Is your target helping you train?

Kevin gives us a quick anatomy lesson that can help you adjust your target practice to improve your self-defense training:

The USCCA Targets show a similar area to what Kevin is talking about:

In Defensive Shooting Fundamentals, we aim for the high center chest which is below the collar bone, above the diaphragm and the approximate width of your head. Here’s what those special targets look like with your own thread visualization imposed on the target:

Where do you focus your training shots?

1 Like

I’m using B27 targets. My focus is upper 9. Once I have a big hole there I’m practicing accuracy shooting all the numbers off and finally center X

2 Likes

Yup. I’m aiming for that area right around the xyphoid process. That puts diaphragm, lungs, heart, and so fat tissue in front of the spinal column as the hit zone. Squishy soft parts don’t like hollow points.

2 Likes

This is the target we were using in an advanced handgun class last week. It’s better than the standard target but the green in the body should probably be more like Kevin says, smaller and up slightly on the left. These were shot close range (3-5 yards) in rapid fire magazine dumps with combat reloads.

3 Likes

Yes Mike @MikeBKY That is an excellent target. As a retired funeral director specifically a retired Illinois licensed embalmer if a person was trying to kill me this target is wonderful. If you shoot the upper right (usually predominant thigh) at about 1 1/2” down and just slightly inward to the crotch area there lies the Femoral Artery. It’s a big and juicy Artery. Well anyway if you wanted to drop blood pressure to zero over zero 0/0 right there is your goal. Not advocating this but that the place to bring someone down in a huge hurry.

2 Likes

@Robert8 that is one of the things I have been taught over the years, that in extreme close encounters where hip shots are the preferred, shots to the upper leg, the pelvis and lower abdomen are very effective at neutralizing a threat.

2 Likes

Well that the place they told you properly . I didn’t know that was taught until just now. I did not want to say much outside of our little group. That artery is one as an embalmer I used very often to embalm difficult bodies.

3 Likes