How Many People Live in Condition White?

Depending on where you are on your self-defense and protection journey, you’re probably aware of Col. Jeff Cooper’s Awareness Color Chart and are living in condition yellow. To paraphrase Col. Cooper:

For example, someone in condition White will be walking down the street with headphones on, their face in their phone and could walk into someone/something because they’re not paying attention.

Someone in condition yellow has their head up and is continually looking around and aware of what others around them are doing.

Based on your personal experiences, what percentage of people walk around in condition white most of the time?

• less than 10% of people
  • 11-25% of people
  • 26-50% of people
  • 51-75% of people
  • greater than 75% of people

0 voters

Please give examples of what you’ve seen people do.

Examples will help all of us see where we may slip into condition white from time to time.

5 Likes

@Dawn I’m in Yellow all the time
I voted for 75% because either people don’t know or they’re believing nothing could ever happen to them.

4 Likes

Exactly this.

4 Likes

I voted 75% because I think that almost that many don’t know what the conditions are, and have never thought about them.

3 Likes

@Dawn

My personal experience, I don’t get out alot socially, not really a people person. So most of my interactions take place @ hospitals, dog park, the movies, gun range or @ the University my wife works at. I have had people step off the curb in front of my car because they had their phones and earbuds in and just stepped out into traffic.

Or joggers, who are running down trails with music on and paying 0 attention to their surrounding. Even, asleep I am probably in condition yellow (yes I do sleep that lightly). To me it’s completely mind boggling how few people are alert and keeping condition yellow as a minimum.

7 Likes

Cell phones… everyone who walks around like the world is on that screen. I play a game when I see someone walking towards me and they’re buried in that phone I stop walking and let them walk right into me. When they look up, I say welcome back, smile and go on about my day.

6 Likes

I’ll admit, I’m a cell phone addict. :frowning: When I use my phone I’m stationary with my back to a wall and the phone at almost eye hight so I can see around it easily. If I’m walking in a group of people I know and using my cell phone, I’m using talk to text and only a slight glance to make sure that autocorrect didn’t make the message obscene or completely wrong.

It’s not optimal, it’s something I have to work on. :iphone: :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

I voted 51-75.
Still believe in my generation. We don’t walk with earbuds and cellphones in front of the eyes.
Maybe it’s not YELLOW yet, but having clear mind and not being destructed it is easy to transit from WHITE to YELLOW.
In place I live everybody is relaxed, however we pay attention to surroundings (and that’s why we live relaxed).
Once I’m in the crowd I’m aware of everything around me.
City of Chicago changes my behavior… condition ORANGE is a must untill I leave the City…

4 Likes

I kinda wish I was oblivious to everything. The people who walk around and drive with no clue seem to be happy. It’s the people who have a clue that get frustrated.

5 Likes

Funny you should ask. I was downtown for a bank run and any time I am there I play Pokemon Go (blame my kids, I know all about it…). Anyway, I would always stand with my back against a building and continually looking at anyone that was remotely near me.

2 Likes

Ignorance is bliss at times… :frowning:

6 Likes

I dont know what %. I am not in Yellow at all times. Vision+hearing+paying attention is the formula for Condition Yellow. Whenever someone is answering a text, he or she drops to White. Anytime you disable your hearing with headphones, you are not fully in Yellow.

2 Likes

@Alexander8
I disagree. I walk my dog frequently with earbuds in and nobody sneaks up on me. There is a subtle art to it. I have had people try and prove me wrong in the past few years and I have one every time. I know I sound arrogant but it’s the truth.

It’s no different than yesterday on my way home I had the music cranked (Lita Ford) and the old guy in the lane next to me turned into my lane. I was fortunate that there wasn’t anyone in the oncoming lane so I swerved there while hitting the horn. That was my only option as I had a car in front and behind, otherwise he would have hit me, which of course would have been his fault. My point is you can be aware at all times. That guy also lives up the street from me. I elected to NOT follow him home and chew him out.

When you have had a drink or 2, your awareness certainly suffers. Otherwise, I am pretty confident in my awareness.

2 Likes

You’re right, there is an art to being situationally aware at all times. Having earbuds in on very low is kind of like having sunglasses on or even walking with a child, you can be aware but you’ll probably be a little less focused because of the distraction/level of interference.

Does that mean you should never wear earbuds or go for a walk with a child? Heck no! It means you should know your limitations and make adjustments accordingly.

5 Likes

@Dawn

I think this came from years ago (like 20) when I was the janitor at our church and never locked the door when I was there (before my carry days and cell phones). Friends of mine wanted to go to dinner and knew where I was. They sneaked in and scared the **&(&^%@%$)&^ out of me. I swore never again would that happen. The first step was to lock myself in…the 2nd was to be aware. When I started to carry, I learned how much more aware or as I call it, “hyper aware” I was. You don’t go back on that.

4 Likes

Well I grew up in Chicago South Side in the 1950’s & 1960’s @Jerzees and I don’t want to go back in the city limits. Last time I was there in 2016 I was shot by a banger lost my left index finger but saved my life. Now I have pain every day since in my left hand. Don’t want medication because it makes me feel worse because constipation and ear ringing.

5 Likes

The number of people walking and looking at their phones amazes me. They just walk out in front of you while they keep on crossing the street without looking up.

4 Likes

Here in FL there is a strong Darwinian selection factor, pedestrian vs car is often in the news.

Levels of distraction are very personal. My kids distract me enough in a restaurant, that I realize I’ve stopped watching the entrance.

2 Likes

I agree with @Dawn, I walk my dogs all the time, and I listen to music through one ear bud, while keeping the other ear free of distractions. My dogs are pretty well trained so I can walk them on multiple leashes in left hand and keep my right hand ready. I stop they stop, I move they move.

Plus my dogs always alert whenever someone or something is in the vicinity.

The one place that really stresses me is when I am in my car. There is a part of town I have to drive through to reach another part of town (without having to make a 20+ minute detour). I drive a very nice, very expensive convertible. So when I drive through that area I am borderline red. If I have to stop for a light I leave multiple car lengths, between me and the car in front of me, so I have options. Also I move my CC from on body to a magnetic holster, for ease of access. Once I am out of that area, I drop down to yellow.

2 Likes

Kids are so distracting! Mine are adults, but my granddaughter is incredibly distracting now. But knowing that my daughter is aware and focused on my daughter means I can be aware and focused on the things going on around me.

1 Like