Is this a viable option for Gun Free Zones?

Does anyone have any experience of insight on https://byrna.com/? A CCL is not required for it and can be used in GF zones. Could be a possible option for traveling and visiting states not covered by your CCLas well as protection in a GF zone.
I am not asking if this could be a full replacement but a back up for those times you cannot carry your weapon.

Thoughts?

1 Like

Check all of your local laws !!!

1 Like

Of course. Viable option?

1 Like

Byrna Non lethal Launcher
Opinions on BYRNA Pepper Ball Pistol
Byrna Self Defense Weapon
The biggest complaint is it looks to much like a gun.

2 Likes

That could be a good thing if you ever need to pull it out and use it.

2 Likes

Yaaaa… that’s a big if, my wife bought the green one and I painted an orange band on the end of the barrel.

2 Likes

You seem to have a negative perspective on it. I am not advocating for it to replace my firearm but feel the fill a purpose as i ale ready stated. Another purpose is protection for someone who doesn’t want the liability of carrying a firearm or doesn’t have a CCL.

2 Likes

Last comment, I would buy the orange one. :+1:

2 Likes

If you are caught carrying or using that in a gun free zone you are likely going to get a lot of unwanted attention! Having something that clearly does not look like a gun would be better in most situations you might encounter in GF zones I would think.

I also am not sure just how affective these would be at stopping a determined armed criminal before they can inflict serious harm on you or others. I would probably rather put all my effort into trying to run away.

3 Likes

I can almost guarantee you that if a LEO or even a civilian sees that on you in a GFZ, it won’t end well

2 Likes

Escape should be the first choice regardless. As far as being seen in a GF zone, it’s conceal carry, not open carry.
Is this as effective as a real gun? Nope. Is it better than nothing at all? Yep.
Can it fill a need when a firearm cannot be carried? Like I said, something is better than nothing.
Do I own one? Nope. But, my 83 yo dad does. He isn’t comfortable carrying a firearm but wants protection. In my opinion, this is a good option for him. I recently went across country with our camper and visited some states my CCL is not valid in and could not carry. It was not a good feeling. While there, I felt very naked and thought about how having a Byrna would have been an alternative over nothing. By the sounds of those that posted i should just stick with nothing.

2 Likes

If you had to use it how would you determine where the dust/spray would end up after hitting your target. How many others would be affected? Figuring this would be used mostly indoors perhaps.

3 Likes

I carry pepper gel and a pocket knife wether or not I am carrying a firearm. Or a tactical pen where knives aren’t allowed. There are many options other than nothing. I’m just not sure how effective these pepper pellets would be in many situations and I think pulling out something that looks like a gun in a gun free zone could make me look like the bad guy to other responders.

3 Likes

It looks like a (real) pistol to the village liberals, so expect to be “swatted” anyway. A Kubaton keyring may be a viable option. Just my 2 cents worth, and over priced at that!

1 Like