Is your Conceal Carry Permit Private or Public information?

Does anyone know if the Freedom of Information Act allows for anyone to learn if someone possesses a Conceal Carry Permit, along with their home address, and name? The attached blog eluded to that.

Blog:
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/concealed-carry-report-constitutional-carry-advances/

4 Likes

Very good (and concerning) question. Check the FOIA FAQ here:
https://www.foia.gov/faq.html

It seems to me private citizens’ information would be protected under one of the “nine exemptions which protect interests such as personal privacy, national security, and law enforcement.”

Some states do not allow public access to CCW information, at least according to the USCCA state laws pages; New Mexico is one, thank God.

4 Likes

I do believe that California and New York allow public access to concealed carry registry information through public records laws.

3 Likes

@Lu-Can :+1: That’s the only States at this time, hope our personal information doesn’t open up in other States. :+1: :us: :us: :us:

2 Likes

Kentucky law prohibits disclosure except to law enforcement per KRS 237.110(10).

The Department of Kentucky State Police shall maintain an automated listing of license holders and pertinent information, and this information shall be available upon request, at all times to all Kentucky, federal, and other states’ law enforcement agencies. A request for the entire list of licensees, or for all licensees in a geographic area, shall be denied. Only requests relating to a named licensee shall be honored or available to law enforcement agencies. Information on applications for licenses, names and addresses, or other identifying information relating to license holders shall be confidential and shall not be made available except to law enforcement agencies. No request for lists of local or statewide permit holders shall be made to any state or local law enforcement agency, peace officer, or other agency of government other than the Department of Kentucky State Police, and no state or local law enforcement agency, peace officer, or agency of government, other than the Department of Kentucky State Police, shall provide any information to any requester not entitled to it by law.

4 Likes

my KY friends just told me last week, they are now a constitutional carry state. no permit needed.

1 Like

That is correct since late June 2019.

1 Like

Virginia (at least for now) doesn’t allow this information to be public. I believe most states are this way, but you should check at the USCCA’s reciprocity map.

The relevant item is “PUBLIC ACCESS TO CONCEALED CARRY REGISTRY?”

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/

Back in 2012 a newspaper in NY published an interactive map of 2 counties in NY showing address of handgun permit holders. This was publicly available information, not sure if it is still that way in NY.

6 Likes

wow, they never included that. awesome. another reason KY rocks. too bad I can’t move but In is working towards this too. but we are always behind. just got sun beer sales 5 years ago. lol

2 Likes

@Harvey, thanks for linking that article in The Verge. What a moronic and politically motivated story for The Journal to have published.

I love the CT lawyer’s response of publishing the editor’s and other employees’ information, “Sauce for the Goose.” The comments in that story are a worthwhile read as well. I noted one that said this:

The left is not the left we once knew. It has been hijacked by special interest group with an agenda that is vague at best. Look behind the curtain, and even another curtain may be behind it.

And that was almost 9 years ago!

3 Likes

Thank you - everyone.

2 Likes

I am surprised no attempts to doxx and cancel ccw holders (also known in some circles as armed vigilantes) happened since. This information should be off limits to msm rags and “activists”.

1 Like

@Alces_Americanus

Tit for tat. With everyone’s info out there, who will be targeted by criminals,

doxxed ccw permit holders

or unarmed pseudo-journalists?

I am not sure that anti-2A stance equals unarmed, and given how these guys respect rest of the Law, it could be illegal guns too.

My brother lives in PA but goes into or through Delaware pretty often. He looked into getting a carry permit in DE since they don’t reciprocate PA permits. Part of the process in DE is publishing notices in local newspapers of your intent to acquire a permit. It’s bad enough when it can be obtained via something like a FOIA request, but that’s just insane.

2 Likes

As one of the commenters in the article @Harvey posted said, they’re trying to shame people. There’s another word for what Delaware state government is doing, it’s doxxing.

2 Likes

Although I do support having rules, and “privilege” over “right to”, I do think publishing in a news paper about FOID or CCL Permit is way over the top and I would not support that; I need to see it to believe It; WTF. Kind like my privacy. Guess I’m lucky that in my region, it’s strict but not that bad. I could not believe the requiring five reference letters, until I read it (copied below); Don’t like that rule either. Anyone live in Delaware, please share your feedback; Wow. Can your bruh apply for FL, or AZ, or UT and have reciprocity in DE? That puzzles me beyond words, but “bless DE for at least that gift”.

1 Like