How long do you wait before shooting?

I just sat on a jury where a guy shot someone (shot eight times hit 4 times), the defense called it self defense, the prosecutor proved otherwise. I that case the knife was never pulled off of the guys belt. He attacked but with open hands.

1 Like

What was the verdict?
No one dies from an unarmed attacker
says no reasonable man ever.

1 Like

We convicted him:

2 Likes

So why did the police shoot right away even if the threat is unarmed and did not represent a deadly danger?

1 Like

Wow. Loaded question. Is this a trespasser, a fight, domestic, antifa, or someone you just peeved off? Imminent threat of bodily harm or death to you or someone else must be met BUT, can you diffuse or retreat from this threat? Some states have stand your ground laws some don’t. Now this old cop will tell if you started it you best retreat. No weapon should be displayed unless you need to use it for the above mentioned reasons. So many scenarios not enough information.

6 Likes
4 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @jcksnt and you are in the right place at the right time.

4 Likes

@jcksnt Welcome to the community! We are glad to have you. Every officer involved shooting cannot be lumped into one question.

9 Likes

As soon as you see furtive movement!

2 Likes

If they keep advancing yes, But if they are armed whether they continue to advance or not may not make any differnce with their intentions

2 Likes

You wait until there is an imminent threat of serious physical injury or death.

12 Likes

As always thank you very much for your time, actual attorney responses are greatly appreciated

2 Likes

Basically my last safe distance is 10 yards,the first stop is about 20 yds,the second is about 15 yards and I draw my weapon and hold at the low ready,at 10 yards my weapon is up and I light up the nose with my on demand laser,then it is entirely up to the person whether he lives or dies,and at the same time my peripheral vision is full active, I have actually had a cofrontation and at the 10 yard range the guy realized he was dead if he took another step,I saw his eyes change when he went cross eyed when the laser lit him up,so he turned and left,it was his lucky day

3 Likes

Be mindful of how quickly an able bodied person can cover 15 yards.

Edit: Slightly disregard, I was thinking feet at first.

5 Likes

Even 15 yards can be covered pretty fast.
Average running speed of healthy man in short distance is about 10 mph, so 15 yards can be covered within 3 seconds.
It is still dangerous.

4 Likes

yes I know that at 15 yards can be covered fast,but my training did pay off,and at about 15 yards i did automatically draw the weapon to the low ready as I had already told him to stop at 20 yards,and the second stop at about 15 yards as I drew to the low ready,and at about 10 yards I told him to stop again and I lit him up between the eyes and at time his eyes changed and he went cross eyed and he did realize that if he took another step he was dead,he realized I was deadly serious, and that is when he turned and left,his girlfreind apparently call the LEO and when they showed,the DA had me charged with BRANDISHING and told the judge I was not BRANDISHING and that I was deadly serious and it was up to him if he took another step,while I was being interragated one of the people that i was staying with <i gave them the USCCA card and asked the person to call the # and They call one of their atty"s and he referred to another ATTY that was closer to YAKIMA Wa. than he was and he showed up the next day when I was released with no bail,so the DA strecthed it out and was found that it was self defence and it took 3 months and got back to Texas Feb 2nd 2020,but USCCA saved me $3,000 dollars and it was worth the membership i paid since 2017 so I am sold on the USCCA,they do take care of you

3 Likes

I can just imagine that prosecutor from the Rittenhouse case arguing “according to self-defense experts on the USCCA community, you should have waited until the threat was x yards or y seconds away before firing.”

3 Likes

you really know how one will react at the time it happens,and that is why training memory is so important to training!

3 Likes

Addition to above post (will not know)

2 Likes

Again, I’ll say, after sitting on a jury in a shooting where the defense claimed self defense and the State claimed otherwise. You do not know what the jury is thinking, in our case some started at self defense others started at revenge. The prosecutor can say what ever they want, it’s the jury that has to be convinced. In our case “The Knife” was actually never brandished or pulled out so we convicted the guy.

2 Likes