How do you modify your holster?

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/make-that-holster-your-own/

How do you modify your holster to make it your own?

So far only changing the paddles on my paddle holsters. But just ordered all new set ups for both pistols so we’ll see how much tweaking gets done.

1 Like

Other than adjustments that are built in like cant and height none. If a holster doesn’t work for me I’ll trash it and get another.

In my hybrid holsters, I’ll set height and cant to my liking. Then, if it’s too low in my pants, (inhibits pocket use)I cut the bottom leather as short as it can go. I usually trim the front/rear clip area as well. I have only cut the bottoms thus far. I dont know about the combat cut and what nots.

I really dislike “thumb-break” holsters, because I had all those tendons torn loose and have a really difficult time getting the snaps to let go. I replace the straps with a piece of cord, usually 3mm or so, that is sewn into the belt-side of the holster and a Velcro tab on the outside. by getting the Velcro parts “just-so” you can guarantee retention while still being able to draw without any extra steps just pull HARD and your pistol is free. I like the harder pull because it means no one can easily pull my pistol without my noticing it. A prankster tried it … once… his hand slipped off as the amount of force needed was beyond his guestimate… then he was looking at it in my hand… and rethinking the wisdom of his folly. Oooops!

If it is leather or half leather, soak in water for a bit the plastic bag unloaded weapon and insert and let dry. Fits it closer to your own persoalized carry piece.
Replace clips with ulticlip3’s for retension on pants not belt.
Kydex heat to make sure it holds securely by dimpling inside trigger guard and outside of guard and channel for front sight.

Well my latest custom job work was with a Dremel. Got a new red dot for my Glock 19 so I just grinded the Kydex so it fits perfect. Looks and feels great

1 Like

When I get a leather holster, I take it to my leather shop. He has a solution he drops it in and soaks it a few minutes. The holster will then break in quickly as it dries with the handgun being inserted for short periods over and over until dry. Of course finished leather products won’t take to forming like raw leather, but it sure helps break in and get the pull and reholster right.

Careful leaving a weapon in a damp holster. Rust is ugly.
Rust bad!
Use a plastic wrap or bag if you want.

1 Like

I’ve cut down the length on belt holsters, cut off the flap on an old holster, modified a military shoulder holster to eliminate the need for a cross-chest strap and done some other cute things. These days, if it isn’t IWB, I like to make my own, including shoulder-holsters. Practice makes perfect and I’m about to try to get artistic! (-:

I recently had to make a slight modification to a holster I had purchased for my Smith & Wesson M&P. The holster was for the 4.25” m&p and I had the 4”. I had recently done some modifications to it, like adding the Faxon slide and Blacklist Industries barrel. (Both were for 4.25” m&p) All my mods worked really well on the pistol but I needed to shave off a little kydex for a small variation in the slide. It now works great and is still quite safe as I didn’t do anything that would expose the trigger or adjust retention. It just sits a little lower in the holster.

1 Like

I modified a shoulder holster that I made for a Peacemaker with a 3 1/2" barrel. I had to remove the loop on the end of the holster that attached to the right side of my belt because it interfered with the barrel on my 4 3/4" Peacemaker. I was afraid that the holster would flop around too much, but it didn’t. Still, I plan to redesign the loop so that I can once again use it to attach to the belt. I’m afraid that my draw will be hindered if the pistol tries to take the holster with it! While I know this is an unusual weapon to carry, especially in a shoulder holster, it works well for me in the winter. I have small hips and belt holsters sometimes want to pull down and make me “hitch up” my pants, which might draw attention that I don’t want. In summer, I usually carry a semi-auto (still a .45) which rides comfortably in an IWB holster under about any shirt I choose to wear.