I was blinded by the flash!

I thought I’d open a discussion on low light shooting and the experiences most folks have when shooting their “training” ammo in low light versus their selected carry ammunition.

I’ve shot my .357 SIG training ammunition (Remington green & white) in low light and the flash was bright enough to, IMHO, delay requisition. However, I plan to try other different manufacturers of carry ammunition and see if the flash is reduced.

And, for those of you who somehow found my post worth reading to the end, that’s my .454 Casul Ruger Super Redhawk.

4 Likes

I’ll get the marshmallows. :wink:

8 Likes

I did a low light class recently and I use a high lumen count on my HD gun that helped alot but when he didn’t allow us to use lights at one point. There was a noticeable difference between the ammo types.

4 Likes

This is where it can be beneficial to use quality factory defense ammo. A lot of them advertise low flash powders and some are specifically designed for shorter barrel carry guns to further help with flash.

4 Likes

I haven’t fired a 357 Sig. However, I frequently shoot Rem UMC 125gr SJHP through my 66-8 with a 2 3/4" barrel. In 357 magnum, I notice a little more flash with the UMC than the more expensive options, i.e. Barnes XPD and Horn Crit Defense (and I think Sig V-Crown)… again, in 357 magnum (125gr). I assume that the more expensive options might have a lower flash powder. IIRC, the 158gr Magtech and Rem HTP had less flash than the previously mentioned 125gr loads, but I’m assuming the weight of the bullet may contribute a little to that.

2 Likes

Haha!
With that kinda lead up or finish, you should write for the NYTImes or Washington Post!
I feel for it! Well played! :rofl::+1:

2 Likes

I really want to do a low light shoot with my full size 1911 and my Officers model AND my LAR Grizzly in 45 WinMag to show the muzzle blast from each. Hoping for November when a bud of mine is coming down for a week of woods time. That said my 3.5" Officers model with full house 45 rounds is a bit bright.

The key in low light shooting is to have a point of reference or muscle memory for low light shooting as you will be blinded from muzzle flash. Another important point is to have a pre determined point of movement after that big flash bulb goes off. Not that you don’t have anything else to do if you have to draw and shoot. The trick is to NOT look at the threat (use your peripheral vision) and use your proprioception to make the next shot if needed. The other option is to use the muzzle flash to your advantage to light the space but that requires firing with out a target. I have had a situation that occurred to me in a combat zone where I was blinded by muzzle flash (they missed) and used my muzzle flash to locate a second target in the darkness. Eyeballs are pretty amazing things even if you can’t see.

Cheers,

Craig6

Is there actually a firearm in there somewhere in that conflagration? :wink:

When I fire my AR in daylight, I don’t notice any flash. I actually thought that my muzzle device must be really good at dispersing it.

Then I fired it in an indoor range, and by golly, it sure seemed to light the place up, yes sir. I never really knew the difference until that moment.

1 Like

Yes @Robert452…my arm is on fire. Both, actually!

I’m reading your mention of my “conflagration” and it prompts me to consider starting another topic; an oft little-regarded difference between retention shooting of auto-loaders versus revolvers.

Also, thanks to you, page 150 of my Webster’s has seen daylight for the first time. Ahhhh - I love, love, love the smell of an old book!

2 Likes

@FarmerFrank I glad I was able to assist in Noah seeing a little daylight. :slight_smile: I think If that had been a retention shooting scenario, the attacker would have been a smoking pile of ashes before the bullet reached him. :smile:

3 Likes