Point shooting

Do you practice point shooting?

2 Likes

Definitely. Just like all good things, practice is required. Payback is worth the effort.

5 Likes

Yes. I hit the range weekly and run through about 50 rounds of 9mm through my carry gun sharpening various skills - 5x5x5 drill, distance accuracy, strong hand/weak hand, multiple targets and finish off shooting another 40-50 rounds of .22 point shooting my Walther PPK/S at 5 yards one-handed. It’s harder than it seems it should be, but I try to get all rounds in a 5" circle.

Usually I manage better than half in the circle but all on 8.5x11 paper. When I can get them all in the circle I’ll move it out to seven yards.

Definitely need improvement.

6 Likes

Absolutely. At close ranges, it’s the most useful. Regardless of sight alignment, the bullets are going where the barrel is pointing.

5 Likes

Agreed, what looks simple and easy, does take effort.

3 Likes

Yes, I do.

I’m hoping everybody does it, and perhaps even not knowing they do this.
Quick draw stroke usually works best with point shooting.

3 Likes

Indirectly.

By regularly practicing the draw and/or presentation, I’m burning that neural pathway/muscle memory for correct presentation to where I want to hit.

That’s pretty much exactly why defensive handgun shooting is often said to come down to two things, Front Sight, and Trigger Press.

Not sight picture or sight alignment (though you may need that depending on distance and target size), but front sight…that tells you where the barrel is pointing. And trigger press that doesn’t jerk it off that line. And you can see a good iron front sight in your peripheral below your line of sight while threat focused, IME

6 Likes

This all you need to know.

7 Likes

Easy to tell, hard to achieve… :wink:
The question is: WHY?

1 Like

Absolutely! :+1:

1 Like

The answer is

overconfident and undercondituined

3 Likes

Solution=rounds down range.

2 Likes

Are you sure you are not putting a protein coating in that pathway?

Neural pathways are surrounded by Myelin Sheathes which are made of fat and protein . The following was written by Dr. Colleen Doherty.

The Anatomy of the Myelin Sheath

By

Colleen Doherty, MD

Updated on January 06, 2020

Medically reviewed by

Diana Apetauerova, MD

The myelin sheath is the protective, fatty coating surrounding your nerve fibers, similar to the protective insulation around electrical wires. This coating enables the electrical impulses between nerve cells to travel back and forth rapidly.

Anatomy

Myelin is made of fat and protein and it’s wrapped in numerous layers around many of the nerves in the central nervous system (CNS), which includes your brain, spinal cord, and the optic (eye) nerves, as well as in the peripheral nervous system (PNS), which contains all the nerves outside of the CNS.

What you need to focus on is the basic grip and finger pull. Once you have great control then focus on the target and practice the same control as you have been. You cannot slack off just because you are not aiming. The disciplines you have learned to shoot accurate are the same one you use with point shooting!

4 Likes
2 Likes

Got to practice one handed close distance point shooting, maybe 3 to 6 yards, rapid fire, eyes on target, make sure ALL rounds are on TARGET. In a close THREAT ENCOUNTER there’s no time to iron sight alignment aim.

3 Likes

I get a private bay at my range which is set up for movement, cover & concealment with multiple targets. I do this once every two months. My other range trips are for staying sharp and hitting my targets. Then the last 30 minutes I just burn ammo doing rapid fire because it’s just so damn fun

3 Likes

As civilians, most threats we will defend ourselves against are taller than they are wide, i.e., they are more like silhouette targets than paper plates. Therefore, horizontal alignment is more critical than vertical alignment to ensure a hit to stop the threat.

The front sight gets us quickly aligned in the horizontal/left, right plane, and trigger control keeps us from missing left or right.

1 Like

Neural pathways are surrounded by Myelin Sheathes which are made of fat and protein . The following was written by Dr. Colleen Doherty.

The Anatomy of the Myelin Sheath

By

Colleen Doherty, MD

Updated on January 06, 2020

Medically reviewed by

Diana Apetauerova, MD

The myelin sheath is the protective, fatty coating surrounding your nerve fibers, similar to the protective insulation around electrical wires. This coating enables the electrical impulses between nerve cells to travel back and forth rapidly.

Anatomy

Myelin is made of fat and protein and it’s wrapped in numerous layers around many of the nerves in the central nervous system (CNS), which includes your brain, spinal cord, and the optic (eye) nerves, as well as in the peripheral nervous system (PNS), which contains all the nerves outside of the CNS.

1 Like

will-smith-suspicious

2 Likes