How about listening to music when cleaning our firearms?

How about listening to music when cleaning our firearms? Do you do it? If so, what favorite genre, format, radio station music, certain playlist? Does it add to the experience or deter from getting the chore done proper?

Another wrote about listening to music while cooking. That reminded me how it can make what would at first seem like a hard but important chore habit to learn, but turn it into a more relaxing time. :blush:

7 Likes

Yes I do! All different kinds, really donā€™t have a favorite. One day it could be Fleetwood Mac another Motley Crue, another George Strait. Sources-radio, Pandora, SiriusXM, Music Choice off the TV. I always have music playing, I drive an hour each way to work and always have tunes on!

5 Likes

I love listening to the music doing almost everything.
Cleaning firearms is not exception here.
What kind of music? It depends on current mood. 80ā€™, jazz, sometimes even metal.
I just hate silence. :zipper_mouth_face:
ā€¦
and rap. :wink:

Pandora is my source.

5 Likes

I do, usually metal 70-80ā€™s stuff, I do have a little scream o in my play list along with Nat King Cole(sp) and Philharmonic stuff.

3 Likes

Distractions must be avoided when cleaning fire arms (uscca for firearms) therefore it is not advisable to listen to music while cleaning them.

1 Like

Why do you think you misspelled his name?

I can also appreciate that point. Definitely no live ammo in the same room. :slight_smile:

Good vibes.

1 Like

I have a years long playlist in my head. It doesnā€™t get played when Iā€™m in the gunroom generally.
Iā€™ll listen to an external source of music sometimes while working out, generally punk, metal or something up tempo in line with my reps, and watch concert footage a bit, Iron Maiden and Deep Purple kick the past week.
Went to so many shows,roadied for my kids and brother in laws bands,chainsaw or firearm several days a week, decades of dragsters, jets and helicoptersā€¦ I appreciate the ā€œsounds of silenceā€ these days in lieu of background music.

4 Likes

Enter Sandman on a loop.

3 Likes

Now that we all have internet in our pockets, these little (and full blown) bluetooth speakers can really fill a room with rich sound. Some of those little bose ones are dang near indestructible.

I have been listening to https://www.accuradio.com/ a lot. There still are some commercials but not nearly as abusive as airwave broadcasts.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve reached a point where I already heard all the great music I love.
I now listen to podcasts to keep my mind sharp when reading is not possible.
My playlist includes Mike Rowe, Ben Shapiro, Alistair Begg, and Steven Lawson.

2 Likes

If music becomes a distraction, itā€™s time to start dry fire practice with the music.
Otherwise you will be districted anytime you go outside your house.

6 Likes

I myself dont listen to music, tv off, no distractions what so ever, Im not a super experienced guy in this field YET, but yea I just rather have quiet and no distractions. And do the job at hand. I donā€™t want to miss something or put something wrong. Iā€™m learning still. to be a gunsmith or firearms instructor, at my age. not sure yet, an injury at work, cause me to not be able to do my job in construction any more, after 45+ years. and need a new careerā€¦ Carry be safe and God Blessā€¦
Robertā€¦

4 Likes

Cleaning should be muscle memory, same with reloading ā€” let your subconscious watch for errors.

Repairs, or working up a new load, involves decisions your memory doesnā€™t know yet ā€” let your subconscious listen to the music. :innocent:

5 Likes

If I am having a good Addisonā€™s day I like to listen to listen to ā€œEnigma:Sounds of Safenessā€. Gregorian chants and selected readings from the " Marquisā€™s De Sade".

Very calming and soothing.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s pablum, bro. Try some s.o.a.dā€¦

Iā€™m a badass and can take it for 20 minutes before wondering wtf am I listening too. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Workout music at 62, Iā€™m finding Faith no Mores beat is absolute perfection 'til I pull a muscle or three :muscle::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

No music just the task at hand

5 Likes

I drink many suds while cleaning and reloading.

2 Likes

Do it all the time. Listen to soft relaxing music while cleaning my firearms. Never bothered me a bit. Before I know it, firearm is clean as a whistle. Ready for the next one. :slightly_smiling_face:
j@1

2 Likes

I have severe tinnitus and listen to music all day long

3 Likes