How far do you go for gun cleaning?

Curious how much everyone puts into gun cleaning? Here is a little write up of what I do. Enjoy! THREE DECADES OF GUN CLEANING: WHAT I’VE DISCOVERED - The Classic Woodsman

6 Likes

As far as I need to for the individual gun and degree of fouling or neglect in the case of some of my “rescues”. All the way from a quick wipe down and lubrication for a Glock during a multi day shooting course to bringing a gun down to a pile of individual parts.

There is no set formula.

9 Likes

Welcome

2 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

The one thing I will say about cleaning is, I spend a lot more time on my EDC’s, take down nook and cranny, the white glove thing so to speak, than I do my hobby guns. Don’t get me wrong, you could eat off my fun guns (if you can tolerate the taste of Lucas) but they won’t pass the hidden black stripe test that my Kimber of Springfield will.

6 Likes

@Eric384 , welcome to the Community. :handshake:

I think I’m in the moment when I more enjoy cleaning the firearms than shooting them. :smirk:
I’m guessing this might be because I’m very peaceful person and I prefer relax over stress. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

My semiauto handguns require about 5 minutes to wipe down and run a few patches through, so I usually just do it. Once in a great while (few years), I remove the striker to clean the channel it’s in.

Revolvers and lever guns get a good cleaning every range trip. It takes a little bit longer. With the Henry Big Boys, I remove the lever, bolt, and ejector so that I can clean the barrel breech to muzzle, but I don’t do this with my Winchesters. Every few years or so I might disassemble them for a more thorough cleaning and lubrication. It’s safe to say that, unlike with the semi-autos, this is driven less by a desire to perform necessary maintenance than because I like to have them clean. I don’t collect firearms as such, and all my guns are for shooting, but I have been known to enjoy having them as a collector would. My polymer semiautos, by contrast, are just tools to me.

Bolt guns that prove they have excellent gas seal will get wiped down. I use a bore snake on the rimfire ones.

Hello and welcome @Eric384
When mine get dirty I trade them in for clean ones. :grinning:
In reality every time I get back from the range.

6 Likes

Boresnake and some quick patches to wipe down (hit the feed ramp of a pistol in particular) with CLP after firing. Quick n dirty. They don’t need to be ‘clean’

Oil/Grease liberally

The liberal application of lube is the most important thing, by far

AR’s, similar, push the pins into upper/lower, boresnake barrel, remove BCG and break it down a bit (remove cam pin, firing pin, bolt from carrier), wipe that down with CLIP and a rag, oil it up and put it back. Get a little lube in the trigger springs in the lower

3 Likes

Think I’m on the anal side, I do the owners manual cleaning after each use. I also, do an every 3-6 month clean of firearms not fired regularly. I’m through in the running of patches through the bore, and like to have a clean patch before I call it good, no matter how long it takes. But on average, after a 200-300 round day at the range it takes me about 1-1.5 hours per firearm to clean.

2 Likes

Hello and welcome @William_C5

1 Like

That’s…a very long time.

If I fire 300 rounds at the range in a defensive pistol, like a Glock, I spend…3-7 minutes?

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be more cost-effective if you just don’t shoot them, so they never get dirty?

A 2024-01-10 20-46-40

3 Likes

Thanks!

2 Likes

Yeah, but like I said, I’m anal…LOL.

1 Like

Or, start a career with the IRS and get all my guns and ammunition for free?

3 Likes

Give @William_C5 some time. It’s like driving new car. You start slow, obeying every single rule, thinking if the engine is not overworked… and then you don’t even realize you drive 20 mph over speed limit and forget changing oil on time. :joy:
One day he will be below 10 minutes… once he stop doing owners manual cleaning after each use :yum:

4 Likes

Wow… that is the moment my wife becomes upset and shows me the other room I’m gonna sleep whole night. :flushed:

2 Likes

But who is paying for CLP?

1 Like

You are. :grinning:
It will be attached to a Firearms Reduction Act that will be signed into law by Pritzker.

2 Likes