I Don’t Love Guns | USCCA

While it’s never been said directly to me personally, I know that I have been lumped into a vast group of gun owners who are often told that we love our guns more than we love safety. According to many people, devotion to the Second Amendment has replaced personal responsibility. Numerous individuals have actually asked the question, “When will gun owners love their children more than they love their guns?” It’s been quoted time and time again — by people like rapper Eminem and California Rep. Eric Swalwell — that gun owners supposedly value firearms over human life.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/i-dont-love-guns/
5 Likes

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on your gun ownership experience. I am a very new gun owner and as a mature woman I can agree with your opinion that gun ownership is a privilage and responsibility. I also look upon the gun as a powerful tool, and accept the responsibility to learn, train and use it safely for the protection of myself and my family. I don’t love my gun either, but appreciate it’s usefulness.

6 Likes

Welcome to the Family @Kathy9. I agree with your thoughts and thank you for sharing. I have heard those things a lot. People saying you love your guns to much and so forth. I just laugh and go sure you believe whatever you want lol

3 Likes

The word “love”, like the word “friend”, is too often misused or over-used in an effort to convey a point or express a feeling. How many real, true friends do you have? If you have 2, you are extremely fortunate. Mrs. Alcazar is a wonderful writer and conveys the difference perfectly. You (should) “love” your children, your spouse, and your family. While I REALLY LIKE all of my firearms, to quote Mrs. Alcazar, …“that doesn’t come anywhere close to love … not for an inanimate object.” People like peanut M&M’s or whatever Smallswell should realize that perhaps we gun owners have firearms or “guns” (another way over and mis-used word, IMO) because we love our children - and are willing to use them to protect our family and children as any parent worth the dust from which they came should. I am not the eloquent writer Mrs. Alcazar is and do not nearly qualify to edit her article but I would like to respectfully add what I feel was omitted from the last line; “… and my right, my ability, and my OBLIGATION to protect them.” I value human life and the last thing I want is to be put in a situation where I have to take one. However, if that happens, my pistol along with my commitment to saving the lives of my family will give us the best chance we can get to continue living ours. I hate it for the person intent on taking it because when it comes to me or them - screw them. Shoulda picked someone else. I will not provoke or initiate violence on anyone and I will not sit idly by and allow it to be initiated on me to become just another victim who wouldn’t fight back. If I am to be categorized as written above then so be it. Our country’s “raging epidemic of violence” brings me no joy. The only joy or goodness that I see resulting from it is when an initiator of said violence receives his just comeuppance and thereby becomes no longer part of the problem. Does that make me “prefer fear, death, suicide, brutality, and hostility over peace, life, health, kindness, and solidarity?” No because I am not the one causing the epidemic of violence. I have tools to protect my family and home. If we lived in a world where we none had to worry about violence or evil knocking at our door then maybe we wouldn’t need firearms to help protect us. Until that time comes, I will use whatever I have available to me to ensure the safety and well-being of myself and family. Right this minute, it’s Colt, Walther, Smith & Wesson, and Beretta to name a few.

2 Likes

I once wrote a 10 page, single-spaced epic love poem to my Gerber, fixed blade, double edge knife. I wrote it in the style of the best Viking sagas.

I cannot do the same for my guns. I don’t feel that any human language can even come close to capturing my feelings on the matter.

Please endulge my humor that contributes nothing to the discussion.

To any future or present prosecutors: I am joking

Or am I?

LOL!

3 Likes

Love my guns? No, but as has been discussed in another thread I am attached to them. I am also attached to my mower, and my truck. They are all tools that I have a fair amount of time & money invested. I’ve named my truck (peer pressure), but not my guns.

I would give it all up for my fiance, son, her children, and grandkids. They are things, but my family is everthing

7 Likes

A Quote from the Two Towers by J R R Tolkien: But I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

8 Likes

@Mlman --Agree 100%. Anything can become an obsession to the exclusion of career and family. Be it fishing, antique cars, hunting, amateur radio, wood-working, pick your poison. Even if you have guns only for self-defense, they can still be fascinating – but IMO that’s a good thing.

For me as an engineer there is the mechanical and craftsmanship aspect of guns that is interesting as well, not that I’m a gunsmith by any means. So I read a lot about them, try to save a little to buy the next one, and even enjoy stripping them down and cleaning them. But I cannot say I love them. Family, friends, and my dog have them beat.

2 Likes

Love is an overused word. As an engineer also, I have empathy and respect for any machinery that serves me well. Firearms fall into that category, no more no less.

1 Like

Yes, when I see something I haven’t seen before I’m all:
spock fascinating
Only an engineer can truly appreciate the beauty of a well designed item.

3 Likes

I love my guns :joy::rofl:.

I think the phrase “Love my guns more than my safety” is a sassy response to the push to take away peoples guns. I think the phrase is stupid, but it comes from the idea of, “I want my guns over your concern for my safety”.

It is well known their are people that want guns taken away for our safety and theirs… ironically putting everyone in more danger.

All gun owners I know take the safety rules seriously and take gun safety seriously. Safety in the Gun community has become a priority. Responsible gun owners know we love our guns, not only cause we like them, but because our loved ones are safer with us having theme. I’ll take my safety (owning a gun) over your safety (me handing it over).

1 Like
  • “When will gun owners love their children more than they love their guns?” It’s been quoted time and time again*

Such statements are false narratives, and part of the leftist methodology of attacking people and ideas to attempt to denigrate them, to disparage them, to alter and distort the argument or discussion, to create a hostile environment and a defensive stance… .the same as when the left cries out… racist or bigot, just to attempt to claim some moral high ground they fail to ever take, and to attempt to silence opposing voices.

They could be countered with, ‘you own a car and drive your car, many children are killed by automobiles, when will you love your kids more than your car… . get rid of your car’

When they create a false narrative, and play political games, invoking Marxist tactics, tactics used by our own government … known as ‘Color Revolution’, which has been used in Ukraine and Belarus and other locations… we must stand fast with FACTS.

3 Likes

Agreed! I would add that media are the driving force behind false narratives. The number of lives saved by firearms is never calculated or considered. If you applied this logic to hospitals they would all be closed.

3 Likes