How to Deal with a Confrontation With an Unarmed Assailant

Robert, Zimmerman should have been arrested, I feel bc he needs to learn not to carry when hes drinking.

1 Like

I think the two scenarios are very valid and quite possible. Sometimes the best situational awareness will not keep that rogue meteor from striking. The earlier suggestion of pepper spray would at least show you tried less lethal. just make sure you donā€™t rely on it to be wholly effective and give up your safe distance necessary to draw and double tap. A lot of the big names on YouTube suggest always having pepper spray on hand

2 Likes

For me in Scenario 1. I would be finding all means of escape since here in Ohio we have the duty to retreat. Since the guy in unarmed I am unsure if using lethal force would be justified.
Yes someone can still inflict severe bodily harm or death with their bare hands, especially if you have training in form of MMA.

I am trained in MMA what Iā€™d probably do since I have the duty to retreat, try all means to get away. Even if it comes down to if I have to get slightly physical. If I remember there is a use of force thing where you can use force greater then whats presented to you?

But your right, if it goes into a grappling match and the unarmed man gets your gun then you are reliable, either the man will use it against you and go out and use it against others.

But I would try to find all means. If the man is screaming ā€œI am gunna kill youā€ and he is showing he is an iminate that he is going to follow through on his threats, then maybe it will be justified to use force against?

Going to your firearm is your last resort.

For Scenario 2;
I think for this situation if I remember correctly in class that if you brandish your weapon in a fight that it can be argued you have become the aggressor in this situation. But since the guy is threatening he is going to kill you, try all means of escape.

Iā€™ve heard that keeping a secondary self defense item could be helpful in some situations. Like mace or stun gun. But I remember asking a question here is ā€œWhat happens if I carried a taser along side my firearm and use that then if needed my firearmā€ Someone replied who is an attorney that stated that the prosecutor can argue that you were faced with a iminate threat of severe bodily harm or death, why didnt you go to your firearm? If you felt your life was in danger, why didnt you go lethal?

But I think carrying mace/pepper spray might be helpful if someone unarmed is running at you, you can spray them and they are left blinded as you run away and call the police. Which would likely be my strat. in this case.

1 Like

TexasEskimo, I think you comment is rude and ignorant. Thomas 123 is discussing a very valid and important issue. Clearly something that we all need to understand better.

@John305, that would be true if the person issuing the questions was putting forth questions worthy of rational discussion. It would seem @TexasEskimo understood the true nature of the inquisitor, and therefore, provided the proper response.

3 Likes

Dave17, what do you believe he was trying to accomplish by his post? Based on the recent shootings around the country (non police related) I ha e the same basic questions and thought I might get a better understanding of the very same scenarios. Iā€™m sorry I made that comment if I am not understanding this correctly.

I do not want to assume his what his goal was/is. Read my posts from the beginning, as well as everyone elseā€™s. The first half-dozen or so responses are quite clear regarding the OPā€™s initial post. After that, he began a descent into ā€œwhat ifsā€. What his motivation was in that, is a question for him. Too often we see trolls and anti-rights people devolve into that line of questioning when they are not getting the response they want. We do not have a belief in vigilantism nor a wish to harm or kill anyone - the posts are quite clear on our beliefs on our Natural Right to keep and bear arms and our inalienable right to self-defense.

3 Likes

@Hwyhogg um what do ya mean by ā€œdouble tapā€ I apologize Iā€™ve been away but thatā€™s BIG responsibilities at hone.

1 Like

Itā€™s a method of firing two rapid shots to increase the likelihood of stopping the threat of imminent death. For most people it wonā€™t really be necessary to learn this, weā€™ll almost certainly keep firing until the danger is gone

3 Likes

Ok HwyHog. I understand now.:blush:

1 Like

Only sort of interesting, but @TexasEskimo who was a regular around here, generally helpful, but with strong opinions, like some others, was last seen on these boards in August.

Perhaps heā€™d had enough of this chatter and differing opinions. Hasnā€™t contributed sinceā€¦

2 Likes

@Glock27ccw, well, @John305 did not use the ā€œ@ā€ when he referenced @TexasEskimo, so it is possible he did not read the reply.

2 Likes

I very much miss @TexasEskimo and hope he comes back.

3 Likes

I was taught awareness and assess. I find myself looking at the people around me and assess by threat level, then make sure I am aware and alert to those individuals.

2 Likes