How often do you clean your firearm?

I just wear a different one in the shower each day. A little extra shampoo on dirtier days. It’s called rotation cleaning. Oh yeah. Don’t tell anybody, but that splash-on after bath oil keeps them lubed.
Don’t look at me in that tone of voice!

3 Likes

You’re thinking about it right now orange u?
Put your produce down in the tub during the process.
Multi tasking.
My idea of multi tasking: I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time with amazing proficiency. Just try me…huh?

4 Likes

:laughing: @Bugleboy
I am contemplating an ultrasonic cleaner as my hubby’s Christmas gift, but if I deploy your tactic, I’m going to have to get a bigger model. :joy:

1 Like

We all have to make sacrifices.

1 Like

rotfl!!! you guys are the best!!! @Zee I’ve heard great things about the ultrasonic cleaners for our guns, just never heard of one for us! If you find one, send me the link, okay? lol @Bugleboy you are too much. I especially like how you can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time! That’s skill! You guys really make me laugh! Thanks for that!

2 Likes

I think the last time I did a detail strip and clean was about 10 years ago :no_mouth: That said I have pulled the slide wiped down the rails, mag well and feed ramp and relubed after a session that included shooting Bullseye powder. It probably only has 2 - 3K rounds through it since the last serious cleaning. Should be good for another 2 -3K. Might chuck into a can of Varisol prior to a detail strip and scrub her down but then I have to do the whole assembly lube thing which consists of soaking it in a can of 10W40 and Butches Bore Shine prior to cycling the snot out of it before wiping it down and putting 500 rounds through it wet. Makes for a nice weekend of blasting as long as I remember to finish what I started.

I build my guns to operate in any condition, I use the best technological enhancements in lubrication that I can find to ensure that there is lubricity no matter what condition. Carbon is part of that equation. Un burn’t powder however is something that needs to be addressed immediately. I suggest Brake Cleaner followed by hosing down the firearm with CLP (Military thing for Clean, Lubricate, Protect) there are other better things such as Duo-film.

Much more to be said about cleaning guns, especially long arms as well as the notion that you have to scrub the bore after every shooting. If anyone is interested I will sit down and type out the whole compendium of how we have the wives tails of gun cleaning today.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

Are you looking at the big Hornady cleaner?

1 Like

Ever notice you can only see your eyelashes? You can’t really see the insides unless you pull them away from your eyes, and they’re even pointed toward your eyes. You just see dark when you try. And you sure can’t see the outside of your eye lids.
I know you’re trying right now. Man youre gullible. I can’t believe you’d try anything I suggest!
Just having fun when I know none of you can throw anything at me.

1 Like

After every range trip. For the carry, after the range or once a month if it hasn"t been yo the range.

1 Like

@Bugleboy you’re definitely a mental case! lol And for the record, I didn’t try to see my eyelashes or lids – I’m gullible, but even I have my limits! lol

@Craig6 I’m interested in your list of wive’s tales regarding cleaning. Sounds useful.

@45IPAC Are you looking at a sonic gun cleaner, too? I’m interested…

1 Like

How often do you clean your firearm?

A answer to a very easy question. Some ammos’ are very dirty and your firearm will require more TLC; cleaning becomes more often.

Inspection is needed every time you train with your firearm and always choose a
ammunition that is quality and know to be clean when used. There are several and your cleaning time can be made less frequently done.

I clean around 200 rounds, but always inspect often.

Sincerely yours

1 Like

I bought a little fold up table and stools so I can sit on the deck and enjoy while I clean multiples.
It’s long enough for rifles but pretty narrow. It doesn’t take up so much space that I can’t move around the other furniture etc on the deck. Got it at Aldi’s pretty cheap.

2 Likes

@Craig6 you and my husband may be related.
His motto is “if it ain’t broke, don’t clean it” :woman_facepalming:

Interested to see your writeup

1 Like

@45IPAC that’s the one.

2 Likes

I don’t think it works on guns… cars… computers… or anything what has moving parts :sweat_smile:
It does definitely work on MacOS and Linux systems :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

:laughing: @Jerzees
His basic strategy is…

• if it’s working, don’t clean it… might be the dirt holding it together
  • if it’s broken, ya shoulda cleaned it yesterday, but ok, do it today and maybe that will fix it
  • if it’s still broken after you’ve cleaned it, fix it.

:woman_facepalming::joy:

@Zee
:sweat_smile::rofl::joy::laughing:

So the lesson is: “if it ain’t broke - don’t clean it. If it’s broken - don’t touch it” :joy:

1 Like

No. If it’s broken, blame somebody else.

2 Likes

@Bugleboy usually, that’ll be me. Because I’m the one who cleaned it :smile:

1 Like

@Zee… don’t clean it, it won’t break. So combining this with “if it ain’t broke, don’t clean it” it can be concluded that cleaning doesn’t have any sense at all :joy:

1 Like