How to get used to one in the chamber?

@Vince2 I had been shooting and around firearms since I was 5 and hunting all the years in between so carrying with one in the chamber was just an extension of those years. :us:

2 Likes

Rule #1 Always treat your gun as though it is loaded. As for safety with guns whether or not it is loaded treat it as such. With this you never point it at anything your not willing to destroy and keep your fingers off the trigger until your ready to shoot. If you have trained with this then you already are aware of the safety steps you need to use in every day carry. Practice, practice, practice. train and be safe.

4 Likes

Carry with 1 chambered. I had a mental issue with it at first. Carrying IWB with that barrel aimed at a vital spot while seated/driving made me paranoid. That, “if this went off right now” feeling is hard to overcome at first. However, a decent holster (kydex in my case) that covered the trigger and locks around the weapon eased that. Also, I use striker fire weapons, and the internal safety plunger that prevents the pin from accidentally activating is a mind easer. Get mastery of trigger finger control and remaining calm while drawing (practice daily if possible) and eventually you can’t see how you didn’t carry w/o 1 chambered.

3 Likes

Never heard of a accidental discharge form a DAO REVOLVER. A far as ( SAFTY )
goes > GET YOU SOME OF THAT. :us::us::us:

2 Likes

To each his own. PS : then why do you carry a revolver instead of a auto ? It’s my first choice because of safety and as close to 100% reliable as you can get. The only down side is less rounds for immediate use. If Im ever out gunned I won’t be going AHKUCOD alone. The right choice for me isn’t someone else’s first choice.
I’m not opposed to a 1911 locked & Cocked with the right holster either.
:us::us::us:

3 Likes

Just had a thought. Carrying a revolver is the same as carrying 5 rounds in the chamber.

3 Likes

Got that right and they can all be fired without a mechanical failure every time.
:us::us::us:

3 Likes

I hesitate to even mention this, especially in light of magazine capacity restriction efforts, but in New Mexico, by law we are limited to a single concealed firearm on our person at a time.
:frowning:

2 Likes

If you carry without a round in the chamber, What happens? If you put a round in the chamber would anything have changed? It is a phycological hurdle that you need to get around or over it!

2 Likes

Know your firearm, familiarity with your gun will accomplish that. Start off carrying a dummy round in the chamber. finger control is especially important to master. Having to practically do a manual of arms during a stressful situation is not at all helpful. So, practice, practice, practice!!

3 Likes

Better move to Tennessee, we can carry as many as we can.

2 Likes

Here’s why you need to get used to one in the chamber…

How much time did the officer have to rack his pistol?

1 Like

Thanks. Interesting, “some” dummy snap caps do have a metal background/rear casing; If one carries a brand new un-fired dummy round over several days, one can then inspect it – to prove that the casing was never struck or indented. Some snap caps have plastic bullet tips, but metal on the rear surface whereas others have a rubber piece where the primer would be.

1 Like

You are exactly right. I have been cc for a few months and 2 months with one in the tube. My Sig P365 only has the “finger” safety. So I as you stated remind myself the trigger is covered unless I uncover it. I also leave it in the carry holster all the time. I do unholster and do a press check (habit) before I AIWB at 2 o’clock. The gun is in the holster when put it on and when I take it off. But I still think about it when I get in the car!!! But I am feeling more comfortable.

4 Likes