How to respond to an armed robber

You are standing at your car and you watch a suspicious vehicle pull up to you. An armed passenger jumps out and attempts to rob you at gunpoint. Do you:
A: draw your firearm and attempt to eliminate the threat or do you:
B: let the armed robber rob you and you become a good witness?

1 Like

:thinking:
We are learnt to self defense and protect… I go with A

I will never try my luck to see if I’ll be a good witness or dead one… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

You will never be able to draw your own weapon fast enough if you already have a gun pointed at you. Be a good witness.

4 Likes

This is the moment our situational awareness comes in place.

Once you

your hand should be on the grip.

Then when

he should be seeing your muzzle .

I know this is only hypothetical scenario, but we should be considering winning the fight not loosing.

7 Likes

I agree @Jerzees this scenario comes down to situational awareness and being prepared like you stated could literally mean life or death. I take my chances and go with option A as well.

5 Likes

I’ve already posted on other thread - Life cannot be valued.
That means - it has maximum value for us, no value for assailant.

I will never count on attacker’s mercy .

5 Likes

No easy answer. It doesn’t meet the “shark tank” analogy, but you can’t guarantee you’ll be let free if you comply. You have limited motion inside a vehicle, and you can’t accelerate faster than a bullet.

There are drills to take a pistol or rifle from an armed assailant. The point of the drill is partially to teach muscle memory, but it’s at least as much about learning the odds. Can you redirect the barrel in a safe direction before the trigger is squeezed? No one can answer that question, you have to gamble every time. But in this scenario, it’s a consideration. Is the assailant close enough that I can get a weak hand on the pistol?

3 Likes

If you guys like to read books, there is similar situation described in 1st chapter of “Lessons From Armed America” by Mark Walters. Not hypothetical scenario - real life.

If we are prepared - we win the fight, if we are not prepared and it’s too late to draw the firearm, then we can comply… and pray it was robbery only.
However - better take a chance than be dead for nothing.

3 Likes

This in my opinion is the wrong way to handle this situation…take a peek.

Very well said @Scott52​:+1::+1:I do however have to disagree with your point on avoiding these type of area’s. This can happen anywhere at any time even if you are in a well respected area…just my thoughts​:+1:

4 Likes

I like this:

So far I’ve been considering this as the first step to avoid troubles. I’m a fighter type but legal consequences in US system forced me change my habits. So avoid and deescalate. Do not be aggressor, but also do not be a victim.

Today’s World is different, unfortunately old times are gone and we have to adopt ourselves to these differences.
Keep the tool on you, be ready, don’t be a victim - be a winner.

3 Likes

BTW HAPPY FATHERS DAY to every dad.

5 Likes

Let’s remember to keep it happy in next year… :love_you_gesture:

2 Likes

Sorry! This is not the seventies, it used to be, “give me your money OR I will kill you!” Back then the choice was real, no guarantee, but a choice! From what I see in my old age is, “give me your money, your car, I’m gonna kill you anyhow!”
Simply put, compliance does not guarantee you not getting hurt, ask any rape victim.

4 Likes

Right, the only easy day was yesterday.

3 Likes

Having to choose from those 2 choices I pick letter B Because he already has the drop on me but he doesn’t know I’m armed. I would cooperate and can always catch him down the road somewhere and at least I’m still alive, try to get the car plates and after he leaves the scene call 911. It’s not worth it trying to draw on someone who’s already got the drop on you. Is property or cash worth your life. This scenario is not to detailed so that’s like Forrest Gump said” all I have to say about that.”

1 Like

I am pretty sure I can vote dozens if not thousands of people who were compliant while being robbed, and still died. He!!!0 I know 2 in the last month who died and were compliant

3 Likes

Thanks, you found my typo. I meant to say “you can’t guarantee you’ll be let free.”

2 Likes

Cool beans. I read these forums and read some really out there theories sometimes. I’m going down fighting personally. :t_rex:

4 Likes

Hopefully none of us here will ever have to find out if we’re faster than the person pointing a gun at us. In practice, when you’re wrong you get a welt or a bruise. I hear that real bullets hurt a little more…

3 Likes