How often do you field strip tp clean your carry weapon and how often do you rotate the ammo in it?

My carry gun gets about 3-5K rounds down the tube every year (ammo shortage or not).

I clean it down to the bones every other decade or so. After a good long day at the range I will wipe out the rails with the corner of a cleaning rag and add new “fluids” to the same. I don’t think I have really cleaned the bore in the last 15 years. I have found no benefit to scrubbing the gun clean after every range trip or every so many months if not fired. I have shot guns to well over 1K rounds per day with nothing more than a general wipe down and slide to rail clean and lube and back into the game the next day for a repeat. Clean the gun when it slows down, other than that shoot it till it does. Learn your platforms limitations. Will you ever be in a 5K round gun fight with a pistol? Good googly moogly I hope not but if you know your stick is good from one to 5K rounds there is a bit of confidence there.

Cheers,

Craig6

5 Likes

I don’t clean them, I just buy new ones when they start to jam, like when a Mercedes gets a flat tire, just buy a new one​:rofl::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

My field strip cleanings are generally done after 250 range rounds or so, unless the ammo seemed unusually “rimfire-ish”. Minimum post range is wipe down and re-lube.

1 Like

I field strip/clean my EDC once a month. It seems to get a lot of lint and unspeakable stuff on it from being inside of my pants. I only have one cleaning method so I do the same “clean” after going to the range. My Kimber isn’t too finicky, it works clean or not. My Springfield seems to work better if it’s kept clean so it get’s a little more attention.

3 Likes

Something kido and I talked about. Say, there is a shoots fired incident and the police round everyone up to try to find out what happened. They find out that you have a legal firearm. The ask for it and upon inspection, it looks like it has been fired. They ask and you respond, I went to the range last weekend and just haven’t gotten around to cleaning it. Do they believe you? Can you actually prove it? Are you in a heap of poop?

3 Likes

Under what premise will “the police round everyone up?” Have we just become another communist country?

“Legal firearm?” What in blazes is that? Compared to what? (Yeah, I know…compared to full-auto, etc.)

“They ask for it…” That better be in the form of a warrant.

2 Likes

I don’t know, around here if someone get’s shot the police get really curious. def: Legal firearm - not a felon, over 21, concealed carry permit… you know all of those little things called laws that most of us respect and abide by.

1 Like

Hmmm

None of those are firearms. The first two are personal characteristics, the third is something one has

1 Like

That’s funny!

I wish I took a picture now but I literally took a wheel off my Mercedes this morning and put it in the hot tub to locate a slow leak. It was where I suspected, the TPMS, otherwise known as the valve, not the Schrader but the valve housing. I don’t think they were designed with salt water boat launching in mind.

1 Like

Wordsmith much?

1 Like

Other than self defense amo i reload. I remember Remington use to have ( CLEAN BORE ) or something like that on amo boxes. The idea was : firing your gun after cleaning put a protective coating in the firearm ??? PS DOSNT AMO MADE EARLIER THEN 1953 have corrosive primers, so not a good thing to do with old surplus amo. :us::us::us:

1 Like

Typically I clean the weapon every month, involves disassembly, wiping all parts/removing lint, re oil, function check.
Ammo I remove and oil mag and springs usually every 6 months. That’s also when I’ll cycle ammo around. Change ammo if not expended by then yearly. Due to the shortage, the ammo I will keep for a little longer then usual, self defense rounds typically have good quality control and sealed primers, so I’m not to worried

1 Like

Not sure I understand the reason for changing ammo! I am under the assumption that ammo will remain viable for many years. Am I wrong!!?

No, if that is your opinion. There’s many ideas and techniques to carrying. If you feel comfortable with using your self defense ammo for years, then that is your choice.
I heard about switching ammo out from a couple of old cops and sheriffs. They did it because your constantly moving from different climates for months which “ might” affect the ammo.
It’s one of those things- better to do it and be out a little cash, because if you don’t, it could cost your life.
I’ve seen ammo go years In someone’s weapon and still work fine. I’ve also seen ammo that was loaded into the breech to many times, causing wear and ultimately making the gun fail.
It’s a school of thought, not exactly a rule…but it would be a good rule to make. In my humble opinion.

3 Likes

Understood… I don’t go to the range enough to burn off a lot of ammo. Wish I lived in a setting where I could go in my back yard and do much needed practice but most of my practice is with snapcaps in my home. Must be OK because I had no problem when I requalified so my ammo is mostly old!!! Guess I better buy more new ammo and cycle the old out… that will be enjoyable.

Your comment is deeper than what it appears. Lots of considerations and opportunities. Changing ammo to even that of the same brand but a different lot number can create slight changes in performance.
Carrying the same ammo is different than having it stored in an ammo box in a cool dry location and being jostled around daily. Being exposed to sweat, heat, cold, rain, oil, etc.
As mentioned previously is I buy several hundred rounds of the same lot number. I store what I do not expect to use right away in ideal conditions. Each year I shoot the 50 or so rounds I have carried about during the year. I see exactly how the ammo I am using is performing. See if there are any changes after a year of shooting non-carry ammo. I ALWAYS save my last target, date, time, conditions etc so I can compare from beginning of year to end.
All that said, never had a misfire. Never been significant changes. But I know, I dont have to guess about performance. It just makes me comfortable to know I have gone one step further to knowing how my firearm is going to function each year with the exact ammo I carry, not practice ammo.
I have run into significant performance differences between practice ammo and high end carry ammo. I might also add, if you are able to shoot at night, you will likely see a huge difference in “flash blindness” between the practice and carry.
Just my 2 cents.

4 Likes

Field strip, clean and lube after each use. Once a month I swap magazines, then unload and reload the ‘old’ one to prevent the same two rounds (one from each magazine) from being chambered over and over.
I don’t keep a lot of spare ammunition, perhaps 100 rounds of FMJ, and 200 or so JHP on hand.

1 Like

What do you do for ammo when none is available? OH! We are already there with an ammo shortage.

Depends on the gun. 1911s about every 100-300 rounds depending on which 1911 I’m shooting. Glocks when I remember or they start bleeding crud in to my hand :joy:

I don’t rotate ammo, I shoot my SD ammo at the begging of many range sessions and then go through my drills and reload with fresh SD ammo when I’m done.

1 Like

Woke up wide awake at midnight :flushed:. Fixed some coffee and cleaned 2 pistols while watching gun channels on you tube…

4 Likes