically sound at all, but more often than not…I’ll probably fall asleep under a tree. It’s great for the mind and soul.

My oh, yeah moment was today. Hopped in my rig this morning and Christmas music was playing on the radio. At first I was dismissive of it, then I was “ohhh yeah, tell me more of this Holly Jolly Christmas, Mr. Ives.”. I think people need to be listening to a bit more Christmas music nowadays…

8 Likes

That and a little “America the Beautiful” by Ray Charles!

6 Likes

That seems to be the best feeling in men’s life.
I felt the same teaching my sons playing soccer, taking care of house and recently taking care of themselves and Family (introducing to firearms).
Few years later I enjoyed their wins. And now I know they are prepared for their own lives.

To be honest, I hate the rain. Even I know it’s needed for living - rain always scarred me.
I love the sun, sound of the forest and listen to song birds. I lived in big cities in Europe and always missed silence… now I fully enjoy what I was wishing for :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

It was nice to teach him a craft, but at the same time it was hard for me not to do anything… not because I’m faster or anything, but because it’s something I really enjoy doing lol. I like the sound of the rain hitting the tin roof of the porch, the tree frogs croaking, and the crickets chirping. It’s almost like all the critters come out to enjoy the rain. Then after the rain stops, the lighting bugs come out and I got a personal little light show. Took me back to yesteryear, so to speak.

5 Likes

So we have one great conclusion: no matter what the weather is - somebody is very happy :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

This cuts into a broader topic, like the things we take for granted and you never know what you’re missing until it’s gone!
If you want to learn something about yourself, teach!
The very nature and beauty of our sacred nation is slipping through our fingers. Including the smell of rain, sand in the cracks, grandkids, a simple handshake when conducting business! Oh yeah, those moments are washing over me daily. 100 days, we either wake up from the nightmare or we’ll be missing a lot more than just the smell of freshly cut grass, or the silence the steadiness the trigger break in prone position at 200 yards!
Hope this didn’t get to deep?

5 Likes

Like when you are sitting and relaxing at home, perhaps with a book or some music. Then you hear a knock at the door and a voice on the other side says “UPS delivery”! You quickly open the door with a childish grin knowing what it is. And there it is… a case of 9mm in a brown box. I think heaven is like that.

10 Likes

Hahaha that does it too!

2 Likes

Good thing it wasn’t a FEDEX delivery. In a few weeks we may not be able to find .22 anymore!
Would it tip off the feds if I ordered a pallet of .45acp?
There has to be a bulk discount.:smiley: that delivery I would open the door, I’ll be able to see it coming! That would be heaven. Along with a pallet of .223, add a few virgins and some call it paradise.

3 Likes

My best omg I’ve missed this, was teaching my daughter and her 2 room mates to shoot. Just seeing that pride come right out to be seen.

6 Likes

I call it serenity which is simply living in the moment. Getting harder to accomplish lately but thanks for the reminder

4 Likes

We have followed your journey with your daughter, etc. that is awesome!!!

Sir…yesterday we had the same experience, fedex delivered some ammo that we bought way back in march or april, never thought it would arrive. Yup, another #### rounds!!! yes, in your words we are a whoreder! LOL

3 Likes

I love my morning coffee on our deck and listening to the birds, and hearing the owls at night. We have several pheasants that we hear. So peaceful in the morning! last night at dinner we have an awesome sunset…

I love the smell of old time diesel engine exhaust, and when jet fuel burns…this is getting deep…

5 Likes

When the browns deliver ammo, the brown driver is a fine young man, he always knows the heavy packages and kids with us about the contents!!!

3 Likes

Jerzy…you can dry fire in the rain, and keep up your dry fire badge!!!

3 Likes

This is an obstacle I sometimes get hung up on. I enjoy it, but just by virtue of experience, I typically know the little tricks that make the job faster if I do it myself. I have to take a breath and step back, and allow the project to proceed on it’s own even if it means taking longer than usual. I sometimes forget I was at that same place before the experience was gained.

3 Likes

Every morning out on the front porch with the coffee, and whoever walks by gets a good morning and sometimes a chat.
That’s as far as the little things.
What I DO miss is going to the grocery store and not have to worry about whats on the list,
taking some time and just wandering, in other words figuring out what to bake, boil or grill by what catches my eye.

3 Likes

:+1: :+1:

1 Like