How far do you go for gun cleaning?

I think some of this has to do with how many firearms you own too. I remember when I only owned a few guns I’d lovingly spend time spotlessly cleaning all of them after a range day.

Now I have guns I have not cleaned……

or seen…

in years :rofl:

6 Likes

Somebody became very lazy… it is not a good example for new shooters … :crazy_face:

2 Likes

@Jerzees not sure I’ll change, been doing it this way for 50+ years, and now that I’m retired, I’m in no hurry, so I just take my time and enjoy the art of cleaning…LOL.

3 Likes

My life expectancy will not allow me to clean every gun I own for an hour. Hell I spent 2 hours today just sorting empty brass for reloading… :rofl::rofl::rofl:

6 Likes

Basic field strip.

2 Likes

Yeah… i’m doing the same, but I’m busy man so I limit this enjoyment to 10 minutes per firearm. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I normally only go to my living room, though during my divorce I went all the way to my buddies house to clean my guns!

2 Likes

Welcome

2 Likes

I see what you TRIED to do there!

1 Like

While I still enjoy shooting more than cleaning, I do enjoy it. There’s no better way to end a day at the range than to light the BBQ, grab a beer, and clean & oil the guns on the back patio before putting them away. There’s something very peaceful about it.

3 Likes

Welcome @Eric384 and @William_C5 !

I personally do the field strip cleaning recommended in the owners manuals for any firearm I use at the range. My EDC gets cleaned right after it’s used then goes right back in the holster. Other firearms may take me a day or two to get to.

Disassembly beyond field strip is rare for me.

3 Likes

It largely depends on the firearm. For the most part, field strip. My 1911s get a more detailed cleaning about the time they need the recoil spring replaced. But I also clean the firing pin and extractor parts every couple of uses. The frame is pretty well sealed up for the most part. My CZ-75 on the other hand is like an AR where everything is exposed to crud so it needs a detailed strip/clean more often. I’ve put more rounds than I can count through my Benelli and only did a detailed cleaning once, after a Federal cartridge leaked some #8 shot inside and caused some issues. I was surprised at how clean everything was inside so that conditioned me to ignore it more than I should. It’s probably due for some attention.

It really all depends on the design of the firearm for me.

2 Likes

Same, about an hour every other week. My wife laughs at me, but it’s a clean machine.

1 Like

minion-alert

either beer or guns… never both together. :crazy_face: :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

That’s true. Especially extractor’s channel gets dirty as hell. Good thing is that 1911’s slide is so easy to disassembly it completely.

I found super easy method to clean my CZ-P01 (which is also 75 series) without struggling taking it apart.
I’ve been using Hornady OneShot with Dyna Glide Plus. Smells horribly but perfectly cleans and leaves thin layer of dry lubricant, so no needs to go very deep and lube parts in the frame.

2 Likes

Same for me, past field strip is very rare. I’ve done it to my Model 94 Win 30-30, and my Springfield 20g, but I’ve had those for a little more than 50 years, so I think they needed the extra care to remove some oils that turned to varnish, after being in a safe for 4 years while I was in Japan.

3 Likes

I have a sonic cleaner that I use. I like my guns clean

4 Likes