How has the ammo shortage affected your training? How have you adapted?

Well I tell you I’m not going to the range as much as I would like to. The ammo prices at the range have sky rocketed making it hard for people to want to go shooting. I practice dry fire drills every other day in front of a mirror. You have to do something to keep up your muscle memory. Now is the time we have to watch training videos on USCCA and watch a lot of our favorite YouTube channels.

2 Likes

I agree a 100% :+1:

2 Likes

I’ve increased dry fire practice with my SIRT pistol and greatly reduced the amount of ammo used during my live fire sessions. I’ve reduced the expenditure of live ammk in my classes by using the SIRTS much more as a partial substitute for live fire. Many of my students report that they can’t get ammo at any price. People are hesitant to sign up for classes due to the shortage of ammo.

2 Likes

I have plenty of 22 ammo and this little gadget. I don’t have to dip into the stockpile.

2 Likes

Snap Caps dry fire.

3 Likes

Wife and I stopped by Academy to pickup some extra 380 ammo for her Sig. Just like the media said, the shelves were almost empty. About the only things left were 7.62, 5.56, shotgun shells and…OMG 4 boxes of 380’s. We gathered them up and headed for the checkout. At home I have a pretty good stockpile of 9 mm for my Glocks, about 1700 rounds. Last year I bought an itarget so I really don’t use any ammo to practice. I realize it’s not the real thing but it does train the muscle memory and I don’t worry about the empty shelves.

2 Likes

I have 3 weapons that I just bought in the last month or so and I’ve been going to the range every other week depending on how busy work gets. I have 2 9 mm and a 45 cal, I can get unlimited 45 ammo from my local gun range so that is not an issue. 9 mm is a lot harder and I try to buy around 5 boxes a week when I can find it which leads to getting a case a month. When I go to the range I go with a purpose and only do certain drills that only use 1 maybe 2 boxes of ammo maxed, the rest of the time I spend training with the Mantis X which also helps me with what I need to work on when I do go to the range.

2 Likes

My practice time looking I to dry fire practice

2 Likes

Severally limited it.
Was twice a month+ with multiple weapons and wife practice too.
Now, maybe once every 3 months (ARGH!).
Wife has bought 2 new guns for HER and this forced acquisition of 2 new calibers.
Otherwise I do have a “stock” “in case”.
I am looking toward a PCP air rifle and molds to make the pellets (.457 or .50 caliber AirForce)

1 Like

For me with a handgun it’s all about target aquisition!
You can practice these drills indoor 24/7 and never fire a shot.
The quicker you can bring focus to the sights on target, that’s the name of the game!

1 Like

Dry firing is about all the attention Roscoe and Madam Slabsides are getting these days

1 Like