Improving point shooting skills

It is focus on the target and practicing, good stance, good grip, and good finger control just like when you practice aimed shots but just pointing at the target. Good basic skills then add practice, practice, practice.

4 Likes

I think I am focused on my muzzle and my hand that isn’t holding the gun when point shooting or anything less than seven yards but take more time for head shots

1 Like

How do you aim throwing a baseball? When using a traditional bow without sights, how do you aim? Your brain, once it understands what you are trying to do, (training) it will do all the complicated physics, mathmatics, planet rotational spin (okay maybe not that) quicker than you think possible.
Ed McGivern said he also trained by simply pointing at various things with his index finger and used the same to simulate a trigger press and then when actually shooting, applied the same technique. He didn’t use the sights, he didn’t track the muzzle. Same with the baseball and arrow, your brain does it all for you once you train it.
But, this is no way is recommending a replacement for accepted shooting fundamentals.
I was told that the first 1/8th to 1/10th of a second what you are pointing at, your brain has done the math and you’re dead on- that jives with my own experience after your brain has learned what you are teaching it. Also the longer I tried to ‘force’ the instinctive shot the less accurate I became. Which means, now use fundamental shootings skills if it takes that long.
It takes practice, start at 3 yards, become proficient, move back a little, repeat.
I would not recommend head shots - that’s more intensive, train center mass. Align your body frontal on to the threat, in a semi crouch position.
There are several references out there, read them, understand them, dry fire practice.
In closing… that 1/8 - 1/10th of a second is precious little time to positive identify a threat, especially under the conditions likely used. Sure as crap it’ll be a loved one, a kid, an innocent bystander etc. If you have ever done shooting under stress pressure at a dynamic range (versus static range) or under receiving direct fire, you’ll realize how difficult threat identification is, and by that time, the ‘point shooting’, ‘instinctive shooting’ threshold has likely passed.
It’s a skill that can be learned just like non-dominate hand shooting et al.
Your primary weapon is the four inches of gray matter between your ears, everything else is for expediency and distance!

5 Likes

For what it’s worth, my accuracy with a traditional bow or a baseball is downright craptacular compared to my accuracy using a sighting system on a firearm

If I could use sights to aim the baseball I would lol

4 Likes

I think one has to start with what works for them and then advance to doing it faster. I don’t think everyone’s brain works the same.

2 Likes

Agree. We do it in shotgun sports. You point a shotgun not aim it. Practice until the subconscious mind understand what you want to do. If you think about a fast crosser or “check” lead, you’ll miss it behind.

6 Likes

I have on demand lasers on all my weapons rifles and pistols and i call the lasers on demand since all my pistils have on the grip a button where the middle finger fits on the grip and is is basically momentary on and off,nit like some lasers where you have to push a button to turn on and then push to turn off. On my rifles the lasers are on the hand guard on the right and the button is on the left side were my left thumb rests just under the button

2 Likes

@Layton I will keep that in mind once I start shopping for a new gun with a laser. It will have to be part of training so it is automatic (for me). As opposed to one more thing I have to remember in a crisis.

1 Like

First think what kind of shooter are you.
If you shoot defensively fast (as the point shooting is a fast method), be sure you will be able to activate the laser, focus on the dot being on target and then press the trigger.
If you are 1 - 2 seconds delayed… it’s not a point shooting anymore and whole idea of being fast is ruined.

2 Likes

@Jerzees
Agreed. I’m still and always will be in the learning process. I like to end my time at the range with point and shoot just because. It’s relaxing and gives me a more real feel of what an interaction might be like. I need to be able to shoot without a laser or optic. And still be accurate.
Thanks!!

3 Likes

Just for the hell of it, next time you go to the range set up a target at three yards or ten feet, whichever. Then from the center of your chest to the target visualize a line without aiming but just pointing, shoot at the target. The goal is to hit the target and that is all. Let me know how you did.

6 Likes

@Todd30
The range has a minimum of 5 yards for target placement. But I will try it visualizing a line. Good idea. I will let you know. I tend to shoot low left and it’s very frustrating. But I do stop the threat.

I’m on a waitlist for a membership at a range. Should open up in Feb! Idk what their limits are for targets. The public ranges have lots of rules. The one I applied to has outdoor shooting as well.

Thanks!

4 Likes

The trigger needs to travel straight back to the rear for a clean shot on your target. Make sure your finger is not overextended onto the trigger. And do not move any other finger than your trigger finger.
or
are you anticipating that big scary bang?

4 Likes

@Todd30 I dont think I move any other finger. I will practicing the smooth pull with the pad of my index finger. I believe I have a good grip. and yes, there is anticipatory anxiety about the recoil and bang at first, especially if I haven’t practiced in awhile. But I get over it. Maybe I think too much! The point and shoot, I am more ‘relaxed’ in the sense I give myself permission to not over think and to take the shot. Still with good stance and grip. And some interesting silent self talk! I will let you know.

2 Likes

In the shotgun sports, how wide is the diameter of your effective pattern at the distances you engage, though, and how does it compare to something less than 0.5" in diameter? What does a miss cost you in collateral in the sport vs on the street? Food for thought.

1 Like

Well, there you go!
In a self-defense situation you will not be thinking of the bangy noise,

I usually like to test myself with a cold start at shooting five rounds into a target at twenty feet. From a low and ready just pull up and shoot do not take time to aim carefully just aim at the target and shoot five rounds, I use this at the beginning cold shooting then it is the last thing I do before I leave the range.
Every time I go to the range I see if I am improving and by how much,

I hope this helps some!

3 Likes

Give it the old 1 - 2: 1. Touch: bring your finger down from the slide and touch the trigger lightly, ensuring the center of the pad of your finger is centered on the trigger (vertically and horizontally). Pause ever so briefly then: 2. Press: Flexing only on the center finger joint press the trigger evenly to the rear (this prevents “contracture”). Don’t try to ride the break. After firing return your finger to the slide. Repeat as desired.

3 Likes