How long do you spend on the range?

No time limits, but to be fair, when I see a line start to form and I’m pleased with my performance for that day, I’ll make room for others to shoot. Socializing is at a minimum, especially on the line!
Now that time I expressed 2 - 3 hours was, during a time in our lives when ammo was at the ready and not $20.00 a round, and “Pandemic” was a sci-fi movie!

1 Like

One hour, only because I work my range days in at lunch while working.

Where is that, @Daniel22? Sounds like an awesome range! I’d rarely leave :smiley:

1 Like

A Harry Potter reference? You win the post of the day! :smile:

2 Likes

Here you can see the PVC target stands I made. you can either do 18" or 24" lengths. It takes 14’ of 2" PVC and 4 “T’s” to build one if you use 24". The backers are drywall screwed to 1" x 2" x 6’ s. You can PVC Cement them all together, certain segments or just press fit them every time depending on your trunk/truck space. I have also found that if you drill a hole holes in the “feet” you can use 9" timber nails to good effect in most soils otherwise you might need sandbags if the wind is blowing.

I couldn’t find a pic of my steel stand but essentially it is a 6.5’ saw horse with a couple of hooks screwed into the cross bar to hang grade 43 truckers chain off of. Make sure the open part of the hook is facing you otherwise if you hit it hard enough the chain will come off the hook. If you shoot steel with a wooden saw hose WEAR GLOVES the spalling is razor sharp and gets embedded in the wood.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

My range (and targets)…

No time limits, and barely any people – certainly not within a quarter mile. So three to four hours is a great time; maybe as relaxing as fishing. A little solitude to focus on what I’m doing, and enjoy time away from the craziness that abounds.

My target frame, btw, is 1x2s, assembled with cabinet screws. The upper frame is 20" x 30" on the outside, exactly the right size for stapling a small foam board from the local office supply. That lasts longer than you might think, but when it gets to look like the inset, needs replacing.

3 Likes

It is in Caswell County in North Carolina.One rule which I think is great, if you drink any alcohol in the lounge you are forbidden to return to the range to shoot.

3 Likes

When I have the place to myself, which is most of the time, I’ll be there for hours!!!

Thanks for posting. I actually have some old pvc I used for an outdoor movie screen at my old house.

It will be a while before I get to it but I will let you know how it goes.

Getting old is not for sissies! With Arthritis & Trigger finger in both hands I find that squeeze ball exercise reduces the stiffness and tendency to lock-up. Also helps with grip when racking the slide on a semi-auto! :sunglasses:

1 Like

'til I’m ready to go home. Usually 3+/- hours, sometimes 2, sometimes 6. Once a week generally. All mags filled for trip home, being out of ammo is not something I care to experience. Pistol/rifle, sometimes a tactical shotgun, feel like I should get back into archery and trap but the gun room is pretty full as it is.

1 Like

“How long do you spend on the range?”

Two hours. That’s the limit that each person gets where I am a member. Plenty of time to accomplish what I need to do.

Stay safe out there.

3 Likes

How long at the range? I have spent as little as 30 minutes if stopping in just before they close or as much as several hours. The longest by myself is about 3 hours. Close to 5 with others when sharing the lanes.

3 Likes

I spend two hours normally but on steel target night I will be there for three to four hours. 30 feet with 6 - 6 inch targets with 6 rounds and 6 rounds in the second magazine incase you miss! Competition shooting one on one.

2 Likes

The range we’ve been going to, is an indoor range. You rent a lane and it’s yours for all day if you want. But you can shoot pistols, rifles and that all on same lane. Between my wife and I, we’re there an hour and a half or so. Do what we have to do for our drills and that, and move on out so someone else can get at it.

2 Likes

I shoot at home. I would say typically I shoot maybe 2-3 times a year for maybe 45 minutes each session. I usually have a goal in mind when I shoot, zeroing a scope etc. It dosent take that long, 10 shots maybe. I am past the stage of doing drills etc. Between my back and shoulders I am happy to just be able to stand. Occasionally I will shoot for an hour just to confirm my sights and stay familiar with my firearm function and response. However long it takes to feel very comfortable sights are dead nuts on, weapon is functioning perfect and I am happy with my aim.
edit: I have done massive amounts of shooting and training in the past, so its more just to keep my edge. I am already quite familiar with my weapons, their performance and have gone through all the drills many times in the past when I was able to.

2 Likes

My “range” is the desert just outside town, so there are no limits. But usually I am there for some specific training exercise, so usually about an hour tops.

1 Like

I generally go to this outdoor range that’s pretty good and shoot for about 2 hours. I try to be specific with my training. Rifle training includes standing, kneeling, prone shooting and doing tactical reloads. Low-ready to shoot, High-ready to shoot…

They don’t let you draw from AIWB but can draw from OWB so I’ll do some pistol drills to practice the draw stroke and reloads. This weekend I’m going and want to work on transition from rifle to pistol.

2 Likes

i usually like to meet whos there talk a little, talk with the owner, i meet alot of cool and down to earth people at the range, then i shoot/ practice for about an hour,50 to 150 rds, 2 guns, both my EDC . and some times bring my little plinker 22 also.im a springfield guy. love both my XD’s. Its an indoor shooting range i go to… I haven’t had the chance to go to a outdoor one yet.

1 Like