I understand Tolerance and Individuality but

Clearly this guy has ill intent in his heart and mind. But we let him out into civilization to prove it before we lock him up.

8 Likes

And they gave him 25 to life. Why not just commit him to life. the last thing we need is someone who gets out after good behavior with his mind space.

8 Likes

I’ve long been on the side of second-chances, and the need to rehabilitate inmates into society. But lately, the never-ending stream of prior offenders who are released and commit attrocities has me leaning back towards the side of locking them up forever.

I can’t say I’m 100% there, but I do think there are certain crimes that cannot be repaid. And rather than giving them 50 years of prison life, we should just declare their game over.

9 Likes

My great grandparents were brutally murdered by the same perp. The killer keeps coming up for parole. He needs to die in prison.

9 Likes

I feel you. I too have family who perished similarly. May their memory and love live within us forever. :heart:

4 Likes

Kamala’s Freedom Foundation hard at work, most likely.

6 Likes

The problem, in my estimation and in many cases, is that we don’t “rehabilitate” or give these folks any real second chances; we just let them out to fend for themselves. Checking in with a parole officer once a month or once a week is not helping them, it’screally just for tracking them. They need real jobs with real salaries to be able to afford a proper living. Unfortunately not many employers out there are willing, or have the resources, to hire and train convicted felons so they’re left without purpose, and more importantly, without the resources to survive, let alone thrive.

7 Likes

This is one of the issues with my great grandparents’ murderer. He was 19 when he killed them. He’s in his late 70’s or early 80’s now. If they let him out, he has nowhere to go. He’d have to go to a homeless shelter or something and we know how full those are. No one is going to employ him at this point. I have mixed thoughts on the death penalty, but in some way it would have been more humane. Plus a double murder shotgun blast to the back of the head kinda deserves the death penalty IMHO.

9 Likes

Life should mean what duration they have left here. Or maybe life at hard labor
:us:

2 Likes

“When a sentence against a crime isn’t carried out quickly, people are encouraged to commit crimes.”

Ecclesiastes 8:11

7 Likes